Maybe to much bass

The Dude

Ok, this is my system in my  basement .  As some of you may know I have built a Jamboree, as I haven't gotten around to building a second, I have been using a LaScala for the other channel.  Now maybe its my room, or maybe its the Jamboree, but the bass is how one might describe it to predominate maybe even boomy but I don't know if boomy is the right term.  I thought it was warmth from the tube pre amp, but I removed that from the system and it hasn't made a difference.   I now I have this idea that it might be to much bass.  Any ideas?

I was thinking if it is too much bass than maybe I could try another LaScala bass bin and see how it sounds.

Thanks

Edited by duder1982
  • Like 1

there might be a hump in the frequency response due to wrong driver choice which will make the whole sound bloat. try to measure the frequency response you may notice something need to be notched or EQed

there is another possibility that the room adds some gain to a certain frequency range you probably can decrease it by placing the speaker in different location hopefully far from corners or rear walls

• Like 4

Ok, this is my system in my  basement .  As some of you may know I have built a Jamboree, as I haven't gotten around to building a second, I have been using a LaScala for the other channel.  Now maybe its my room, or maybe its the Jamboree, but the bass is how one might describe it to predominate maybe even boomy but I don't know if boomy is the right term.  I thought it was warmth from the tube pre amp, but I removed that from the system and it hasn't made a difference.   I now I have this idea that it might be too much bass.  Any ideas?

I was thinking if it is too much bass than maybe I could try another LaScala bass bin and see how it sounds.

Thanks

Boomy in reference to what?  That is why you now need to build a crossover (or electronic) to match levels of the components.  Get a good test disk or use an RTA to find out where your frequency response has issues.  It may very well be the new box has a higher efficiency.  Worst case, poor response due to design, location, or woofer choice.

Hey duder1982 I had a similar problem with mine, I know I am using a different driver than what you have in yours, but I had a good hump in response at 50 hz and again at 30 hz. I added a little more fluff to the box and it tamed it somewhat. I then did some EQ work and the bass is tighter than anything I have heard so far. Run some REW sweeps so you know what direction to head. That jamboree shouldn't have any boom, just clean bass!

bloat

That probably is a better word to describe how it sounds.

Boomy in reference to what?

Read above statement,  however I am used to my Cornwalls which has more relaxed bass compared to these.

BTW, "too" and "to" are not interchangeable.

Thank you, grammar isn't one of my strong points.  But is something I try to work on when I can.

Run some REW sweeps so you know what direction to head

That is something I need to work on, I thought I had a setup for it, but it did not work out.   When time permits I will see what I can do.  I might have to move my pc down stairs for it.

Also try moving your seat to different locations

It seems to be this way no matter where I sit, I didn't really notice it until the last time I was down there listening.  But it just seems off to me. 

I second what Arash said above. Also try moving your seat to different locations, it may be you and not the speaker that is in a bass node.

BTW, "too" and "to" are not interchangeable.

Shakey

CorrectingSomeonesGrammar-1217.png

Hey, it's a pet peeve. The grammar correction was secondary to the audio advice.

For the record,

there/their/they're

bass/base

your/you're

then/than

bother me too. I just don't mention it all that often. Hey, we aren't diagraming sentences or pointing out dangling participles. This is s&*t we learned in the fifth grade :P

Shakey

Edited by Shakeydeal
  • Like 1

Without measurements, I would not change anything based on guesses.  Arash is correct, the problem may just need a simple EQ adjustment.  This is just my two, or too, or to cents on the matter, lol.  Just remember in a sentence replace too with also and if it sounds right, you are good.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 2

My advice is simple. Slice your Jamboree in half and make it stereo. You only need one 15" driven bass horn per side, and get a K-402. Then build a LAB Tapped Horn and be done.

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 1

totalcomfort, on 27 Jul 2015 - 07:52 AM, said: Run some REW sweeps so you know what direction to head That is something I need to work on, I thought I had a setup for it, but it did not work out. When time permits I will see what I can do. I might have to move my pc down stairs for it.

Almost all corner horn bass bins have what's known as ripple in their frequency response, due almost entirely to the fact that they don't have fully expanded horn mouths. In fact, they usually have much less than 1/4 expansion mouths.  This causes big peaks and troughs in the response especially in the 100-250 Hz region, typically. 

The solution is simple: first measure the FR using something like a UMIK-1 plugged into a USB port on your computer running REW.  It's about $100 to get up and running. 

I assume that you have a way to EQ your bass bins using parametric (preferable) equalization filters in your preamp, active crossover, amplifier, or upstream digital music server.  It usually takes two or three PEQ filters for corner horns, and sometimes it takes a shelving filter--like the old tone controls on stereo receivers. 

REW will show you where to place your PEQ filters and how much attenuation to use to tame the FR peaks, and correct any shelving issues.  Once you get the peaks attenuated, it should sound like completely new and greatly improved loudspeakers.

Chris

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 2

UMIK-1

I have one of those

I assume that you have a way to EQ

I should be able to do that with the Minidsp, I have tried equing before with it, but I don't know if I was doing it right. 

My advice is simple. Slice your Jamboree in half and make it stereo. You only need one 15" driven bass horn per side, and get a K-402. Then build a LAB Tapped Horn and be done.

I have thought about cutting it in half, I will get a k-402 someday, and I do have a TH SPud.  So we're getting there just slowly.

• Like 2

The nice thing about having bass bins in the system is that they give some directional focus of the bass. One day I may try some. :)

That's how I determined that the problem had to be to much bass from the bass bins, as you can cut the lf horn from the active and hear the bass drop.

I have thought about cutting it in half, I will get a k-402 someday, and I do have a TH SPud.  So we're getting there just slowly.

Spud is roughly the samer performance as a LAB tapped, horn so you are set there. So again. Slice those bad boys in half and put your money where it really counts, the best midrange horn ever made by any company out there, the Klipsch K-402 by Roy Delgado. It's a true REVELATION. 

• Like 1

I have thought about cutting it in half, I will get a k-402 someday, and I do have a TH SPud. So we're getting there just slowly.

Spud is roughly the samer performance as a LAB tapped, horn so you are set there. So again. Slice those bad boys in half and put your money where it really counts, the best midrange horn ever made by any company out there, the Klipsch K-402 by Roy Delgado. It's a true REVELATION.

I wish I could simply cut one in half to make two. But I think it wouldn't turn out right. When I build my next one I could build it half size, but than the question would be, wouldn't a LaScala be just as good. I wonder what the difference in bass is.