Time to lock and load...

Mighty Favog

Found one of these on my deck on the trail cam...

About 15-years ago I found one on our porch that exhibited hostile intent towards me. I shot point-blank range in the torso with a 45 ACP Starfire. It had a body about the same girth as one of my thighs......it walked away slowly as if it didn't care.

post-3464-0-83020000-1437945516_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Always liked them myself, very intelligent. We don't have them up here though. They were quite common in Ontario where I'm originally from many years ago. They have adapted to urban living quite well.

Here in Yellowknife foxes are the most common urban creature.

Edited by YK Thom
  • Like 2

We had a racoon that was wandering around in the day time near our driveway and appeared drunk, two of the signs it might have rabies.  My son took our Ruger 10/22 (.22 rifle with 10 round magazine) and emptied the clip into the thing.  It just kind of wandered off, so my son emptied the second 10 round clip into it.  It went into the woods and we never saw him again.

The racoon, not my son.  :rolleyes:

Tough critter!

• Like 3

We had a racoon that was wandering around in the day time near our driveway and appeared drunk, two of the signs it might have rabies.  My son took our Ruger 10/22 (.22 rifle with 10 round magazine) and emptied the clip into the thing.  It just kind of wandered off, so my son emptied the second 10 round clip into it.  It went into the woods and we never saw him again.

The racoon, not my son.  :rolleyes:

Tough critter!

Anything rabid is very dangerous and should be dispatched on sight.
  • Like 2

I live in WV, we have lots of coons so we are fairly familiar with their habits.  They are scavengers and like you said, are a nuisance.   They are nocturnal and we know the trees they live in, are they are easy to spotlight at night.  They also avoid people, so if they see you they go running away.  This one didn't react to people at all.

I had never seen one in the day like this, and he staggered around like he was drunk.  A quick check of Google on raccoons and rabies led me to think this one might have had rabies.

The Great Hunt went something like this:  I was going to take care of the animal, but my son wanted to shoot him, so I let him, but I gave him limited ammo.

Bam.  (nothing, raccoon stands there)

Bam.  (nothing)

BamBamBam.  (nothing, the raccoon finally starts walking towards the back yard)

BamBamBamBamBam!

"Dad?  Can I get some more bullets?  This raccoon won't die." 

Great.   :wacko:

I loaded up a spare clip and gave it to him.  After unloading the full contents, the raccoon finally went into the woods where we hope he died. 

You just can't take a chance with a rabid animal around your family.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 3

One year, in the Christmas parade, they had a coonhunters float, with the hunters alongside mounted on mules, flashlights on their heads.

The float had coondogs with a coon skin nailed to the top of a 10' pole.

Those coondogs had barked themselves nearly mute & were still trying to bark...

Edited by Sancho Panza
  • Like 3

I had friends in Jersey City who had them as pets chained up in their back yards. Not a great thing, but when seeing something that at the time was not normal, was pretty cool.And to be able to pet it was even cooler.

There is a family that lives in and around a pond I sometimes fish, and I've had them come up to me at dusk and while fishing will stand up and lean against my leg sniffing my hands. Thought it was a cat the 1st time it happened then realized it wasn't. Was very calm and just pulled my hand up slowly.

This old boy was at a foreclosure property I had to do work at a few months ago. I almost stepped on him and woke him up. He just gingerly walked over to the bed and went under it.

post-59264-0-86140000-1437957333_thumb.j

post-59264-0-55820000-1437957347_thumb.j

post-59264-0-55220000-1437957458_thumb.j

• Like 2

I live in WV, we have lots of coons so we are fairly familiar with their habits.  They are scavengers and like you said, are a nuisance.   They are nocturnal and we know the trees they live in, are they are easy to spotlight at night.  They also avoid people, so if they see you they go running away.  This one didn't react to people at all.

I had never seen one in the day like this, and he staggered around like he was drunk.  A quick check of Google on raccoons and rabies led me to think this one might have had rabies.

The Great Hunt went something like this:  I was going to take care of the animal, but my son wanted to shoot him, so I let him, but I gave him limited ammo.

Bam.  (nothing)

BamBamBamBamBam!

I loaded up a spare clip and gave it to him.  After unloading the full contents, the raccoon finally went into the woods where we hope he died. 

Wow…..were all these shots on target? How about a head shot? You must have encountered the "Rambo" of coons :D

• Like 2

Are your Mosquitos active even in the Winter?

Thankfully not. They Peter out mid August. From the last of June until then they can be problematic, especially out in the bush when you are fishing.

Pretty nippy for them here in the winter.

Google up NWT Ice pilots. I chum around with a few of the lads; it will give you an idea of what things are like here.

• Like 1

Wow…..were all these shots on target? How about a head shot? You must have encountered the "Rambo" of coons :D

Much more likely my son thought he was the Rambo of racoon hunters.  :rolleyes:

He stood 20-30 feet from the racoon, just blasting away, video game style which btw is where my son got his weapons training.  It's hard to miss with a .22 rifle from that range, but it's also hard to imagine my son hitting the target every time.

Just like the Mighty Favog said in Post #1, he couldn't even kill the darn thing with .45!  It's not likely that little pea shooter was going to be any better, and it wasn't.

• Like 1

I had friends in Jersey City who had them as pets chained up in their back yards. Not a great thing, but when seeing something that at the time was not normal, was pretty cool.And to be able to pet it was even cooler.

There is a family that lives in and around a pond I sometimes fish, and I've had them come up to me at dusk and while fishing will stand up and lean against my leg sniffing my hands. Thought it was a cat the 1st time it happened then realized it wasn't. Was very calm and just pulled my hand up slowly.

This old boy was at a foreclosure property I had to do work at a few months ago. I almost stepped on him and woke him up. He just gingerly walked over to the bed and went under it.

That 1st pic is known as spotlighting, you're suppose to whack them when their eyes glow

Mark

• Like 1

Bam.  (nothing)

BamBamBamBamBam!

You might want to sight that gun in, or maybe add a laser to it. And when you have 9 BAMS, usually there is still one chambered if it has 10 in a clip. Maybe it's time for a hunter's safety course Doc. LOL

Mark

• Like 1

People are a lot more dangerous. I raised these as a kid and those are the happiest memories I have from my youth.  We live in a suburban wooded area, three fawns born in the back yard this year as most.  Racoons are gregarious and fun and can be licensed as pets in some states.  I always put out sweet corn for them this time of year.  They make a big mess of shucking it as well as enjoying it.  There are better battles to be fought.

• Like 2