IronMan Boulder

kapsnb01

In Boulder today to watch my dad compete in his 5th IronMan. Just an incredible event to watch and experience. 2900 athletes lined up this morning to swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles, and run 26.2 miles. They started at 6:30 this morning and most won't finish until between 8-midnight tonight. Dad is through the bike and looking good to finish mid-evening. If you ever get a chance to watch...do it. Very awesome event to spectate.

• Like 3

You should be very proud! I'm willing to bet there's only a very small percentage of the whole U.S. that could make it that far, even if their life depended on it. I could probably do it-- if you gave me a week or two.. :lol:

That doesn't even compute in my mind. 112 miles on a bike is almost half way across my state, but wait Im gonna swim 2.4 miles or so first then run a  45K marathon after all that?  Thanks for sharing, your pops is tougher than a nail, Kudo's to him !  

My son did his first iron man in Cor d'laine (sp) Idaho 2 years ago and wound up having hip surgery.  Later a head injury in a crash.  I never thought he'd do this stuff again.  This was his best yet though and he is headed somewhere in September to do another.

His girlfriend doesn't look strong enough to lift a bag of groceries but the lady is an amazing athlete.

They eat weird stuff that smells bad.  They grind crap up in a blender at 5 in the morning.  They were home for the week then flew to Colorado on Friday for the race.

I figured he was doomed since he trained in Georgia and Texas then went a mile high to do the Iron Man.  The elevation had to take a toll.

They did not finish together though.  My son was way ahead of his gal.