not loud enough..... for me

Dankimus

Here ya go, and by the way, these WILL pizzoff a neighbor, NO problem.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/for/5117333494.html

true enough about how the neighbors will respond but a stack like that in a home will sound like crap. A set of RF7 ll cannot keep up with a Chorus ll but a set of KLF30 or CF4 with some horse power behind them will out pump a single fifteen inch woofer but a dual ten cant move enough air better than a single 12 inch but cannot equal a fifteen. A set of dual fifteen in Cornwall cabs will kick but close to the level of a Khorn. See attached photo or JC's double driver 30 inch snail cabinet but you will need corners for that. Four fifteen inch woofers with good throw will get the job done at level a single EV DH1A can generate 10 acoustical watts of output across its band of 500Hz to 20KHz that's 120db which is more than loud enough. A driver with that kind of output on a K402 and you are made in the shade. A couple of tapped horns and you have the seizemic side of the bass department taken care of. The DBB does not need to be corner placed but that will help make for better extension.

post-44375-0-79860000-1438557232_thumb.j

Edited by moray james
  • Like 1

The RF 7 or 7 II's with a 250 watt amp should knock your soaks off.  Paired them with a nice vented 18 sub or two 15 in. subs and you will bother the neighbors.  For that size room, I would not be without a few subs.  A nice set of headphones  will do wonders also when you don't want to distrub others. 

Edited by derrickdj1

Here ya go, and by the way, these WILL pizzoff a neighbor, NO problem.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/for/5117333494.html

true enough about how the neighbors will respond but a stack like that in a home will sound like crap. A set of RF7 ll cannot keep up with a Chorus ll but a set of KLF30 or CF4 with some horse power behind them will out pump a single fifteen inch woofer but a dual ten cant move enough air better than a single 12 inch but cannot equal a fifteen. A set of dual fifteen in Cornwall cabs will kick but close to the level of a Khorn. See attached photo or JC's double driver 30 inch snail cabinet but you will need corners for that. Four fifteen inch woofers with good throw will get the job done at level a single EV DH1A can generate 10 acoustical watts of output across its band of 500Hz to 20KHz that's 120db which is more than loud enough. A driver with that kind of output on a K402 and you are made in the shade. A couple of tapped horns and you have the seizemic side of the bass department taken care of. The DBB does not need to be corner placed but that will help make for better extension.

"but a stack like that in a home will sound like crap"

I quite simply remained on the OPs request,

Not loud enough..... for me
  • Like 1

the guy wants loud so why bother suggesting dual ten inch woofers? I mean no disrespect to a set of RF7 ll, I know a set of RF7 ll with some watts can play loud but this guy wants VERY LOUD and he likely wants it very clean as well. I don't think that tens are the go to solution in this situation. Dual twelve sure dual fifteen absolutely. Sub(s) yes that's a good plan. One only has to look back over the last 40 plus years to see how many dual fifteen with a single horn (two way) speakers were designed and sold for theater and stage PA use to realize how useful and successful the format is. For home stereo and especially HT subs will be necessary. This format is about as large as you dare go for home use where most situations will be near field listening. Going larger gets mid and high horns too high ad the overall bulk starts to impose. A high efficiency two way witha a pair of fifteens wi;ll have the jump factor of a live performance and can move enough air to approach close to live quality sound in a home. That's just my take on it.

• Like 2

the guy wants loud so why bother suggesting dual ten inch woofers? I mean no disrespect to a set of RF7 ll, I know a set of RF7 ll with some watts can play loud but this guy wants VERY LOUD and he likely wants it very clean as well. I don't think that tens are the go to solution in this situation. Dual twelve sure dual fifteen absolutely. Sub(s) yes that's a good plan. One only has to look back over the last 40 plus years to see how many dual fifteen with a single horn (two way) speakers were designed and sold for theater and stage PA use to realize how useful and successful the format is. For home stereo and especially HT subs will be necessary. This format is about as large as you dare go for home use where most situations will be near field listening. Going larger gets mid and high horns too high ad the overall bulk starts to impose. A high efficiency two way witha a pair of fifteens wi;ll have the jump factor of a live performance and can move enough air to approach close to live quality sound in a home. That's just my take on it.

"Dual twelve sure dual fifteen absolutely" ?

EAWs run 4X15" each stack.

"single horn" ? 

EAWs run two each stack.

"Going larger gets mid and high horns too high ad the overall bulk starts to impose"?

It's called The clubbin atmosphere.

"jump factor of a live performance"?

