Prima Luna Dialogue Premium HP...

Dennie

I have never considered getting a tube amp.  Sure I thought they were interesting, but with "tube rolling", biasing, etc. it just seems like "work"!  When I sit down to listen to music, I just want to listen to music.

Although, when I saw these beautiful integrated amps from Prima Luna, I had to wonder if it is something I might want to try out. 

dl-premhp-int.jpg

I typically see the ads in the popular magazines and have read some very positive reviews.  So...

Does anyone have any experience with this brand?  Opinions on this brand/model(s)?

Thanks in advance and Maynard, I am glad you got the "Tube" section you wanted and thought I would try and add something to it. 

Congratulations.   drinkingcheers.gif

Dennie

• Like 2

Hey Dennie, don't have experience with those so can't comment on that, other than to say they sure are purdy....What I will say is that tube rolling is not meant to be work, it is meant to be fun and experimental.  Perhaps you got the wrong impression regarding that sometime in the past.....Hope you find something you like!  Have fun with it.

Hey Dennie, don't have experience with those so can't comment on that, other than to say they sure are purdy....What I will say is that tube rolling is not meant to be work, it is meant to be fun and experimental.  Perhaps you got the wrong impression regarding that sometime in the past.....Hope you find something you like!  Have fun with it.

Thanks Jim, as I mentioned, I am not looking or wanting to get into tubes, but these caught my attention and I thought I would ask the experts. 

As for tube rolling, I've heard people complain about not finding the right tubes for their amp or a bad tube or etc.  IF I were into tube amps, I could see how it could be fun and experimental.  Just not something I've ever thought I would get into with my listening habits. 

It seems with the Prima Luna, everything is done for the owner.  Auto Biasing, matched tubes, etc..

I should have been clearer in my OP, I am not looking to buy, but am open to opinions and experience. 

Dennie

I am not looking or wanting to get into tubes

I felt the same way about smoking opium, until I tried it.  Actually I was sorta conned into it.  Her name was Jasmine Belladonna. It was Shanghai, mid-1930's.  I was an oilier on a British steam frigate working an anti-piracy patrol on the Pearl River. It all started ...

• Like 5

Dennie, is there nobody near you who has a tube amp they could loan you? If no I have a Maynard-built SET or a Fisher-built push/pull I could loan you.  The SET has a built in simple line-stage only preamp, but the Fisher would need a preamp.

I'll ship gratis one-way you pay return. 

• Like 1

Thanks Marty, that is a very generous offer.  But I will graciously decline, as I am not interested in getting into tube amps at this point in my life.  I may sometime down the road and if I can't find any on the west coast, I will let you know.

I'm just looking for opinions.  Not amps.  LOL   As I keep seeing the ads for the Prima Lunas and have always wondered what people thought of them.  The reviews seem very favorable and I think they are very good looking units.

Dennie

I have a friend here in Yellowknife with that exact model. He uses them to power ProAc 2.5 s and it is a beautiful thing. Jazz sounds so remarkable with the combo.

Mind you I have a split personality when it comes to sound, I love both the classic British and American sound.

Edit

Aside from sounding wonderful, it is a beautifully made piece of equipment that looks amazing as it glows In llower light conditions whilst you are listening.

Edited by YK Thom
  • Like 2

LOVE this thread since I only recently was smitten by the TUBE phenomenon while checking out SS in audio shop.  A salesLADY (noteworthy since I am also a lady) demoed a MC275 with a C22 for me, and I realized that this was the sound I was searching for - which I had not found in the other SS. 

Problem now is that I am overwhelmed by choices. . . 

Gotta have a digital section, so there's the C2500, but I much prefer the "retro look."  So, now trying to decide - do I go with the MC275 and the C22 and add a D100?  It becomes overwhelming. . .  so I keep reading and studying and learning until I can make an informed choice. . .

But that tube sound. . . wow, unforgettable!

Edited by Freespirit
  • Like 1

Guest thesloth

I don't really get a warm feeling in my gut when reading about this amp from their website. Spelling errors and magical components fluffing scare me off right away (I am not the best speller but if I had a website I would have somebody proof read it). 

They claim ultra-linear is the flattest response? That statement to me makes no sense. The things in an amplifier that will kill your bandwidth like output transformers and coupling caps don't get mentioned but they claim flat response is due to ultra-linear mode. Ultra-Linear is a mode of operation between triode and pentode, it has more to do with power and distortion characteristics than bandwidth. 

Their specifications got me confused too:

I am not sure if I believe their bandwidth numbers but I will leave them alone.

THD is only shown for 1 watt output and not the full rated output. And .2% already at 1 watt? That's not good at all. My push pull EL34 amps that I built are .05% at 25 watts.

Their input sensitivity says 280, 229, 239 What does that mean? Is that millivolts?

Seems like a lot of gimmicks like remote and safety features that shouldn't be needed in a well built amp. Instead of putting the time into those things they should have built a better amp, especially for over $3k.

The one thing I will give it is that it looks okay.

Last year I heard a pair of PrimaLuna mono amps (not sure if they were this model) in the system of the musician I just mentioned in my other thread (with CWs).  I didn't like the sound (and he didn't either).  They were fairly hard sounding, the highs were somewhat too bright, and there was a graininess to the sound which we found annoying.  I'm agreeing with Sloth that those amps may be enjoying an undeserved good reputation (unless with certain speakers the synergy is better).

