The RF-7 II have Arrived!

artto

I have bi-wired and bi-amped before, different speakers and different receiver.  

In my opinion I think you will get more out of Atmos.  I am very happy with the new setup on the 838.  The 838 has connections galore, but can only activate 7.2 or 5.2.2.  (just like you said).  It looks like once you assign the outputs it won't send the signal to any other channels. I wonder if that holds true for the pre outs as well.  

Can you have speakers on the front left and front right and have the pre out for front left and front right active as well?  With an additional amp of course.

http://www.onkyo.com/manual/txnr838/adv/en/043.html

The link above shows the speaker connections to the 838 for bi-amp. I took a look at the 838 setup configuration and it seems to me all you do is remove the speaker connector post jumpers on the RF-7 and connect the speakers to the receiver as shown.

These speaker outputs on the 838 apparently can be used for front "height" (Atmos) or to bi-amp the front left & right main speakers.

I'm looking forward to Atmos but there's nothing available that I'm interested in. Maybe when they release "Gravity" with Atmos on 4K BluRay I'll make the upgrade.

Edited by artto

The link above shows the speaker connections to the 838 for bi-amp. I took a look at the 838 setup configuration and it seems to me all you do is remove the speaker connector post jumpers on the RF-7 and connect the speakers to the receiver as shown.

These speaker outputs on the 838 apparently can be used for front "height" (Atmos) or to bi-amp the front left & right main speakers.

I'm looking forward to Atmos but there's nothing available that I'm interested in. Maybe when they release "Gravity" with Atmos on 4K BluRay I'll make the upgrade.

So then is the crossover frequency settable? and the slope? and the delay? etc......... Or one size fits all?

And Scrappy,

We're talking a true bi amping set up here not bi wiring.

babadono, I don't know. The settings on the Onkyo just let you select "Normal" or "Bi-Amp". The Advanced Manual shows a diagram that looks like most speakers that have "bi-wire" connectors (4 binding posts). And it shows the receiver's "Height/Bi-Amp" terminals connected to the "Treble" connectors on the speaker and the regular Front L&R terminals connected to the "Bass" terminals on the speaker. It says at the end "Use speakers supporting bi-amping only. For details refer to the speaker's instruction manual.

The Klipsch Reference Series manual says "Some Reference speakers come with dual binding posts that are connected by a metal strip. It is possible to *Bi-Wire* a speaker that has two sets of binding posts. Please see your receiver's manual for further assistance."

From the above I'm led to believe that I when I connect the Height terminals the uppermost binding posts on the RF-7 the treble frequencies will go to the treble drivers on the RF-7 and likewise the Front L or R connected to the bottom pair of binding posts on the RF-7 will send the bass portion of the signal to the bass driver(s).

Yes, I agree. There seems to be something missing to this equation. I don't know what kind of crossover Klipsch is using per se'. I remember reading/hearing about something where Klipsch uses some different kind of crossover setup on these because one of the "bass" drivers is also reproducing well into the midrange while the other "bass" driver is dedicated to the lower frequencies. It's not as cut & dry as using an electronic/active crossover sending a separate frequency range to each driver individually.

Maybe someone from Klipsch could chime in on this?

Edited by artto

The speakers have the 4 binding post but, the passive XO is still in the mix.  As the other post mention, delay, and frequency adjustment will most likely be needed.  Try it, nothing to loose but a little wire.  Atmos should be a lot of fun.

AaronH, it just depend on how one likes the sound.  There looks to be some toe-in.  Depending on how close you are, you may just have to much of the tweeter hit the ears and things are bright and fatiguing.  I don't have the tweeters aimed at my ears.  It is personal preference.

Edited by derrickdj1

The speakers have the 4 binding post but, the passive XO is still in the mix.  As the other post mention, delay, and frequency adjustment will most likely be needed.

Then apparently I'm missing something.

If I connect the "Height/Bi-Amp" terminals to one pair of binding posts (top/uppermost ones) and the Front L & R to the other pair of binding posts (lower ones), I'm under the impression that I'm going to have twice as much power going to the RF-7. Is this correct?

OTOH it's not like I need the extra power in this application and room. But extra headroom is always nice.

With a passive XO in place, the extra power for each driver will be spent as heat in the passive XO.

If that's the case, then what's the point? - Of the extra binding posts, and Onkyo showing a hookup for bi-wiring using a second pair of amplifier outputs? I don't get it :)

I tried the bi-amping with my 7's with the avr, separate power amps and after a couple of weeks, I did not see any benefit.  I tried it with a Yamaha M 80, 250 watt.  Most of the time the 7's use less than 50 watt in a 4300 cu ft. space.  Movies may push them near 80 watt at ear bleeding levels.

So then is the crossover frequency settable? and the slope? and the delay? etc......... Or one size fits all?

And Scrappy,

We're talking a true bi amping set up here not bi wiring.

if I'm not mistaken true bi-amping requires two different amplifiers. If you think the onkyo is gonna be like doing that your wrong. Sorry. I know what the conversation is about also. I know the difference between bi-wire and bi-amp. Like I said most will tell you bi-amping with an Avr and Passive crossover a big fat waste of time. You can do as you like of course.

With a passive XO in place, the extra power for each driver will be spent as heat in the passive XO.

If that's the case, then what's the point? - Of the extra binding posts, and Onkyo showing a hookup for bi-wiring using a second pair of amplifier outputs? I don't get it :)
oh you get it!!! This exactly!!! Marketing mumbo jumbo is what it is. The rookies all think they are getting twice the power. The veterans know how it really works and now you do to art. And knowing is half the battle.

oh you get it!!! This exactly!!! Marketing mumbo jumbo is what it is. The rookies all think they are getting twice the power. The veterans know how it really works and now you do to art. And knowing is half the battle.

Thanks! Yeah, I thought maybe something "new" had come along that I wasn't aware of - I'm more of a 2-channel/music guy. HT is secondary and not a priority. Nonetheless, I still prefer the best I can get for the need at hand.

I just got done watching Star Trek "Into Darkness" on Netflix 4K/UHD. Pretty Cool. The floor and couch were shaking and my dog Ralph (90Lb Labradoodle - likes Led Zeppelin) was visibly stressed by the sound levels. And I'm sure I was "pissing off the neighbors" too.   :lol:  Do I need more? :P  I'd say that's a BIG NO! The RF-7 II sound great for cinema.

Yea I don't get it yet either. like Johnny5 says 'need more input'