A little Info from the Classical Music Crowd

joessportster

Hate to admit this but I know little to nothing about classical music, I do like / appreciate alot of what I hear but it is a daunting task to research classical as it seems to make a big difference with 1 composer to the next etc...

so I saw this sale listed on the bay and wanted to get some insight from the more informed crowd

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191641212645?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I was contemplating making an offer as I wont / cant pay what they are asking CD's in the cases generally bring under 1.00 each so I think they are high on the asking $$

any opinions are appreciated I would really like someone to browse the list posted and give opinions as to weather these are desirable versions

also anyone willing to go in on these and end up with the whole lot :) after a month or so.....................

Thanks Joe 

It's a really good list.  I don't think I saw any Bernstein conducted versions which is a good sign.  I am a big fan of Archiv and Deutsche Grammophon productions.  Too bad or maybe thank goodness (for my wallet) it's not a vinyl collection or I would be really tempted.  CDs?  meh.  It is a good line up if you are into the format.

a buck or so per cd is not bad... but ask yourself, you really dont know much about Classical, at least to the point where you dont really listen to it much, and your gonna buy 650 CD's worth?

that's a LOT OF CLASSICAL music.

Classical is broken down into so many sub categories... I would be scared that the majority of those are symphonic or another category I might not enjoy a whole bunch. For the most part though, they spend the money when they make classical recordings... so they probably sound good regardless of what music they are.

Edited by Schu

trying to broaden my horizons mark  :D

Schu, I get what you are saying but if I were to try and look for classical music by the individual disc I would be lost, for example I have a Bernstein Bolero disc and caught a lot of flac when I posted how good it sounds to me, Now as I am uneducated when it comes to classical I can accept that there is likely MUCH BETTER recordings, conductors and as with all things audio I strive for the best possible SQ.....................I cant pay close to what they are asking so I am counting on it going to expire and relist with lower expectations

Thanks oldtimer the fact that if this were vinyl you would buy it says alot about the content, I have found the gramaphone lp's I have had in the past were superb as well

• Like 1

Good points Schu, but for the record classical is a subcategory.  Tchaikovsky for example falls under the romantic period not classical.
IMO, there are two widely accepted definitions of "classical" music -- one, 1750-1828, largely Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven, and, two, any "serious" music from Medieval through current eras that is played in concert halls by classical music players and singers.  You're both right IMO.
  • Like 1

so I saw this sale listed on the bay and wanted to get some insight from the more informed crowd   http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Too overwhelming and complicated to answer.  I'd not be inclined to call all if it "classical," in, say, the 80-CD collection.  I'm sure it gets worse in the bigger collections.

I suggest you look for the "ARTS" channel is on one of your local cable channels.  Here in Montgomery Co., MD, it's Comcast ch. 33.  Maybe you can find a local cable channel on the ClassicalArtsShowcase website, http://www.classicartsshowcase.org.  Watch it frequently when it's playing classical music videos, and not boring old movies.  If you watch enough of it, you'll learn quite a bit.

Edited by LarryC

Here's my take.  If you are interested in getting into something that represents the vast majority of human musical inheritance, and that from which most everything we listen to is descended in one way or the other, and can afford it...make an offer. 

Since "classical" music represents the vast majority of all lasting music ever produced and to achieve that status it has had to stand the ultimate test, time, the fact is that if you don't like it, it is just because you aren't ready yet.  I found this out through experience and a lot of living.  First, something grabs you.  It may be something like 1812 Overture or the Moonlight Sonata, and stuff of that type is all you really want to listen to.   But then, things that are close to those begin to suddenly sound good, and then things related to those things, etc. 

