Back home with the Belles

musicook

Just for shiites and sunnis, here's the Belles I just bought (you might have seen them on eBay):

Judging by your Seahawk cap, your Belle's have a long ride from Maumelle AR! Curious to hear your comments on the AB2 from Bob. I chose the 4500 hz crossover with the CT 125 tweeter to update my Belles and loved it. The cost for the two xovers plus tweeter was about the same as the new AB2 so I went that direction since I got new tweeters with that mix. I trust you will like your Belles as much as I do mine.
  • Like 2

Just for shiites and sunnis, here's the Belles I just bought (you might have seen them on eBay):

Judging by your Seahawk cap, your Belle's have a long ride from Maumelle AR! Curious to hear your comments on the AB2 from Bob. I chose the 4500 hz crossover with the CT 125 tweeter to update my Belles and loved it. The cost for the two xovers plus tweeter was about the same as the new AB2 so I went that direction since I got new tweeters with that mix. I trust you will like your Belles as much as I do mine.

Thanks Mookie!  Yeah, long expensive ride... just hoping UPS Ground and Craters and Freighters get them here safe (and I'm sure they will).  I considered upgrading the tweeters and going the A/4500 route, but decided to go with the AB2's because it's a little gentler on my wallet, which has taken quite a beating lately, and I really didn't want to change the tweeters since I haven't even heard them yet!  I will keep you posted as to how they sound compared to the AB networks that they currently have.  I could have waited a while, but AB's aren't very well thought of and I figure after 28 years, they probably deserve to retire anyway.

• Like 2

AB's had to go, you are right. 4500 plus the tweets was only $15 more when I did it. I let Bob make the call, he said he liked the 4500 better but only by a little bit (plus it is his design). Either way, I am sure they sound similar and much better than the dreaded AB. Those will look nice in your room. I am sure they will work out well for you. I have bought from Phil before and he is straight up (pricey, but stands behind what he sells).
Waiting for them will be the hardest part.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info on Phil and Bob Mookie.  I felt good about the transaction after talking with Phil, he did go out of his way to make the pricing pretty reasonable, plus he answered all my questions about the speakers honestly (at least I think so).  And yes, as Tom Petty said, waiting is the hardest part!  In fact, I recently bought both Petty's new one and the soundtrack he did for "She's The One" on vinyl and as good as they sound on the Heresy's, I can't wait to hear my 50 watt Eicos make them sing through the Belles!  

Anybody need some nice Fortes?  They have titanium tweeters and midranges...

• Like 1

I use my sub or risers with wheels an think the bass is better. I got off the the look of the speakers on wheels and don't like the subs on the flat floor. Try the Belle's on and off the riser and see what you think.  That little bit of lift changes the floor bounce.  The floor tiles are not completely smooth and should help cancellation and reinforcement that occurs with flat wood or title floors.  Floor bounce is the same concept as a boundary.

Congrats on the speakers!

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 3

For those tile floors you should get some   Grippers   from wally world  or hardware store. They cushion and hook speakers to the floor. May have to stack 2 on each corner and 2 in the middle of the bottom. They are called something else now I think but there to keep furniture from sliding on tile.  HDBR had suggested it to me at least 10 years ago..lol. Rick

• Like 2

You Guys got some Nasty looking Speakers.  Now I can bring some road kill to complete that hunting lodge feeling, and haul those old speakers away for you.  :D

Still being a bit wet behind the ears, I'm guessing they don't realize that horns are honky. 

Edited by Coytee
  • Like 3

Musicook,

Congrats on the Belles!  They look great and I'm sure sound even better.  Believe or don't, I'm in a very similar situation as you in that I bought a pair of '87 Belles (Oiled Oak with cane grills... my mouth is watering just talking about them) last week that should be delivered next week.  Currently, I'm using my '75 Heresy's for two channel audio with a Micro Seiki DD-40 table and Eico preamp and amps, and for video, digital, and surround sound needs, I use a pair of '87 Fortes with an Academy center (makes a really nice soundstage IMHO) and 4 KG1.5's for surround with two KSW200 subs, powered by an Onkyo SR805 receiver.  I've got dedicated switches for both of the front speakers and the amps (I just have to remember which switch is switched at times... hell to get old).  This is all in an 18' x 18' room, so because of size restrictions, I am also planning to use just the Belles for all purposes.

