PIC Request - La Scala Smoked Glass Tops

rockhound

I have some stencils from the Dtel's, I want to have some glass tops etched for my Cornwalls I just haven't decided if I should go smoked or clear as my Corns are Birch raw.   Good thread by the way.

I could very well be mistaken but I would think that clear would work better for etching. I am sure that the Dtels can help us on that. Other than that pick up a couple of broken samples from the nearby glass shop, stencils, tape, air compressor and sand blaster: go for it

• Like 2

• Moderators

I was thinking more about the etching contrast (readability) rather than veneer color.

I can find out, I have a couple of wine bottles I was going to throw away so I can test it on them. They are greenish color and two different darkness's but it should give an idea how they look after etching. I will post pics when they are done.  

• Like 2

• Moderators

OK there done, it appears to show up fine, to me anyway. I took 4 pics kind of in different light.

One thing, when you go to etch cover everything you don't want etched, look at the pic's you can see where I did not tape off the top of the bottle. It etched the glass just from bouncing off where I was etching. I just use the blue painters tape, it seems to work fine and is easy to get off.

The first 2 pics are on a table with a big window to the left, the last two were are outside in full sun.

It's etched with Aluminum Oxide which make the etching look to have fine texture, sand has a much rougher texture, still looks good just looks different, test out on a bottle or something first.

post-9700-0-80740000-1438633062_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-33660000-1438633093_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-60700000-1438633119_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-86500000-1438633143_thumb.jp

Edited by dtel
  • Like 2

• Moderators

A good portion of our business comes from making stencils, decals, etching, heat transfer vinyl on shirts, backpacks etc.  We use stencil vinyl to make the stencils. We have a vinyl cutter and the software allows us to duplicate almost any design.  

I think the PWK logo would etch nicely into just about color glass.  As you can see from dtel's pics even the fine lines on the PWK pie logo shows up nicely.  There are several etching creams available at retail outlets, such as Hobby Lobby, in the event you aren't set up with a blasting cabinet.

Hope this helps!