RC62 II Tin Can Sound

Dprice18af

I have an RC62II that I notice, at certain times on movie and TV sound tracks, almost sounds like someone is talking in a tin can or has a crackling sound. It is not all of the time, but does happen on occasion. I notice it more when someone is yelling in a scene. I really only notice it with voices in a soundtrack.  I had an RC52 before and notice it a bit with the RC52, but not at the level I notice with the RC62II.

Has anyone had this issue before? I'm running my RC62II on a Denon AVR-X2100W and have run the Audyssey calibration a few times now. I bumped up the center level in the AVR by 1db after running calibration. I have the speaker on-top of a TV stand that is 3' tall and the speaker is right at the front edge of the TV stand. The speaker is angled slightly up so it points to ear level of the listening position. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

I am a huge fan of the RC-62, almost as much as the RC-64 I have owned.

The Denon X4000 I owned on the other hand..

Never purchased the RC-52, probably one of the few Klipsch centers I haven't had, but I have heard the RC-62 out-classes it in every aspect.

Edited by K5SS
  • Like 1

I have an RC62II that I notice, at certain times on movie and TV sound tracks, almost sounds like someone is talking in a tin can or has a crackling sound. It is not all of the time, but does happen on occasion. I notice it more when someone is yelling in a scene. I really only notice it with voices in a soundtrack.  I had an RC52 before and notice it a bit with the RC52, but not at the level I notice with the RC62II.

Has anyone had this issue before? I'm running my RC62II on a Denon AVR-X2100W and have run the Audyssey calibration a few times now. I bumped up the center level in the AVR by 1db after running calibration. I have the speaker on-top of a TV stand that is 3' tall and the speaker is right at the front edge of the TV stand. The speaker is angled slightly up so it points to ear level of the listening position. 

I don't have experience with either of those speakers, but .....

Tin can: Sometimes dialog is recorded with a lot of the bass cut off, both on the microphone and on the board.  That can make it more articulate, but less natural.  An upper mid-range boost is sometimes used to make sure that even on a bad TV, dialog can be clearly understood.  Does the problem happen only on run-of-the-mill TV shows, and not on high budget ones like Game of Thrones or Downton Abby?

Crackling: On the other hand, crackling when someone is yelling might be due to clipping, or speaker damage.  Hope it's not the latter.  But, if you heard it a little on the RC52, maybe it is amplifier clipping or distortion, and the RC62 II is just more revealing. 

• Like 1

I know this sounds trivial, but sometimes we tend to overlook the obvious. Check all your connections/connectors, swap cables, etc. I've seen fuse holders with almost invisible cracks in them that were "just enough" to make intermittent contact at low signal levels, add noise at slightly higher levels and no problems as long as the gain was turned up enough for the current to "jump" the gap.

• Like 2

I suggest you check your cross over settings. 

If Audyssey set them you should be good to go, as Audyssey always hits my XO points spot on according to the speaker's spec's.  

When I've manually set my XO's to 100 Mhz or higher I get that tinny sound you are describing.  Setting the speakers to "full" (or large) or setting XO 40-60-80 took care of the tinny sounds.

My experience with this was in using surround speakers, not a center, so this solution might not work for you. 

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Just curious if you are using the same room.  If it is a larger room the bass is diminished due to the size.  If you don't have a sub, look into getting one.  A quick fix may be to turn the treble down 3 or 4 db.  Seeing  that you had an RC 62 I am assuming the other speaker are not great bass producers with 6 1/2 drivers or less.

I know most people are going to disagree with me but I enjoy the older Klipsch poly cone speaker sound when compared directly to the copper woofers. This is why  I lean towards the Legacy line. Even the RF series sounds a bit tinny to me at any kind of volume.

I have noticed this quite a bit with my RC-64ii. I've posted the exact same thing before. I've tried numerous crossover settings, angles, EQ's, etc. To be honest, Audessey just makes it worse, turning it off makes it better. I do not believe this to be an issue with the RF-7ii, but of course mose dialogue comes out of the center so maybe not fair to say so. The #1 example is Stanley Tucci on Transformers 4. I am very picky about my voices and his just does not sound natural. Female voices are not nearly as bad but low male is, although the crossover point does not really fix anything.

