Any one what to go lion hunting?

Travis In Austin

The word i heard on this guy was that he paid well into the 50K price range, what a friggin moron.

Also saw on the news his practice was shut down.

This guy better leave town and change his name, i see no other out.

• Like 3

Guest Steven1963

Admittedly, i only read one article about this (USA Today); but, i don’t recall hearing anyone make the claim that the lion mattered more than a person.  Granted, i believe some actually do think animals are more valuable than humans. but, i don’t see this as an either/or argument. i think we’re capable at being outraged at both atrocities.  The topic was about the killing of a lion--so people are naturally going to talk about killing animals for sport. If someone is asking me why i hate liver, i’m not going to talk about yogurt.

I'll take that as a challenge. But it'll have to wait until tomorrow as I need to get to bed.

wow, you’re sure reading into my words…i wasn’t aware i issued a challenge. 

My bad, I guess. It looked like you were making an argument opposite mine, so I took it as you wanting to talk more about it in the context that I laid out.

It is perplexing to me why this story has so much play while there isn't even a mention about the continued violence and death right here, every day, in our own country. Why is social media blowing gaskets over this story yet far more important developments go unnoticed, is beyond comprehension. Right now the news is reporting that people are protesting in front of his business and demanding that he be extradited to face charges in zimbabwe. Fine.  But where is their outrage about all the really important shit that affects them personally?

I don't know. Maybe it's just me that's lost my mind and I am the one not seeing things clearly anymore.

Edited by Steven1963
  • Like 2

To celebrate murder, death, destruction, and take proud photos with your murdered victims pretending it was prey, is a disease. For the God who created all things can these people be any different then a guy running a human death camp? It's ungodly.

Edited by jo56steph74

As children, we ran around smashing bees with fat plastic bats for sport. Is there a fundamental difference?

I agree that it's messed up how people react to some things, but not others. It's because we're a society that values entertainment as its highest principal. It's way more fun to talk about lions and spread uneducated opinions than to be faced with the reality of all the kids dying in Chicago....but hey, we don't want them there in the first place so who cares? Apparently several wanted that lion to stick around though....

And all these hunters doing it "just to eat". Seriously? That's just an attempted moral justification for the sport they enjoy. I'm not saying you shouldn't enjoy the sport, but don't try to kid anyone that eating is your motivation. The stories you guys tell about your favorite hunts are exactly the same motivation as this lion dude, and my childhood bee smashing sprees.

and my childhood bee smashing sprees.

but i bet you grew out of that, right?LOL....you don't do it now, right?? killing stuff is a child-mind thing...you need to prove yourself.  but when a person matures, they are supposed to develope a spirit inside to be more in harmony with the universe. to see the bigger picture and not be so selfish that you need to destroy life to get enjoyment.

dead spirit...no spirit...numb spirit...thats what cause people to seek out and plan killing other lifes. when you plan such killing, and pay money and make such arrangements...its murder, not hunting.

• Like 1

As children, we ran around smashing bees with fat plastic bats for sport. Is there a fundamental difference?

That's right.  And we grew up.  I killed a handful of birds with a BB gun.  I killed a snake for its skin once.  That's it.  Those experiences, alone, made me realize I was not cut out to be such a selfish and cruel person.

If a spider is in the house, I collect it live and put it outside.  I just don't stomp it or spray it.  Why kill it when I can save it?  From my perspective, it's simply in the wrong place.  It only needs to be relocated, and perhaps after that, we can both enjoy life more.

That's my attitude.

Edited by Jeff Matthews
  • Like 3

Also, as another example, I learned enough about snakes to understand how to tell which ones are poisonous and also, how to handle/catch them.  I am not afraid of snakes.

When I hear people talk of killing snakes, they usually are just ignorant.  "The only good snake is a dead snake."  I try to advise them that life is more complicated than that and that snakes are good and useful.  I tell them how rare it is to encounter a poisonous snake.  I have caught 1,000's of snakes throughout my 47 years, and in that same time-frame, I have probably encountered fewer than 10 poisonous snakes.  Essentially, these people are killing harmless snakes out of a misplaced fear and pure ignorance.  I tell them that all they have to do is take a small amount of time to learn which snakes are poisonous (there are only 4), and even then, the odds of encountering them are slim-to-none.  The 4 poisonous snakes in America are:

Rattlesnake

Copperhead

Water Moccasin

Coral Snake

It should not be too hard to know how to spot those 4.  Taking the time would really improve their humanity and stewardship.

• Like 1

Guest Steven1963

This is my last post in this thread. I'm not posting this picture for shock value or for entertainment. I'm posting it because nobody knows the names of these men but everybody knows that lions name. Pathetic, IMO. These men were real; far more productive and valuable than any thousand Lions. They had families. Perhaps children. They're gone and nobody here in America batted an eye. Meanwhile, we want this Dentist's head on a spike.

Somebody please wake me from this nightmare.

Edited by Chad
removed graphic image
  • Like 1

This is my last post in this thread. I'm not posting this picture for shock value or for entertainment. I'm posting it because nobody knows the names of these men but everybody knows that lions name. Pathetic, IMO. These men were real; far more productive and valuable than any thousand Lions. They had families. Perhaps children. They're gone and nobody here in America batted an eye. Meanwhile, we want this Dentist's head on a spike.

