Prima Luna Dialogue Premium HP...

Dennie

Guest thesloth

I will say again that I have never heard these amps so read into this what you will. I consider myself fairly observant and when I see inconsistencies in the literature pertaining to gear people are trying to sell, I kind of question whether they know what they are talking about or not, or even maybe they are not being to honest and "fluffing" the facts. 

Well I do think it is extremely funny how badly someone is trying to sell these units. AND someone has been following this thread because ALL of the inconsistencies I pointed out in the literature have now been revised on both the companies website and the owners manual. 

Chinese P.O.S.

Edited by thesloth

Some of you surely know of Ken Kessler

http://www.hifi-notes.com/primalunaprologueone21-en.htm

edit: Dennie: please continue to research Prima Luna. I own one of their preamps, and, as a builder myself for many years, was truly enormously impressed by the product on all levels.

Thanks Erik, your opinion is in line with the reviews I've read from some very respectable reviewers.

Thanks,

Dennie

My overall impression of Prima Luna is very favorable. Happened to be browsing in a local stereo shop in Denver and my friend who works in the shop turned it on. This wasn't exactly 'critical' listening so take my general impression for what it's worth. I do know that I'd go back and really audition this amp if I was in the market for new gear and willing to cough up the bucks. (I'd also want to hear the amp paired with horn loaded speakers).

I'll quickly add that I just unexpectedly came across another Prima Luna reference in the July 2015 issue of Hi-Fi Choice. The Dialogue HP (four KT88s per side suggesting push-pull parallel operation) was being used in a simple, but high quality system, along with a Krell digital streamer and Martin Logan speakers. The Prima Luna again was highly praised.

An above post mentioned how Prima Luna might pair with high efficiency horn loading. Check Art Dudley's Stereophile review above. Scroll down to associated equipment used in his review, and you will find Altec Valencias.

• 2 weeks later...

LOVE this thread since I only recently was smitten by the TUBE phenomenon while checking out SS in audio shop.  A salesLADY (noteworthy since I am also a lady) demoed a MC275 with a C22 for me, and I realized that this was the sound I was searching for - which I had not found in the other SS. 

Problem now is that I am overwhelmed by choices. . . 

Gotta have a digital section, so there's the C2500, but I much prefer the "retro look."  So, now trying to decide - do I go with the MC275 and the C22 and add a D100?  It becomes overwhelming. . .  so I keep reading and studying and learning until I can make an informed choice. . .

But that tube sound. . . wow, unforgettable!

The MC275 is a great amp BUT if you are driving Klipsch speakers 75 watts is, IMHO, overkill. You may want to look into 'classic' McIntosh equipment if you are smitten by the sound. Just Google classic McIntosh as a start. Then try to listen to a few pieces. You may be even more enamoured. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bottom line, do yourself a favor and listen to a PrimaLuna, they're unbelievable. I had to learn the hard way. I read all the reviews and accolades for a lot of integrated amps. I purchased a brand new Cronus Magnum II. Loved their story. Good guys and made in the USA. The problem is, I couldn't get the amp to quiet down out of the mid horn. There was this incessant hum at idle (not ground loop), even across the room. I researched all the forum notes, talked to the factory, ran all sorts of tests, talked to several "tube experts" and there was no answer. After several weeks I was going to resign myself to the fact that I was going to live with the hum. I became obsessed. One of the guys I reached out to was Kevin at Upscale Audio to ask him if new tubes could help me. This guy is super passionate about audio and is the "real deal". He never disparaged the Cronus but he explained the reasons behind the hum issue and it turns out the super efficient Klipschorns are not a good match for the Cronus. Until I went through this I would have never believed it. The Cronus is a great, super well built amp. It's just not the right pairing for my Klipsch. I cannot begin to explain the dramatic difference in sound on every level. I would have been happy just to get rid of the hum (The PrimaLuna is virtually silent) but the bass is alive, the mids, are sweeter, everything is so much better at all volume levels. Forget about watts, I just don't have the vocabulary to describe how musical the PL is, it's like a great athlete who makes it look easy. My only advice is do yourself a favor, don't believe all the equipment reviews you read, go check it out for yourself. I really, really wanted the Cronus to work out but they're not even in the same ballpark. The PL is worth every penny. I have no interest in PrimaLuna, I just hope this helps some future Klipsch owner not take the same hard road I did.

• Like 1