Advice on klipschorn build.

Zoef

Started a new thread. Plans changed. First plan was to build a pair of 2 way cornscala's. (And some other plans passed, sorry for the posts)

In search of parts i got a great deal on a pair of horns. The guy who sold me a pair of B&C de750tn drivers had a pair of Volti fc260 horns. I got a very good deal so i could not pass on them. So now a 3-way was the way to go. B&C de750tn for mids , Beyma cp25 for tweeters.

Crites cast are on the christmas list.

My wife was the one who said she liked the klipschorns more. (Never argue with that. [emoji2]) So she/we agreed in changing.

About the beyma's,

If i understand correctly reading on the internet the beyma's "like" a gentle slope crossover. (Am i wrong?)

So maybe a ap12-350 and ap15-6000 would be the way to go for a setup like this? (These are diy if i am correct? Schematics are on the web.)

Or are there other good crossover designs that are more suitable.

Also, the de750tn is way more sensitive than the beyma, do is still need a tweeter attenuator?

I need something that i can build myself. Living in europe has some disadvantages. Shipping and taxes (and some more taxes and than customs and some more taxes) are taking the fun out of the project. For most parts the shipping alone is more than $100.

( ok, as a plus, the beyma's are very cheap overhere)

To be clear, I don't want to offend anybody. I know a lot of members here are shop owners. Everybody needs to make a living and i very much respect that. I simply do not have the money to buy the goods ready made. (for example, very nice crossovers) Some goods are almost double in price because of taxes and shipping. So for me diy is a big thing. And yes, it gives me a very good feeling that i was able to make it myself. Everybody is proud of selfmade things.

I have build a lot of speakers and crossovers over the years, so yes i know that i need to respect the given part values. And i know what goes wrong when i change one of them. If a schematic is posted here i assume i can use it for my own. ( not for commercial use ofcourse)

So please be gentle with your comments[emoji4]

build so that the top hats are adjustable in terms of direction. A University Classic or a Dean are about the same size are a much easier build and can produce more bass and allow for two way use. Threads on this forum. Forum member Nico Boom has two sets of Khorns and a set of Classic horns and the Khorns are in storage. Either way have fun and enjoy.

I assume you know that Khorns are a difficult speaker to build. Lots of angles and compound cuts. I built a pair several years ago with moderate success and using them in my bedroom system. The speakers that James mentioned are a little easier to build. They still have a few compound cut but by far easier to construct. I know their are others here who have built the Khorns. I hope they will chime in as well. And yes it is very satisfying to build and listen to such a complex speaker. I will attach a pic of my build.

post-34299-0-68980000-1438313580_thumb.j

Edited by Bigdnfay1
  • Like 3

build so that the top hats are adjustable in terms of direction. A University Classic or a Dean are about the same size are a much easier build and can produce more bass and allow for two way use. Threads on this forum. Forum member Nico Boom has two sets of Khorns and a set of Classic horns and the Khorns are in storage. Either way have fun and enjoy.

Hi james, thanks for the suggestions. I will look into the adjustable top hats.

Khorns got approvel because of the corner placement. "takes up less space".

Any thoughts on crossovers? ( with the parts i use)

If Nico wanted to sell me a pair of klipschorn bass bins with drivers..........

Edited by Zoef

Bigdnfay1 & totalcomfort,

You also recommend other designs. Are these better than the klipschorn?

I like deep/fast bass. Deeper the better lol. must be corner placed.

Building the klipschorn will not be a problem. My sisters husband is a carpenter....He is going to build the bass bins for me.

Edited by Zoef

Hi james, thanks for the suggestions. I will look into the adjustable top hats.

Khorns got approvel because of the corner placement. "takes up less space".

Any thoughts on crossovers? ( with the parts i use)

If Nico wanted to sell me a pair of klipschorn bass bins with drivers..........

the Dean is a corner placement version of the Classic. The University horn is about the same size as a Khorn with some eq will play deeper and will play a good bit higher so you can go two way way less reflections than a corner horn like the Khorn or even a Jubilee or Jamboree.

The University Classic produces more bass than a K-Horn?!

