New Found Respect for the RB-75's

jjptkd

Recently picked up a pair and all I can say is wow! I had a pair previously in a different room / house and compared them to my RB-5 II's and my fully updated Chorus II's and was honestly less than impressed. This new pair in my new room are just fantastic! They easily run away from my RB-81 II's to the point that it is almost sad. Don't get me wrong, the RB-81 II's are great "bookshelf" speakers its just that the RB-75's are convinced they are towers, and if I didn't know any better I would be too.

My question to the Klipsch staff is simple: Why in the world have you not made a new version of the RB-75? You have proved what is possible YEARS ago, why can't you offer something at least as good as the RB-75 today? I could even put up with cheap, vinyl wrap or whatever cost cutting measure it would take to get something new out to market.

the RB-81 II's are great "bookshelf" speakers its just that the RB-75's are convinced they are towers, and if I didn't know any better I would be too.

That is a great line and one I have expressed in a less crafty way. ;) 

My question to the Klipsch staff is simple: Why in the world have you not made a new version of the RB-75? You have proved what is possible YEARS ago, why can't you offer something at least as good as the RB-75 today?

Yeah, why? :unsure: 

I could even put up with cheap, vinyl wrap or whatever cost cutting measure it would take to get something new out to market.

Not me, it must be real wood veneer. :D

Bill

My question to the Klipsch staff is simple: Why in the world have you not made a new version of the RB-75? You have proved what is possible YEARS ago, why can't you offer something at least as good as the RB-75 today?

I too really like the RB-75s and my guess is they wouldn't be cost effective to produce given other speakers in the market...Even when they were in current production they weren't readily available in stores and it took me over a year to get 2 pairs...That said, I wouldn't let them go for what I paid for them. ;)

Edited by Zen Traveler

Agreed, they are a fantastic speaker! I'm going to upgrade the caps and resistors to really make them shine.

I purchased an additional pair of crossovers for them that were being sold on e-bay--I was thinking on sending them off to be 'upgraded' so I could compare the two but then I got distracted....

Edited by Zen Traveler

• 2 months later...

Recently picked up a pair and all I can say is wow! I had a pair previously in a different room / house and compared them to my RB-5 II's and my fully updated Chorus II's and was honestly less than impressed. This new pair in my new room are just fantastic! They easily run away from my RB-81 II's to the point that it is almost sad. Don't get me wrong, the RB-81 II's are great "bookshelf" speakers its just that the RB-75's are convinced they are towers, and if I didn't know any better I would be too.

My question to the Klipsch staff is simple: Why in the world have you not made a new version of the RB-75? You have proved what is possible YEARS ago, why can't you offer something at least as good as the RB-75 today? I could even put up with cheap, vinyl wrap or whatever cost cutting measure it would take to get something new out to market.

Hello, do you mind sharing what type of amp your are using with RB-75? 

I actually enjoyed them more than the RF-7s.

Yeah, they were smoother and didn't have the negative qualities of the RF-7's when I owned both at the same time. The 75's were hard to beat with a good sub.

I too was anxious to try on pair of '75's to the point of buying a pair on AGon. Our friends at UPS thought they would play "toss the box"

so on arrival one speaker box had a large rattle from inside the speaker itself. Yep snapped the driver off the plastic horn. I amcan only imagine what the xover looked like! I may try again one day --

Is really hard for me to accept their (RB-75) acclaim and dollar value relative to superb floor-standing speakers, for instance.

YET, people vote with their $ and their feet.  If enough informed consumers move toward the 75 and swear by it, there must be good reason. 

Enjoy, and I will continue to wonder and scratch my head . . . .