RC62 II Tin Can Sound

Dprice18af

I screwed around with this for a VERY long time last night. It seems that killing some EQ bands from 1 khz to 8 khz in the center channel can drastically reduce this. 63 and 500 hz can get rid of male voice boominess and 1-8 khz can get rid of the metallic sound for the most part. 125, 250, 16 khz, these didn't seem to affect much.

I screwed around with this for a VERY long time last night. It seems that killing some EQ bands from 1 khz to 8 khz in the center channel can drastically reduce this. 63 and 500 hz can get rid of male voice boominess and 1-8 khz can get rid of the metallic sound for the most part. 125, 250, 16 khz, these didn't seem to affect much.

Nice! I just need to figure out how to do that in my denon's settings.

Edited by Dprice18af

• 2 months later...

All,

A just a followup on my RC62 issue. Changing the XO to 60 helped but the issue is still present, replaced the cable and that did not fix. I did another test with music, running in 2.0, the other night. I took the cable from my from my RF82 and plugged it into the RC62 so the the RC62 was playing the left channel. I got pretty close to the speaker and listend, then moved the cable over to the RF82 and listened. I moved the left channel cable back and forth between the RC62 and RF82 several times to compare. The RC62 sounded muffled and subdued, through the tweeter, compared to the RF82. The RF82 was very clear and crisp, and the RC62 just sounded held back and lacked detail and clarity. I was even able to get the RC62 to reproduce the tine can sound on a song. I tested the same part of the song that sounded" tin can" like on the RC62 through the RF82 and the RF82 did not have the tin can sound issue at all. 

I called klipsch tech support and the tech said that he thought my tweeter was bad. He suggested that my AVR killed it because it under powered the speaker.I was taken back by this. My AVR is a Denon AVR X2100W. I have been told that Klipsch speakers are so efficent that most AVR's will power them without issue. The Klipsch tech said that I need to get an amplifier to avoid this issue in the future. What are all of your thoughts on this? Do you all think the tweeter is bad? Is my AVR causing the issue? I would think that my other speakers would also have issues if this were the case.

Haha to the tech you talked with--I've talked with Klipsch CS before--a couple of times and they have a lot to be desired.

One of the claims to fame of having Klipsch is SPL to power ratio.  I think the guy you spoke with is full of it.

I've been reading many post here and the Copper Cones in Klipsch Speakers seem to have issues that might not

be found in the IMG Cones that are in mine.  I personally like the sound my IMG Cones make and haven't had any

issues that I've read about with the Copper Cones. 

If you have a Speaker that produces 95db @ 1 Watt--A good quality AVR should be able to drive them to pretty

loud levels without Clipping and burning up drivers. Granted--all AVR's are not the same but I'd say most people here

are not using junk. 

My Harman Kardon which is 70 Watts produces 50 PWC when driven in 5.1 channel mode. In a moderate size room

these Klipsch Synergy's can get pretty loud with a great dynamic range without stress. 

I don't know who you talked to at Klipsch but he was probally a telephone operator.

When I spoke with them--they were hard pressed to answer the simplest of questions.

Edited by rebuy
  • Like 1

I have an RC62II that I notice, at certain times on movie and TV sound tracks, almost sounds like someone is talking in a tin can or has a crackling sound. It is not all of the time, but does happen on occasion. I notice it more when someone is yelling in a scene. I really only notice it with voices in a soundtrack.  I had an RC52 before and notice it a bit with the RC52, but not at the level I notice with the RC62II.

Has anyone had this issue before? I'm running my RC62II on a Denon AVR-X2100W and have run the Audyssey calibration a few times now. I bumped up the center level in the AVR by 1db after running calibration. I have the speaker on-top of a TV stand that is 3' tall and the speaker is right at the front edge of the TV stand. The speaker is angled slightly up so it points to ear level of the listening position. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

I own an RC-62II, and it has never let me down.  My XO is at 80 for it and calibrated for different levels.  Have you calibrated using any program or microphone?

I have to agree with rebuy here. The copper cones sound crisp for dialogue in a HT set up, but I find no matter what you do there is still a tinny sound to them. Peronally I feel the KSB series sounds better in a home theater than the RC series does. Just my opinion but I prefer the IMG woofers as well.

