PIC Request - La Scala Smoked Glass Tops

rockhound

LaScalas with smoked glass, don't use the dots or the felt.

Previously I used felt, the people who cut the glass tops for my other furniture to match told me not to use the clear dots of felt???

They told me both stain the underlying wood, I didn't see any stains on my LaScalas but took their advice anyway.

If I had to use one, I would use the felt dots since they seem less likely to bleed into the wood, they didn't on mine after 20 years.

Smoked is hot, just like the Belle pic, clear I wouldn't spend the money.

My glass tops are NON-tempered (not needed for this application) 1/4" glass, I prefer clear to see the natural wood grain. The corners are radiused, and the edges are sanded for a smooth appearance, but not polished, which costs considerably extra. 

THere are small nickel sized hard plastic spacers placed between the glass and wood surfaces. These are called DISC TABS by my glass cutter. I put them on corners and about every foot, so 9 per LS top (2 ft 2).  

I have them on my LS and CW, and they look very similar to Scalawags, except for my rounded corners and the disc tabs. I've had them on for years and no veneer pulling or discoloration due to the plastic tabs. I have the same situation on Dad's old walnut desk and credenza with no issues whatsoever. I think the tabs let the wood breathe a bit. 

Edited by colterphoto1
  • Like 2