I've learned through that process and by being in this forum that the pipe organ is the ultimate end.  The reason is that of all human music it is the most complex.  I've learned to understand why it sounds like a cacophony and so many think they must study to understand it.  Quite the opposite.  Just need to relax and let it happen.  The instrument, the space, the person playing, and the composer all make for each performance to be completely unique.  The notes Bach or Dupres wrote do not change, but every instrument it's played on, every space, every interpretation, and every choice of resources of the instrument create a completely unique experience.  Tigerman, and a few others here, know what I am talking about.  When you suddenly quit trying to figure it out and just get lost in the swirling tapestry of the colors of an audio palette in a fine space...it should be illegal.  I only go on about that as all the rest of the truly eternal music of humanity has one or more things in common with it.  Here's another: Once you fully appreciate Bach, he can be played on anything from a Stradivarius to a harmonica and one will swoon. 

The reason I put "classical" music in quotes is I don't care for the term.  I consider anything over a hundred years old that is still being appreciated and played to be GREAT music, period.  Some thing not that old can be assumed to be sure bets to make it.  Won't list so as to avoid controversy. 

Whether it's this collection, or by whatever means...get out of your comfort zone and explore!  I cannot comprehend being bound to the past 50 year in music.  What a total confinement in such a tiny space!

End rant... :D

Dave

Edited by Mallette

Joe,

If it were me, I'd do it one or two discs at a time off Amazon Marketplace, even if it were 10x more expensive per disc because it's the journey for me.  Having discs arrive in the mailbox a couple of times/week is a delight and energizing.  I follow my nose and it leads to interesting places, but it's basically one disc at a time for me.  I've bought collections that included up to 36 discs in a box (e.g., Haydn symphonies), and it took forever to go through them, and I haven't gone back through them as I probably should.

It really does depend on you and how you react to "mile high tasks".  Most people that I know try to take on the big task, then give up.  A few keep on chugging through the mountain of things.  It's really up to you.

If you listened to 75 of these discs and liked them enough to listen to them again, then I'd say that you've broken even.  But that's a lot.  Perhaps there is a really good deal out there that is 1/10th the quantity.  I'd jump on that.  Or if you can resell the discs that you don't like, that's another approach, but that's still a lot of time listening.

If you know that you like classical regardless of the specific sub-genre and will listen to it almost randomly, then ignore what I said, above.

Chris

Larry, no cable TV at my dwelling, I refuse to pay the exorbitant $$$ ALL of the various crooks want, I get around 15 channels free over the air with an antenna    Dave  and all thanks for the input 

In that case, there is a wealth of classical on YouTube, and you can WATCH as well as LISTEN to it! the Above Bach cello clip is a great example.  Just follow your nose, so to speak, click lots of thumbnails, and sooner or later you will have learned a lot!

There's no easy or quick way to get into this literature.

Forget those huge CD collections on Ebay!  That'll take you nowhere.

Larry

Edited by LarryC

Not so sure on the naysayers.  I came by one very large collection of several hundred classical LPs from a radio station I worked for.  I'd never have bought most of them, but over many years came to love most and learned what I posted above from the experience.

If you just buy what you like, you will not grow.

Dave

Edited by Mallette
  • Like 1

I have been listening to classical for a lifetime (about a fifth of my cd collection). As mentioned before there are a few very distinctive periods that had certain sounds.

This package deal does look good - if you have the dough and are willing to take the chance you may end up with the sort of collection some of us take decades to amass. I did notice that there are a number of operatic discs, which may or may not be to your tastes (not mine).

If you decide to begin collecting material on your own instead of this package deal, I would strongly suggest you start with the Baroque period. In my experience many find this the most accessible. I would recommend anything from The Academy of Ancient Music conducted by Christopher Hogwood. They have a unique approach- the traditional arrangements played on period piece instruments!!

All the discs from this ensemble are incredible, and sound pretty much the way people would have heard them originally. And contrary to what some say, I think classical sounds wonderful through Klipsch speakers.

A nice way to try it out fairly inexpensively: pick up "The Baroque Experience" by the Academy. It is a five CD collection that will really give you a feel. It has been one of my favourites for the past 25 years.

Good points Schu, but for the record classical is a subcategory.  Tchaikovsky for example falls under the romantic period not classical.

Yes & no.  Tchaikovsky was indeed a composer of classical music, during the late "Romantic" period, not of the "Classical" period.