Maynard

• Like 1

Thanks Marty, that is a very generous offer.  But I will graciously decline, as I am not interested in getting into tube amps at this point in my life.  I may sometime down the road and if I can't find any on the west coast, I will let you know.

I'm just looking for opinions.  Not amps.  LOL   As I keep seeing the ads for the Prima Lunas and have always wondered what people thought of them.  The reviews seem very favorable and I think they are very good looking units.

Dennie

OK it's your call, but I really can't see the downside of a few weeks free use of a tube amp.  By the way, when I said Maynard  built the amp I should expand that to let you know he designed the circuit based the specs of some transformers I had pulled from a console.  He then put together a schematic and parts list, and ended up putting it on his bench after I screwed up the initial build.

• Like 1

Dennie

OK it's your call, but I really can't see the downside of a few weeks free use of a tube amp.  By the way, when I said Maynard  built the amp I should expand that to let you know he designed the circuit based the specs of some transformers I had pulled from a console.  He then put together a schematic and parts list, and ended up putting it on his bench after I screwed up the initial build.

No downside Marty, I'm just not looking to get into tubes yet.  I've got a few "projects" going on now that are taking my savings and demo-ing a tube amp now could change everything!  LOL   It may be something I'll consider in the future and that is the reason I'm asking for opinions on Prima Luna gear. 

Thanks everyone for there opinions and experience.  I too wondered/worried a little when I saw their website, but the reviews keep coming in and are typically pretty good.  That is why I ask for REAL experience from the people I trust. 

You guys and girls are the best!

Dennie

• Like 1

LOVE this thread since I only recently was smitten by the TUBE phenomenon while checking out SS in audio shop.  A salesLADY (noteworthy since I am also a lady) demoed a MC275 with a C22 for me, and I realized that this was the sound I was searching for - which I had not found in the other SS. 

Problem now is that I am overwhelmed by choices. . . 

Gotta have a digital section, so there's the C2500, but I much prefer the "retro look."  So, now trying to decide - do I go with the MC275 and the C22 and add a D100?  It becomes overwhelming. . .  so I keep reading and studying and learning until I can make an informed choice. . .

But that tube sound. . . wow, unforgettable!

Welcome Freespirit, we're glad you are here and it is nice to have another Lady here on the forum.  We have a few and enjoy their input and experiences.  It also keep us guys in line a little more. (wink)

Those MC275"s have caught my eye plenty of times and I bet they are worth every penny they cost.  They too are beautiful pieces of gear and have been loved by many.  The McIntosh Reputation is undeniable and you really can't go wrong with their gear.

If you have questions about which Pre/Pro, don't hesitate to start a new thread asking the Guru's around here there experience and opinions.  They'll be glad to help and we truly believe there is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who don't ask questions.

Dennie...  drinkingcheers.gif

Dennie,

Check out american builders, there is some really good stuff out there. I bought a cheap chinese tube amp just to see if I liked tubes, and it sounds great except when the left channel is ticking (QC issue). This prompted me to research higher quality stuff such as Amps & Sound, Wright Audio, and Decware.

• Like 1

Prima Luna typically gets extremely good reviews. In addition to preamps I have built myself, I also own a Prima Luna Prologue Three line stage preamplifier. One of the reasons invested in one was the fact they they are built to a very high standard, with extremely clean wiring, lead dress, layout, and of course circuit design.

As I have said, they have been quite well-received, and I can say from experience that they are quiet and highly musical. I am very particular about quality workmanship, and while they are designed in Europe and built with under strict supervision and quality control in China, the latter fact helps bring cost down considerably. In my view, very highly recommended.

PS: I also own the Decware Mini Torii 6V6 amplifier, and having studied both products wiring and overall construction, can say with certainty that Prima Luna is very much on par with the Mini Torii in terms of build quality.

Edited by erik2A3
  • Like 1

Guest thesloth

When looking at this amp I had clicked on the owners manual. The actual web page does clarify that the input sensitivity is 1/4 volt. But can someone explain to me why (in the owners manual) their S/N ratio is measured from 200Hz-80kHz? Hum is noise correct? Are they purposely not including 60Hz or 120Hz ripple? I still get a bad feeling about this company.

Designed in a Europe and produced in China, the same old shitty cycle in our economical nightmare we live in. When I see made in China I run for the hills.

• Like 1

I knew I was rolling the dice buying the Yaqin referred to in post 16 above. I was out of line by suggesting a QC issue. It's a long transit pipeline and obviously was shipped air from China to a port and trucked from there. Took about a week and a half and a lot of handling, packaging looked fine though, and was well protected inside.

Having seen the statements like "if you sell bad products in China they kill your whole family". Pretty good marketing.

It's just easier and less complicated to buy American. I'd rather pay extra for a work of art and peace of mind than get something cheap tossed together from acquired IP.

thesloth

I am surpised you are not more familiar with Prima Luna. I have read quite a bit about the company, and they are very well respected and build truly first rate vacuum tube audio electronics. The internal wiring of their products is quite esaily near the very top of other commercial products I have seen. They are designed in Holland, and built overseas to keep price down -- and that fact most certainly does NOT compromise quality.

I have had, and continue to have considerable respect for what they do in a normally rather over-priced and highly competitive market.