James, (don't want to be a pain) could you sent me the thread i need to look at for these speakers? Can't seem to find them.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

you don't have to look any farther than the bottom of today's main page. You need to try just a little bit harder.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/forum/28-technicalmodifications/

Edited by moray james

The University Classic produces more bass than a K-Horn?!

and goes lower it does require a little EQ to do so mot importantly it extends up higher so you can actually go two way.

I stay with the klipschorns.

Here yo go.

http://www.volvotreter.de/khorn.htm

Plans are in the download section.

Don't know your abilities, but not a beginner build.

Thanks, i allready read these and have some more. My questions are not about the bass bins. It's about the crossovers that i need to use with the drivers i got.

James tried to make me switch to a university build. Always nice to see other options but it was not the question.

James, (don't want to be a pain) could you sent me the thread i need to look at for these speakers? Can't seem to find them.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

you don't have to look any farther than the bottom of today's main page. You need to try just a little bit harder.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/forum/28-technicalmodifications/

Thanks , i know how the search funtion works. [emoji6] Edited by Zoef

I stay with the klipschorns.

Here yo go.

http://www.volvotreter.de/khorn.htm

Plans are in the download section.

Don't know your abilities, but not a beginner build.

Thanks, i allready read these and have some more. My questions are not about the bass bins. It's about the crossovers that i need to use with the drivers i got.

James tried to make me switch to a university build. Always nice to see other options but it was not the question.

"James, (don't want to be a pain) could you sent me the thread i need to look at for these speakers?" \

you make it sound like I committed a crime. The fact that PWK spent his life after the Khorn attempting to design a horn that would extend higher so it could be used as a two way (as the Khorn was initially intended) is significant that is why the Jubilee came into existence. The Khorn has to many bends and folds and they destroy the horns upper end extension. The University does not share the problem to the same extent and plays higher so you can go two way. All depends upon what you want to do and having options is always good. If you want to go three way then you go that way but if you want to go two way you have some options. There are other cabinet designs but they may not be in the size format that you want. The two designs attached both go as low or lower and both go as high as a University but both are a little larger than you may want. Like I said options are always good to have.

post-44375-0-94180000-1438502640_thumb.g

post-44375-0-35580000-1438502665_thumb.j

post-44375-0-12580000-1438502760_thumb.g

Klipschorn build is not that easy. DO NOT go into it if you do not have a table saw with precise angled cut ability.

Arash, i was awere of that. Lucky i will not build them myself. My sisters husband is a carpenter. Has all the tools needed.
  • Like 1

Started a new thread. Plans changed. First plan was to build a pair of 2 way cornscala's. (And some other plans passed, sorry for the posts)

In search of parts i got a great deal on a pair of horns. The guy who sold me a pair of B&C de750tn drivers had a pair of Volti fc260 horns. I got a very good deal so i could not pass on them. So now a 3-way was the way to go. B&C de750tn for mids , Beyma cp25 for tweeters.

Crites cast are on the christmas list.

My wife was the one who said she liked the klipschorns more. (Never argue with that. [emoji2]) So she/we agreed in changing.

About the beyma's,

If i understand correctly reading on the internet the beyma's "like" a gentle slope crossover. (Am i wrong?)

So maybe a ap12-350 and ap15-6000 would be the way to go for a setup like this? (These are diy if i am correct? Schematics are on the web.)

Or are there other good crossover designs that are more suitable.

Also, the de750tn is way more sensitive than the beyma, do is still need a tweeter attenuator?

I need something that i can build myself. Living in europe has some disadvantages. Shipping and taxes (and some more taxes and than customs and some more taxes) are taking the fun out of the project. For most parts the shipping alone is more than $100.

( ok, as a plus, the beyma's are very cheap overhere)

To be clear, I don't want to offend anybody. I know a lot of members here are shop owners. Everybody needs to make a living and i very much respect that. I simply do not have the money to buy the goods ready made. (for example, very nice crossovers) Some goods are almost double in price because of taxes and shipping. So for me diy is a big thing. And yes, it gives me a very good feeling that i was able to make it myself. Everybody is proud of selfmade things.

I have build a lot of speakers and crossovers over the years, so yes i know that i need to respect the given part values. And i know what goes wrong when i change one of them. If a schematic is posted here i assume i can use it for my own. ( not for commercial use ofcourse)

So please be gentle with your comments[emoji4]

This is main topic/question.