I tell you what, I get a little more irritated with Klipsch everyday seems like. This is so stupid. That x2100 will run any reference speaker just fine. Should have told the customer service guy to get a damn clue. I had a denon 1713 running palladiums for a while. They are 4 ohms. That "supposed" to be as hard to drive as it can get right? And that same 1713 ran rf-63 home theater, numerous other reference theater as well as Cornwalls. You name it most everything I've had or have had been ran by that 1713 at one point or another. And it's been sold to a friend and is currently running a rf-82ii setup including an rc-62ii and it does just fine! S

I have an RC62II that I notice, at certain times on movie and TV sound tracks, almost sounds like someone is talking in a tin can or has a crackling sound. It is not all of the time, but does happen on occasion. I notice it more when someone is yelling in a scene. I really only notice it with voices in a soundtrack.  I had an RC52 before and notice it a bit with the RC52, but not at the level I notice with the RC62II.

Has anyone had this issue before? I'm running my RC62II on a Denon AVR-X2100W and have run the Audyssey calibration a few times now. I bumped up the center level in the AVR by 1db after running calibration. I have the speaker on-top of a TV stand that is 3' tall and the speaker is right at the front edge of the TV stand. The speaker is angled slightly up so it points to ear level of the listening position. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

I own an RC-62II, and it has never let me down.  My XO is at 80 for it and calibrated for different levels.  Have you calibrated using any program or microphone?

I calibrated using Audyssey and the mic provided by Denon on a camera tripod. I have rerun the calibration so many times, that I have lost count. 

I tell you what, I get a little more irritated with Klipsch everyday seems like. This is so stupid. That x2100 will run any reference speaker just fine. Should have told the customer service guy to get a damn clue. I had a denon 1713 running palladiums for a while. They are 4 ohms. That "supposed" to be as hard to drive as it can get right? And that same 1713 ran rf-63 home theater, numerous other reference theater as well as Cornwalls. You name it most everything I've had or have had been ran by that 1713 at one point or another. And it's been sold to a friend and is currently running a rf-82ii setup including an rc-62ii and it does just fine! S

Yeah, I really wanted to call BS as well. But then I thought, "hey this dude works for Klipsch, so he must know his stuff." 

I probably talked to that same guy about the same issue in the past.  Pretty sure he told me a woofer was blown. :)  

These centers are nice as far as centers goes and all, but if you get a chance sometime, hook up a third tower that matches your mains in the middle especially if you're running an RF-7ii.  Totally different sound, no nasal voices, no tin cans.  

I probably talked to that same guy about the same issue in the past.  Pretty sure he told me a woofer was blown. :)

These centers are nice as far as centers goes and all, but if you get a chance sometime, hook up a third tower that matches your mains in the middle especially if you're running an RF-7ii.  Totally different sound, no nasal voices, no tin cans.  

I would love to have a third tower as center, but no space and the wife would kill me. I might think about getting a bookshelf (RB61II) in the future.

I would love to have a third tower as center, but no space and the wife would kill me. I might think about getting a bookshelf (RB61II) in the future.

Cmon….you can squeeze a third center in there, she won't notice :D

So Klipsch support got back to me and said they will send out a new tweeter, but they think that avr clipping caused my tweeter issue. They said that my Denton avr-x2100w did not provide enough power (95w) for my RC62II. They told me I need an amp, something that puts out 150w. I have to imagine that most consumer AVRs are under powered by this logic.

Members PipPip 19 posts Online Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:19 PM So Klipsch support got back to me and said they will send out a new tweeter, but they think that avr clipping caused my tweeter issue.

AVR clipping might cause your tweeter to fail if you ran the AVR full tilt.  The reality is that something caused that tweeter to fail.  It would be in your best interest to figure out what.   Is it possible you turned it up to 10/10ths?  I'm guessing you didn't, but I thought I'd ask. 

In any case, I'm glad they stepped up with a new tweeter.  Credit where credit is due.  :emotion-21:

Edited by wvu80

So Klipsch support got back to me and said they will send out a new tweeter, but they think that avr clipping caused my tweeter issue. They said that my Denton avr-x2100w did not provide enough power (95w) for my RC62II. They told me I need an amp, something that puts out 150w. I have to imagine that most consumer AVRs are under powered by this logic.

Get that 150 watt receiver, run it full range or cross over at 40 hz, pop in the Metallica blu ray, and crank it.  It'll still clip like crazy.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

The reality is with the amp clipping, it will pour a ton of power into that speaker and can damage the speaker.  In the audio world, to much power has always been viewed by many to be better than under powering a speaker.  Running electronics hard can get you into trouble.