Front Height Speakers

Superdave

I have a new pair of RB-62II just laying around waiting for a spot in my lineup. So, I was wondering if anyone still uses front height speakers. I also wondered if I installed them in the the front height position, that I could feed them with the Dolby Atmos front signal.

Thoughts...

I think the Atmos speakers are Dolby certified to meet certain response requirements. So while they may "work",  you're probably not going to get what was intended. Dolby Atmos is a 3-D object based system.

I think the Atmos speakers are Dolby certified to meet certain response requirements. So while they may "work",  you're probably not going to get what was intended. Dolby Atmos is a 3-D object based system.

My system was designed around the Atmos placement, and it sounds awesome. I'll mount the RB-61II's 3 ft. above and try the two different input sources (Front height as it should be and Front Atmos speakers just for fun) to see which suits better.

Edited by Superdave

I think he is just talking about FH and not Atmos.  I got rid of surround back in favor of the FH although the bass from in back of the MLP was nice.  I like the movies in in all the modes about the same.
I thought you had some of those (5) subs located in the rear?? 

I have two subs in the rear, two in front and one around 20 ft. around a corner.  The one around the corner has tremendous output compared to the other two sealed subs due to location.  All five are asymmetrical and make for a great distributed bass system.  No real problems with peaks or dips before EQ.

I was watch The Battle of Los Angeles and was easily hitting 125 db at -5 on the avr.  I think that means things were a little loud, lol.

I am not sure how the FH speakers will work with the Atmos content.  I need to read up on it some more.

Edited by derrickdj1

If you are ever up this way, stop by!  The narrow hall area does make the sub function like a horn.  The old saying, put subs where they work best and not where they look best, lol.
Definitely will and open invite to you as well to my place. FYI, I'm adding 2 more SI HT 18's for a total of 6. But, will be behind the front left wall, stacked. With another iNuke6000dsp, all on the way. Should be even more intense. I hijacked my own thread! LOL!

Indiana sound like it is not a major destination for most people but, I am 30 min. from Downtown Chicago so, I am not stuck in the corn fields, lol.
The only time I make it to Indy is for the MotoGP race once a year. But that's nothing but a big party for 3 days! 

Fwiw, I use RB-5IIs as Front Height in my HT listed below and really like it in the Dolby PLIIz 9.2 mode...From my understanding when I upgrade to Atmos they are at a close enough angle to be used as my Front Heights in that scenario along with adding 2 speakers slightly behind us and in the rear, on the ceiling to make it 7.2.4...

That said, on my Denon AVR-4311ci I didn't care for Audyssey DSX settings.