Morbid question: How to donate body to science?

Coytee

Great thread.

I look forward to absorbing the shared information.

As has been said, being a donor is not the same as donating one's body to science. For many years my Michigan driver's license has displayed the red heart organ donor icon mentioned by others. At 66, I wonder how attractive my organs would now be. Nonetheless, there is one organ that is eagerly awaited at Boston University . . . my brain.

Some years ago I heard a program on NPR about a CTE (chronic traumatic encephalopathy) study at BU funded, in part, by the NFL. See: http://www.bu.edu/cte/our-research/brain-donation-registry/
The study examines the brains of people with multiple concussions, including what they describe as sub-concussive events. I contacted them to see if they were interested in my melon. They are.

They asked how many concussions I'd sustained from playing linebacker in high school, wrestling in high school and college and sailing (they don't call it the boom for nothing). I estimated 5 or 6. They then offered their definition of a concussion, to which I replied, "then more than a hundred."

I encourage anyone with a high concussion experience from sports, the military or life in general to check out the study and consider participating. I'd be happy to describe it to anyone interested. Send a PM.

It's good that the days of, "Rub some dirt on it and get back in there." are over. Concussion awareness has improved dramatically. There is still much to be learned from dissecting the brains of fools like me who had their "bell rung" too many times. The information gained will assist with minimizing concussions in the future and treating those who are injured.

Richard, your mother would be proud of you and what you are researching. When our bodies are no longer any use to us, it's good that they might still benefit others.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

Being a liver transplant patient I was also looking in to keeping costs down. My best friends mom donated her body and then he got her ashes back no cost. As far as being a organ donor I asked my doctor why so many people from out of state come to mid west for transplants. He told me the mid west was more open to donating organs than east and west coast. So there are more organs available here.

I need to have this talk with him about donating body I think I might be good study I never drank,smoked or did drugs. He asked me why I never did any of those. I said to start with I was poor but hobbies such as slot cars,,,r/c cars....then sport cars....and always audio stuff kept me from spending money on useless stuff. When I would see friends spend money on smokes,beer I always thought man that's a lot of money I could use for new amp...album....faster motor for slot car,,lol. Rick

In my area the Case Western Reserve University and the Cleveland Clinc have programs where the entire body after death can be donated. However the dead person must sign the paperwork prior to death and they are very picky on what diseases the body contains as these bodies will be used by medical students for training. The body is picked up within 3 hours after death. After the body is used (typically one year later) it is automatically creamated and the ashes returned to you by UPS if they are not picked up by a family member or they are buried in a local cemetery with a special service after they inform the family. This program has nothing to do with the donor progams as offered on our drivers licenses that donate organs in case of an accident.

JJK

Considering her mental status competency may factor into this process.  Is there a guardian named?  Can a guardian make this decision?  I doubt if there'd be any real legal consequences but in these litigious days institutions will want all the P&Q's covered in triplicate.  

I think you will find that getting all possible arrangements made before the time comes is a real blessing.

Going through all of it when your head is clear prepares you for the moment and frees up your heart to take the lead when the time comes and brings real peace.

Best Wishes

Thank you Travis....we were typing at same time.

I realize at 84, she won't have too many parts that people would want to interchange with themselves.

I was thinking more along the lines of 1st year med student having to go through Anatomy.

I've even talked to JC and tried to reach Paul about this to ask quite seriously....  "when you were in medical school and had your anatomy class.....  how respectful where they?"

You might have a funny movie where they give their cadaver a name and do stupid things with the body.  For all I know, this could happen if you have someone taking it a bit light hearted.

I wouldn't expect it to be all sullen & somber....  but I would expect (hope) it would be respectful.  JC said in his experience, it was.

I think I could deal with that.  Not sure about both sisters so have brought it up with them to plant the seed and give them time to decide why they don't like it (which is then fine by me) or, come to grips and be ok with it.

Let me say first, I'm sorry you are in this season.  It's difficult no matter what age they are.  I lost my father in November at the age of 64 from a one year battle with cancer.

As far as tone of the classrooms, I was a part of classes with four different cadavers and in each case the tone set by the instructors was one of great respect to each of the donors.  These were classes in Alaska and Washington (not just one school).  I learned a great deal!  My wife and I both donated our bodies to schools via our will with our atty.

I believe the families get the bodies back after one year (or so) for burial/cremation.  Good luck with the decision and process, it's a difficult one.

Considering her mental status competency may factor into this process.  Is there a guardian named?  Can a guardian make this decision?  I doubt if there'd be any real legal consequences but in these litigious days institutions will want all the P&Q's covered in triplicate.  

I was thinking along those same lines Oscar.  If she was a nurse for years she certainly had every opportunity to be a donor.  Maybe she considered it and didn't want to?  Who knows?  You certainly can't ask now.  The time for this conversation would have been when she was lucid.  First and foremost you want to do what SHE would have wanted and no one really knows what's going on in someone else's mind but them.

• Moderators

Coytee, I wanted to come back and tell you that I wish you and your family all the best.  It's so much easier if our loved ones would express their wishes before circumstances such as this occur.  I know you have your mom's best at heart.

Sending big hugs and kisses!

Christy

well, you could go venture onto the streets of Oakland after the sun goes down...wait, i'll be doing that in a couple of weeks.

I think it's a noble concept.  I signed up to be a donor...i have a family member that said they'd go to court and fight it. I told them to mind their own business.

• Like 1