A question for the experienced R2R crowd

richieb

I have the opportunity to purchase a local (no shipping) lightly used, mint Pioneer RT 707.

From my research the only real downside to the unit is the 7.5 reels vs. the standard 10's. It is reputed to be one of the best sounding and ruggedly built decks of its day. But my reel (get it) question is - what would I do with the damn thing? Record - what? I have yet to check but can you buy high quality recorded tapes? Or it is so damn purdy just set it on the shelf to admire.

If you set on a shelf and don't use it the RTR police will come get you. It is a great format and will sound really good, I record my cd collection on mine. I change the tape recordings every few weeks, kinda keep a greatest hits tape. It will amaze you at the quality of the sound. Keep the heads clean and just a little love will keep it running for years.

Try United Home Audio.

I've seen them at AXPONA here in Chicago. They're "reel" :D  big on master tape transfers. Not sure if they sport anything with the slower speeds the 707 has but it's worth a try. They have quite an extensive catalog.

http://unitedhomeaudio.com/

• Moderators

I have the opportunity to purchase a local (no shipping) lightly used, mint Pioneer RT 707.

From my research the only real downside to the unit is the 7.5 reels vs. the standard 10's. It is reputed to be one of the best sounding and ruggedly built decks of its day. But my reel (get it) question is - what would I do with the damn thing? Record - what? I have yet to check but can you buy high quality recorded tapes? Or it is so damn purdy just set it on the shelf to admire.

What did you decide to do? There are plenty of great sounding prerecorded tapes on ebay. There are at least 2 or 3 very reputable sellers on there that back everything they sell, no questions asked. Unfortunately, they are not the bargin like they were 10 years ago.

You want to make sure the pinch rollers are new fresh rubber, the Pioneers tend to gum up over time.

Travis

Thanks for the input fellas. DWLawyer I have decided I need a rtr like another ahole. After researching some of the provided sites I see that like many things hi end audio and very much like vinyl, the rtr world is way more expensive than what I would appreciate. Pre-recorded masters - good god they are pricy. More than what I would pay for the 707. I have spent a kings ransom the past 10-15 years buying/selling gear and while my rig appears small compared to the marvelous sets from Wardsweb, it does sound tremendous. I think I'll spend my money on something much more sensible/practical that the wife and grand kids can enjoy -- like a boat.!? (Please, please someone stop me, tell me no you're crazy, for I already know it is. Been there done that).

Fyi, a common problem with the 707 and 909 are the tensioner limit switches. When they open the capstan motor won't turn on. There is a replacement you can get from Digi-Key.

The pushbutton switches along the top/front also need periodic cleaning.

Bruce

post-5045-0-78720000-1439173077_thumb.jp