Since you're already set up in virtually the same manner mine will be, I've just a couple questions, mainly how do you feel the Academy matches with the Belles in sound "equality" (don't really know what to call it, but the reason I got the Academy is that it was made to match the Fortes... kind of at least... and it matches up really well with them)?  Because they're both heritage speakers and have   tweeters and midranges that are close, I'm thinking that a Heresy might be superior as a center for use with the Belles.  My only problem is I have the Academy in the same stand my Vizio M701 sits on and the hole it's in is 1/2" too small for a Heresy!  If the Heresy is a better fit sonically, I may have BluesBoy build a custom one for me... same guts but slightly different cabinet.  However, if the Academy matches up, it may not be necessary... I look forward to hearing your opinion.

Second question, I notice you have wheels on your Belles... at 125 lbs each, I can understand why!  I was considering doing the same even before I saw your post, but was concerned if you noticed any difference in performance not having them directly on the floor?  I would expect it would be similar to your LaScalas...

Anyway, congratulations again!  I'll keep you posted when I get mine in house (no small task in itself, thank goodness I have strong friends who like beer!).   FYI, I also ordered a pair of AB-2's from Bob Crites today, and we plan on replacing one at a time and doing some A/B tests in mono to see how much of a difference there is.

Stay cool and have another!

I have only watched one movie and have not listened to any of my DTS 5.1 music blu rays yet to make any judgement on the Academy match.  I'm traveling throughout the week and won't get around to do some experimentation with different center channels.  I'm curious as to whether the Altec Bolero might make a better center channel, even if I have to change the horn driver.  The Bolero has a larger woofer with a passive woofer and the horn is above the two woofers, not in the middle.  I'm also interested if anyone has compared the Crites center channel with an Academy.  I was using the Bolero as a center channel between my Altec 19's and thought it held up well.

When I had my Emotiva pre/pro and amp in the living room with the LaScalas, and ran their room program, I found the Academy wasn't loud enough, but the remote has an individual channel volume control so I would adjust.  The Pioneer receiver seemed to have done a better job balancing the volume with all of the speakers.  I have Forte IIs as side surrounds and another set for rear surrounds which I haven't hooked up yet.

gallery_58328_256_26259.jpg

As I mentioned above, I've only listened to the Belles for a couple hours, and I wasn't listening to music much in the living room.  I'd occasionally watch a movie with my roommate or watch a little TV when I eat dinner.  I like using the furniture movers for now until I have more time to determine the best position for the Belles.  I usually site on the left side of the couch in the photo above.  My roommate, who uses this TV more than I do, usually sits on the right side of the couch.

My focus has been on my listening room/office, since I spend my days working from home working in the loft and when my roommate is not home, I listen to music up there.  This is above the living room, so you can see the windows I mentioned in an earlier post that pours light into the living room.  The living room is the Klipsch floor, the loft is the Altec floor.  Altec 19's for mains, 14's for surrounds, the Boleros are sitting on top of Cornwalls for rear surrounds, but I currently have the Cornwalls hooked up.  I had the Boleros as a center for this room and for the basement home theater, but I recently picked up the Heathkit AS-101s which are basically Altec Valencias.  I completed took them apart, refinished them and built a new baffle board to match the ported Valencias.  They are now the center channel for my listening room and home theater.  My work desk is behind the couch in this photo.

gallery_58328_256_118209.jpg

Congratulations on your Belles!  Love the cane grills.

Edited by musicook
  • Like 1

You Guys got some Nasty looking Speakers.  Now I can bring some road kill to complete that hunting lodge feeling, and haul those old speakers away for you.  :D

Still being a bit wet behind the ears, I'm guessing they don't realize that horns are honky. 

The LaScalas will be going up for sale soon.

Ok, I always like to ask: musicook, what was the first song you listened to when you got your Belle's hooked up?

Whipster, what do you plan to play first?