Ask my neighbors.

post-57941-0-38740000-1438560375_thumb.j

• Like 2

• Moderators

I have to admit I didn't read every post but I think I spotted the problem, that's RF 35's :o it's no wonder it's not filling that room better. :P

Also you are probably a little deaf after the way you explained it. :(

Welcome dude, get some better/bigger speakers your problems will be solved, except for the deaf part. :D

Welcome you came to the right place...... :emotion-21: 

• Like 3

the guy wants loud so why bother suggesting dual ten inch woofers? I mean no disrespect to a set of RF7 ll, I know a set of RF7 ll with some watts can play loud but this guy wants VERY LOUD and he likely wants it very clean as wel

The 7's with a pair of vented 15 or 18 inch subs will definitely get you there and clean.  I mentioned the 7's because he ask about them in one of his post.  Run the 7's as small will get you an extra 4 or 5 db for midrange and HF and let the subs do the heavy lifting for the low end.  I use a similar combo in a 4300 cu ft space and can easily hit 130 db in movies and need less power for music. 

All of our suggestion will help with further hearing loss, which is not a good thing. :(

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 2

Minermark, if you ever want some help working you clam, give me a call,  530-913-5785.

What I have works decently for HT use, and will be better once the new amp plate I ordered today for my RW-10 arrives.  I guess I am being a bit overzealous in my expectations for SPL's from my system.  What really turned me on to Klipsch was an ex GF's system that consisted of a sony AVR with 75wpc running kf-26 towers a 12" sub, and ks-14's in an apartment livingroom that was about 8' X 12'.  Needless to say it was enjoyably loud.  

It's just not cutting it.   The fidelity is brilliant, but dammit, I want more DBs.  After years of loud machinery, working in refineries, building racing engines, trauck pulling, etc, I must be partially deaf or sumthin'.   The DBs just arent there for me.  

I have “profound” hearing loss in both ears … i know how you feel.

If you're really looking to shake things up in the 120+ db range you can keep an eye out for a KP stack. There are a lot of different models out there, pictured are the KP 250 & KP 250 II's with the KP 4000 18" subs. I've kept the KP-250 II's but modded them with k-55v mid drivers and stacked them on the newer Ultra 2 subs.

Wow!  Now that's a near field explosion of sound coming from that system!

I'm not sure of your budget, but If you want loud and want to keep the cost down, I might suggest you first try a pair of substantial DIY subs.  It may fill your sound pressure needs, but because you are adding subs it is louder CLEAN without really blowing out your eardrums, if that makes any sense.

A couple of 18 inchers powered with an Inuke NU4-6000.

http://www.parts-express.com/behringer-inuke-nu4-6000-6000-watt-four-channel-power-amplifier--248-6800

The Stonehenge is DIY, ported, easy to put together, and you can choose the 18" driver that fits your needs.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/ported-subwoofers-1/18-stonehenge.html

For speakers a pair of La Scala's can certainly fill up a room.

Edited by wvu80

I wish I had this problem. If anything, everything is too loud for me. I have some ear damage from shooting, and best I can tell, my brain kind of turns up the gain, which is exactly why people get tinnitus. Problem with that is that you get sensitive to certain frequencies, like the ones that you can still hear because your ears don't see damage that affect those frequencies, so suddenly you are hyper sensitive to them. Bass doesn't bother me but treble does.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

thanks for the suggestions everyone.  I am really a high freq feind, the more ear-bleed inducing the better. Contrary to alot that I read people saying on the interwebs, I would welcome more horn in the mid to mid-high range. 

As some here have indicated, I can see that alot of my spl deficiency is from lack of bass in my setup, and getting my "free" sub online is going to help a bit. I've also been looking into building one of Bill Fitzmaurice's Tuba sub horn designs that I would put in the corner of the hearth out ouf the way.   

• Like 2

A simple pair of HIP (Heresy Industrial Ported) with an electronic crossover and a subwoofer would do it. A couple of friends of mine do this with PPSL subwoofers I designed.

If you had WAF you could go for the EAW rig from minermark.

Here is a similar sized rig with PPSL subwoofers:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/dkleitsch/CoePA-2009.jpg

• Like 2

If you want big sound you need big speakers, period. Lots of flavors to choose from. I have modified LaScala's using a large Altec 511b but would love to have even bigger like K-402. You do not only get  louder but better quality sound too.

I agree with that, but there's more.

In an untreated room of that size and open floor plan, you are never going to get "good" and "loud" sound simultaneoulsy. You might listen at lower levels in the near field and get good sound. You might listen in the far field at higher levels and get LOUD. But never the twain shall meet. Doesn't really matter what speakers you use.

Now you can treat the room and reap some improvements. But you will always be at the mercy of " it is what it is". High ceiliings and an open floor plan are terrible for slap echo and wreak havoc with any sense of imaging.

Shakey

• Like 1

I like the HIP with subs suggestion, that's exactly what I'm looking for to replace my KP-250 II's. They are the best sounding, Heresy sized speaker that I have encountered and I've owned just about all of them. I prefer them because of they're relatively small size but you have lots of room to work with. My first choice for your space would be Chorus II's or Chorus I's with a nice sub or two. They really are great sounding speakers and will easily fill your space with loud, concert level sound if powered correctly.  

• Like 1