Back home with the Belles

musicook

I'm going to experiment with the Academy and one of my Heresy's, but I'm pretty certain the Heresy will win out as the tweeter and midrange is virtually the same as the Belles and that should provide an almost invisible wall (if anyone has that setup, I would appreciate your feedback).  If that's the case, then I will definitely have BluesBoy built me a custom Heresy center, resized to fit my A/V stand and possibly with the tweeter and midrange mounted horizontally for better dispersion laying on it's side.

I have a pair of Heresy I's and II's, but I prefer not to lose my media center.  Another concern, whether valid or not, is a Heresy puts the woofer fairly low and may be firing at my coffee table.  I'm also considering for whatever center channel speaker I decide on, to replace the grill cloth that matches the Belles, since it is available from Crites.

• Like 2

As well, do you find them satisfactory for music or do they need a sub? In a perfect world a speaker taking up that much real estate shouldn't.

My LaScalas were great for music, but I believe it had as much to do with the whole system. I replaced my crossover with a constant impedance one I built, a DHA2. This worked extremely well with my low power tube amps. I also was able to lower the mids approx. 3db, which made the bass seem louder, with the overall tonal balance between bass/mid/treble to be smoothed out. As well, I placed my tweeters on top of the cabinets in a small baffle, and aligned them with the mid drivers (placed toward the back of the cabinet).

Music from orchestral sources, Victor Wooten's bass with the Flecktones, various recordings with Edgar Meyer. Acoustic jazz, Norah Jones, whatever rock I would throw at them. All good.

The only thing that would be lacking would be lower registers of organ music, or LFE watching TV, but I didn't use them for that.

The Belles could be similar.

Bruce

Thanks for this information.  I am familiar with your music choices.   :)

I actually did order a refurb SVS sub, but I think I will test it in the living room, but ultimately use it upstairs in my listening room.  I have a cheap polk sub there now which will probably end up in the living room.  I've invested much time and money in the living room system which is mostly used by my roommate.  I don't think she really cares or understands why there are so many speakers around the house.

• Like 3

I'm going to experiment with the Academy and one of my Heresy's, but I'm pretty certain the Heresy will win out as the tweeter and midrange is virtually the same as the Belles and that should provide an almost invisible wall (if anyone has that setup, I would appreciate your feedback).  If that's the case, then I will definitely have BluesBoy built me a custom Heresy center, resized to fit my A/V stand and possibly with the tweeter and midrange mounted horizontally for better dispersion laying on it's side.

I have a pair of Heresy I's and II's, but I prefer not to lose my media center.  Another concern, whether valid or not, is a Heresy puts the woofer fairly low and may be firing at my coffee table.  I'm also considering for whatever center channel speaker I decide on, to replace the grill cloth that matches the Belles, since it is available from Crites.

Good idea, I would hate to separate my Heresy's too, that's why I think I'll end having the custom one built... my Academy is already aimed up towards my head, so we'll do the same with the custom.  I found another outlet that sells speaker fabric that matches the cane grilles pretty well, so I intend on replacing the fabric on my cover too regardless of which speaker I use.

Damn we have an expensive hobby.

Wipster, good choices on the first listen material. you will probably change that list several times before they arrive. I went with one of my favorites Stevie Ray Vaughn (greatest hits playlist)when I got my Belles home. Cranked it and loved it. After my initial phase of how loud can I listen, I settled down and played some softer songs and appreciated the speakers even more. Really brought to life certain aspects of the recordings that I was missing. As much as I enjoyed Crossfire by SRV, I have probably cued up "Lenny" by him more often. Enjoy, it's fun, and expensive,but most hobbies are?

• Like 2

Mookie, SRV is probably next after Keen... then again, things are subject to instantaneous revision!  

I've been into both Vaughans for as long as I can remember.  I have the originals of Stevie's first four on vinyl, plus rebought them all on CD, plus have Texas Flood on SACD, plus just bought the new collection Texas Hurricane on vinyl (33 not 45) which has his four studio albums, plus The Sky Is Crying and Family Style, all on 200 gram virgin vinyl masters from the original tapes, plus several concerts on DVD and BluRay.  Ya might say I'm a fan.  Of all of them, I think his last album, In Step, is my favorite. After he got cleaned up his playing was even better.  The last song on that album, Riviera Paradise, is my favorite instrumental, but I like them all.  Saw him in concert about two months before the plane crash at the Gorge on the Columbia River.  He was opening for Robert Cray and totally blew him off the stage... it was nothing short of fantastic!

I'm a big Jimmie Vaughan fan too... the T-Birds have never been as good since his departure.  He recently put out two albums that I highly recommend, Jimmie Vaughan Plays Blues, Ballads & Favorites and Plays More Blues, Ballads & Favorites.  Easy to get on CD, tough to find on vinyl (or should I just say expensive to find, but worth it IMHO).  Also just bought a Jimmie Vaughan signature stratocaster... now if I can just learn how to play the damn thing... it is beautiful however.  BluesBoy's son Dylan can really make that puppy sing!

Speakers will be delivered Monday, so I sense my ears are going to be very very happy next week!

• Like 2

Mookie, SRV is probably next after Keen... then again, things are subject to instantaneous revision!  

I've been into both Vaughans for as long as I can remember.  I have the originals of Stevie's first four on vinyl, plus rebought them all on CD, plus have Texas Flood on SACD, plus just bought the new collection Texas Hurricane on vinyl (33 not 45) which has his four studio albums, plus The Sky Is Crying and Family Style, all on 200 gram virgin vinyl masters from the original tapes, plus several concerts on DVD and BluRay.  Ya might say I'm a fan.  Of all of them, I think his last album, In Step, is my favorite. After he got cleaned up his playing was even better.  The last song on that album, Riviera Paradise, is my favorite instrumental, but I like them all.  Saw him in concert about two months before the plane crash at the Gorge on the Columbia River.  He was opening for Robert Cray and totally blew him off the stage... it was nothing short of fantastic!