I disagree.

I am against killing humans, certainly as much as I am against killing animals.  Now, remember a very big distinction here.  There is justification for killing of humans when necessary for self-defense or defense of others.  You can't compare that to killing animals for sport and pure pleasure.  Sometimes, even animals must be killed in self-defense or defense of others.

Edited by Jeff Matthews
  • Like 1

Also, as another example, I learned enough about snakes to understand how to tell which ones are poisonous and also, how to handle/catch them.  I am not afraid of snakes.

When I hear people talk of killing snakes, they usually are just ignorant.  "The only good snake is a dead snake."  I try to advise them that life is more complicated than that and that snakes are good and useful.  I tell them how rare it is to encounter a poisonous snake.  I have caught 1,000's of snakes throughout my 47 years, and in that same time-frame, I have probably encountered fewer than 10 poisonous snakes.  Essentially, these people are killing harmless snakes out of a misplaced fear and pure ignorance.  I tell them that all they have to do is take a small amount of time to learn which snakes are poisonous (there are only 4), and even then, the odds of encountering them are slim-to-none.  The 4 poisonous snakes in America are:

Rattlesnake

Copperhead

Water Moccasin

Coral Snake

It should not be too hard to know how to spot those 4.  Taking the time would really improve their humanity and stewardship.

+10!!! LOL

I wanted to put 2 likes on this, but i can't, so i can say yahoo! +10!!! LOL this is how grwon people are supposed to think about life, about nature. not sitting around planning on killing stuiff with bows ansd arrows!!! what a imature mind even tho he has a dental degree he is a functional imparired human.book smarty people are not always the best people.

• Moderators

Well there is hunting domestically here in the US, none of the animals are endangered, all except varmints or pests are hunted for meat. It is taxed, they raise funds for conservation and lands. In Texas, most western states, Wyoming, Montana, the mid-west, Ohio, Michagan, and others like Wisconsin, a significant percentage of the population hunt. It has been passed down from generation to generation since before the founding.

Then there is fishing is that different? I don't know.

Then there is people who eat beef, chicken and/or pork. Is that different, maybe a little. Veal?

Farm raised duck, goose, elk, venison?

Leather shoes? I have boots made out of Ostrich, American Aligator, Elephant, Sting Ray, Ant Eater, etc.,etc. Ant eater became endangered way after I got my pair.

Mink coat, fox stole, beaver, coyote hood ruff, baby seal.

Should it depend on how beautiful the animal, how cut, how majestic?

There is mointain lion hunting legal in many, many states. Texas and Nevada advertise for them, but the bast majority of the public do not know how they are hunted.

It isn't a complex issue, it is more about when, where, and how you were raised. If you have a wolf or mountain lion eating your sheep, you are going to kill it.

Who was the professional athelete who had to kill a lion with a spear at age 14 as part of his culture? I dont remember a huge outcry about that, maybe because that was more of a fair fight.

In places where you really have to live off the land things are seen differently.

It is a matter of degree, some see a huge difference between eating a veal shank and harvesting a deer. Others maybe not so much.

• Like 3

Well there is hunting domestically here in the US, none of the animals are endangered, all except varmints or pests are hunted for meat. It is taxed, they raise funds for conservation and lands. In Texas, most western states, Wyoming, Montana, the mid-west, Ohio, Michagan, and others like Wisconsin, a significant percentage of the population hunt. It has been passed down from generation to generation since before the founding.

Then there is fishing is that different? I don't know.

Then there is people who eat beef, chicken and/or pork. Is that different, maybe a little. Veal?

Farm raised duck, goose, elk, venison?

Leather shoes? I have boots made out of Ostrich, American Aligator, Elephant, Sting Ray, Ant Eater, etc.,etc. Ant eater became endangered way after I got my pair.

Mink coat, fox stole, beaver, coyote hood ruff, baby seal.

Should it depend on how beautiful the animal, how cut, how majestic?

There is mointain lion hunting legal in many, many states. Texas and Nevada advertise for them, but the bast majority of the public do not know how they are hunted.

It isn't a complex issue, it is more about when, where, and how you were raised. If you have a wolf or mountain lion eating your sheep, you are going to kill it.

Who was the professional athelete who had to kill a lion with a spear at age 14 as part of his culture? I dont remember a huge outcry about that, maybe because that was more of a fair fight.

In places where you really have to live off the land things are seen differently.

It is a matter of degree, some see a huge difference between eating a veal shank and harvesting a deer. Others maybe not so much.

No.  If you kill to get excited like you scored a touchdown in a football game, it's bad... period.  We are not taking up the debate between vegetarians and omnivores.

• Like 2

Wow dude, sometimes your statements baffle me....Nobody knows their names because ISIS killed them, that's why.  Nobody here in America batted an eye?  Really?  Pretty sure we are launching airstrikes on these morons on a daily basis.  Not to mention we still have many troops on the ground in both Afghanistan and Iraq.  These two "issues" if you will, are not even in the same ballpark.

• Like 1