I have also noticed it to some extent on KL-650-THX's, although not as bad. I don't know what that means, whether it is a recording issue, Klipsch issue, or setup issue.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

The #1 example is Stanley Tucci on Transformers 4. I am very picky about my voices and his just does not sound natural. Female voices are not nearly as bad but low male is, although the crossover point does not really fix anything. I have also noticed it to some extent on KL-650-THX's, although not as bad. I don't know what that means, whether it is a recording issue, Klipsch issue, or setup issue.

It's not the BD, I suspect it is Auddysee.  It's really hard to setup a center speaker wrong.  But, a lot of people like Auddysee.  I am a MCACC fan.  It just seems to get the overall sound right.

I don't have experience with either of those speakers, but .....

Tin can: Sometimes dialog is recorded with a lot of the bass cut off, both on the microphone and on the board.  That can make it more articulate, but less natural.  An upper mid-range boost is sometimes used to make sure that even on a bad TV, dialog can be clearly understood.  Does the problem happen only on run-of-the-mill TV shows, and not on high budget ones like Game of Thrones or Downton Abby?

Crackling: On the other hand, crackling when someone is yelling might be due to clipping, or speaker damage.  Hope it's not the latter.  But, if you heard it a little on the RC52, maybe it is amplifier clipping or distortion, and the RC62 II is just more revealing. 

Big Budget stuff. I would never claim to watch Downtown Abby, or to even know what that is ;) But yes, it is big budget stuff like Strike Back.  

I suggest you check your cross over settings. 

If Audyssey set them you should be good to go, as Audyssey always hits my XO points spot on according to the speaker's spec's.  

When I've manually set my XO's to 100 Mhz or higher I get that tinny sound you are describing.  Setting the speakers to "full" (or large) or setting XO 40-60-80 took care of the tinny sounds.

My experience with this was in using surround speakers, not a center, so this solution might not work for you. 

I have the center set to small and the XO at 80hz. Audyssey wanted to put it at 40hz.

The more I think about it, boosting the upper midrange may be the key. When I notice it, it's like the upper midbass and lower midrange is bloated. I don't think that it's that it is tinny, it's almost like there's an echo or sound absorber and the bass-y voices get through. Upper treble is fine, "S" sounds and whatnot come through fine. I think it's more like 100-500 hz is mushy and bloated, almost like there's probably a sweet spot, but I ain't in it. I'm guessing that lowering the lower midrange and/or boosting 500-1200 until where the tweeter kicks in may help.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I have the center set to small and the XO at 80hz. Audyssey wanted to put it at 40hz.

I specifically got that "tinny" sound with my surrounds when I overrode Audyssey's suggestion of 40 and manually set them to 100, and experimented with them at 120.  Even at 80 I don't think I got that tinny sound.

I have found on my center that the bass setting DOES matter, especially when it comes to the male voice.  You wouldn't think that low in the range would make any difference with a voice, but to my ears it does. 

You might give the Audyssey recommended 40 a chance and see if the tinny sound goes away.

+++

Edit:  I just thought of this; you might want to set your XO to 120, to see if you can reproduce the problem.  If you can cause it, then you have the beginnings of how to solve it. 

If you can't re-create the problem with the high XO, you might eliminate it as a variable and look elsewhere to solve the problem.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

I have found on my center that the bass setting DOES matter, especially when it comes to the male voice.  You wouldn't think that low in the range would make any difference with a voice, but to my ears it does.    You might give the Audyssey recommended 40 a chance and see if the tinny sound goes away. +++

I much agree with this assessment.

Leave the crossover set to 80 and play some lower male register dialog and put your ear to your subwoofer.  If those voices are dominant coming from the sub, then lower your setting to 70, 60, 50, 40 or until it stops.

Lots of trial and error sometimes to get it "right".  I set my RC-64 at 60Hz but also cut my SB13 Plus at 63Hz with a 12dB slope for a little added protection.  Only the lowest male bass dialog(Sam Elliot) seeps through sometimes.

Bill