I'm a big Jimmie Vaughan fan too... the T-Birds have never been as good since his departure.  He recently put out two albums that I highly recommend, Jimmie Vaughan Plays Blues, Ballads & Favorites and Plays More Blues, Ballads & Favorites.  Easy to get on CD, tough to find on vinyl (or should I just say expensive to find, but worth it IMHO).  Also just bought a Jimmie Vaughan signature stratocaster... now if I can just learn how to play the damn thing... it is beautiful however.  BluesBoy's son Dylan can really make that puppy sing!

Speakers will be delivered Monday, so I sense my ears are going to be very very happy next week!

Okay, since you've hijacked my thread :D , I'll jump in here and say I'm a longtime SRV and Jimmy fan.  I just got home from my travel and put in the Texas Flood SACD.  Back in college, I had a band called the Blues Express and we played a lot of SRV, Arc Angels and Storyville.  I was also at the Alpine Valley show that fateful weekend.  And the reason I couldn't pickup the Belles from Tasdom, the weekend I agreed to buy them is because I still play the Colorado Dragon Boat Festival every year and it was two weekends ago.  I typically always play at least one SRV song, sometimes on mandolin, but this year, I played the Fabulous Thunderbirds cover of Wrap it Up.  I'm also a big fan of Doyle Bramhall senior, who wrote a bunch of SRVs best tunes.

Here's a clip of me playing some SRV at the festival…  I've long stopped trying to play with his tone and prefer a little cleaner sound.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm9D2e_Oz78

I still can't seem to get this video to embed.

Edited by musicook
  • Like 1

lovely speakers! :)  I wanted to say "what a interesting story with happy ending" but I know it's just the beginning of countless of hours happy listening. Enjoy!

Thanks!  I did some listening and TV watching last night.  I don't think I'm going to wait very long for the crossover and tweeter upgrade.  

• Like 2

Okay, since you've hijacked my thread :D , I'll jump in here and say I'm a longtime SRV and Jimmy fan.  I just got home from my travel and put in the Texas Flood SACD.  Back in college, I had a band called the Blues Express and we played a lot of SRV, Arc Angels and Storyville.  I was also at the Alpine Valley show that fateful weekend.  And the reason I couldn't pickup the Belles from Tasdom, the weekend I agreed to buy them is because I still play the Colorado Dragon Boat Festival every year and it was two weekends ago.  I typically always play at least one SRV song, sometimes on mandolin, but this year, I played the Fabulous Thunderbirds cover of Wrap it Up.  I'm also a big fan of Doyle Bramhall senior, who wrote a bunch of SRVs best tunes.

Here's a clip of me playing some SRV at the festival…  I've long stopped trying to play with his tone and prefer a little cleaner sound.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm9D2e_Oz78

I still can't seem to get this video to embed.

Just watched (listened to) your performance. Very nice. Wish I had just a little bit of musical talent like that!

• Like 1

Thanks Wipster and Marvel for the compliments.  

Back to the Belles living room update.  I'm trying out a used Crites Center Channel.  It sounds different, sounds great, can't really say it sounds better or worse than the Academy.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I thought the living room looked like a lodge when I first looked at it.  I was driving home this morning and a few blocks from my house there were garage sales.  This guy was a craftsman, and actually had a nice rustic stereo/media center on old iron wheels.  I didn't buy it, but he had a bench, and a couple side tables dirt cheap.  Oh and the metal moose in the photo.  The table next to the speaker is a solid log and with a nice heavy tile in the middle.  I thought it would make a nice turntable stand.  The bench seems to line up nicely with the mirror I already had in place (I know I have terrible sound reflecting material on the wall when it should be absorbing traps).  And the other solid wood table is beautiful.  So in these photos you can see my forte II surrounds.  I just blew the money towards my new crossovers.

livingroom2.jpg

livingroom3.jpg

livingroom1.jpg

• Like 1

Killer room (and house) dude. I'm a big fan of knotty pine as you probably remember from being in my house. Wipsters right that you will appreciate the upgrades more after a longer experience with the old.

I'll update mine soon once life quits getting in my way....

• Like 2

I have heard of it.  Right now there is lots of furniture being made from the beetle kill pine.  The front door of the house and the railing trim I've been told is hickory.  The mirror is aspen - I found an guy up in the mountains with a workshop and he makes a lot of cool custom furniture.

Looks great Dwight! I bet the furniture movers are great to move around and set up but you'll probably get better bass response if they are sitting on the floor. Again, looks great and I hope they bring you many years of enjoyment.

Was a pleasure meeting you....enjoy!

I agree that you might get better bass with the furniture movers removed.  Better loading from the floor.  PWK did some research with this, but I think he compared "on the floor" to a greater height off the floor than you have.  He found that "off the floor" degraded more than an octave of the bass, as I remember.

• Like 2

Looks great Dwight! I bet the furniture movers are great to move around and set up but you'll probably get better bass response if they are sitting on the floor. Again, looks great and I hope they bring you many years of enjoyment.

Was a pleasure meeting you....enjoy!

I agree that you might get better bass with the furniture movers removed.  Better loading from the floor.  PWK did some research with this, but I think he compared "on the floor" to a greater height off the floor than you have.  He found that "off the floor" degraded more than an octave of the bass, as I remember.

Yeah.  I'll do that.  I need to find some rugs.