I think it was the Yellowjackets - Politics CD - the tracks are "Local Hero" and "Galileo (for Jaco)".  This is instrumental, but I can hear the sax in the horns, piano, drums and Jimmy Haslip's bass goes low and high into the midrange with clarity.  I also had the Nickel Creek CD close by so listened to some of that for acoustic music and vocals.  The Belles are noticeably not as strong and clear as the Altecs, but I do have the old crossovers in there.

I believe I bought a set of CT 125 tweeters direct from Bob for my Cornwalls and never installed them.  I was making one change at a time and updated the crossovers with his kit, and then never got around to installing the tweeters.  I also have eliptrac tweeters, but they have the APT50 driver on them.  I believe I bought them off the forum here.  I will likely try them next.  The main reason I'm considering the ALK Universal vs. Crites is that I may want to experiment with two way at a later point in time. 

You cant go wrong with the ALK Universals. I have never tried them but have not heard a bad thing about them plus used by many people that know their sh*t. But since you already have the CT125s, the 4500 xover wont break the bank. Lowering the xover point is also putting less strain on your mid (in theory) I know mine sound great (in my mind)! You actually have more stuff than I do, AND much nicer stuff. Good luck with whatever direction you go. I will have to search out your first song choices as I am not familiar with them.

Musicook,

Thanks for the pictures of your rooms!  I envy you for the amount of space you have... I'm a bit constricted as to space.  And thanks for the complements on the Belles I have coming (just got shipped yesterday, supposed to be here Monday!), they are the pair I have been looking for for quite a while.  As for the centers, I like your Altec setup, those speakers I'm sure will provide a great soundfield for the front three (and all the surrounds as well).  I'm going to experiment with the Academy and one of my Heresy's, but I'm pretty certain the Heresy will win out as the tweeter and midrange is virtually the same as the Belles and that should provide an almost invisible wall (if anyone has that setup, I would appreciate your feedback).  If that's the case, then I will definitely have BluesBoy built me a custom Heresy center, resized to fit my A/V stand and possibly with the tweeter and midrange mounted horizontally for better dispersion laying on it's side.

Mookie, the first thing I'm going to play is side two of the new Sticky Fingers remaster I just got.... I'm very familiar with that whole album, but side 2 sounds fantastic through the Eico's and the Heresy's, so it should sound even better withe the Eico's driving the Belles!  Second album will probably be Petty's new one, Hypnotic Eye, followed by Jar of Flies by Alice in Chains... "No Excuses" has some opening drum beats that will rock!  First digital play will probably be Dylan's Oh Mercy SACD, running through my OPPO BD-103 and the Onkyo (for some reason, SACD's sound better playing through it rather than tube equipment... it does have good DAC's, maybe that's why).  I just got the vinyl of Gravitational Forces by Robert Earl Keen, which should also sound pretty damn good through these big puppies.

I can't wait!

• Like 1

Great purchase, theylook fantastic. The Belles are the heritage speaker I'm holding out for. Along with the Palladiums, they are the most attractive speaker Klipsch ever made.Could be waiting for a while due to my location- more or less need to find a pair popping up in Alberta.

Once you get settled would love to hear how they are in the room. Just bought a new condo with hardwood flooring and am dreading/looking forward to how things will sound (area carpets and such- or not). We move the end of August.

As well, do you find them satisfactory for music or do they need a sub? In a perfect world a speaker taking up that much real estate shouldn't.

• Like 2

As well, do you find them satisfactory for music or do they need a sub? In a perfect world a speaker taking up that much real estate shouldn't.

My LaScalas were great for music, but I believe it had as much to do with the whole system. I replaced my crossover with a constant impedance one I built, a DHA2. This worked extremely well with my low power tube amps. I also was able to lower the mids approx. 3db, which made the bass seem louder, with the overall tonal balance between bass/mid/treble to be smoothed out. As well, I placed my tweeters on top of the cabinets in a small baffle, and aligned them with the mid drivers (placed toward the back of the cabinet).

Music from orchestral sources, Victor Wooten's bass with the Flecktones, various recordings with Edgar Meyer. Acoustic jazz, Norah Jones, whatever rock I would throw at them. All good.

The only thing that would be lacking would be lower registers of organ music, or LFE watching TV, but I didn't use them for that.

The Belles could be similar.

Bruce

Edited by Marvel
  • Like 4