Just pulled the trigger on a pair of Cornwall 1.5? I think.

Rjk1972

So I just grabbed a pair of 1985 Cornwall off of eBay for 599. Took a chance and grabbed them even though the seller only had a couple of pics and stated that they were Cornwall 2s even though the drivers weren't front mounted. After doing some research here and on other sites I'm thinking they're what I have seen described as 1.5s

The description according to the seller is CWO with "Special Description R" and Cloth 3. Seriel numbers are 8542657 & 8542658

Can anyone tell me more about them. What are the special descriptions? I have not seen those mentioned before.

• Like 1

If you have them now, post a pic or 2. Yes, someone here will let you know. :)

I have to drive to Boston to get them so I'm planning on picking them up this Friday. I'll post pics then.

Just really curious if someone here has an idea about what they are.

• Like 2

That's a really good deal for Corns if they're in good condition. Only 2 pics on ad so it's hard to tell. I'm sure others will chime in with more info but here's the pics from the listing......congrats!

$_57.JPG$_57.JPG

That's them. Yeah it looked like a good deal. They're described as being in excellent condition and the pics looked good. He also has the original boxes so despite the confusion about the model I decided to take a shot. I figure between being able to sell them if I don't want them and eBay's buyer protection I should be good.

• Like 1

Yeah it would. I have messaged back and forth with the seller. He seems to be an OK guy and stated he is the original owner and bought them in October of 1985. He was told they were Cornwall 2s and stated that he even had to wait a bit to actually get the speakers "because of the change over" the original boxes are included. So they have a good background. I'm just hoping for the best.

I was originally waiting for a pair of Cornwall 2 or Chorus 2 to pop up locally but have been waiting for almost a year now. Just got impatient. Figure I'll through some new crossovers in and either like these a lot or maybe go a cornscalla route with them or flip them after I grab a pair of Chorus 2 or Cornwall 2. After a quick comparison to make sure I like them better of course.

• Like 1

congrats and welcome to the forum

looks to be made on the 42nd week of 1985. one of the very last pair of cornwall 1's made because they switched over to the 2nd generation of the cornwall 2 ( they made a cornwall 11 back in the 60's ) late 1985

Edited by Budman
  • Like 1

congrats

looks to be made on the 42nd week of 1985. one of the very last pair of cornwall 1's made because they switched over to the 2nd generation of the cornwall 2 ( they made a cornwall 11 back in the 60's ) late 1985

Thanks everyone.

Budman, any idea what "special description R" is? I looked up CWO here and found that it is an oiled walnut veneer but can't find anything about "special description" anywhere

congrats

Thanks everyone.

Budman, any idea what "special description R" is? I looked up CWO here and found that it is an oiled walnut veneer but can't find anything about "special description" anywhere

yes CWO stands for Cornwall Walnut Oil

1983 was the last year they stamped the serial number in to the wood on the rear and 84 was the first year the serial number started with the year they were built

the R i'm not sure at this time depends on where it is on the speaker. the R could stand for the riser on the bottom if its on the label.

i don't follow any cornwalls into the 80's. i likem in the 70's    back then the builder and helpers would stamp their first letter of their first name into the wood on the rear side edge and the letters USA on the other side

my 79's have the letter A stamped into the wood for our own member here Andy ( HDBRBuilder )

Edited by Budman
  • Like 2

So I guess the question I have now would be about the differences between the midrange drivers. I assume these have the K52 drivers since they were made in 85. Any opinions on how they stack up compared to the K55v and are they interchangeable?

Nice looking Cornwalls.  I have Heresys with the K52 drivers.  They are doing rear duty in my 5.1 HT with three Corns (all with K55Vs).  They seem to blend just fine.   I sometimes listen to those Heresys in 2 channel, and they sound great with the K52s.  I think you have a very nice pair of Cornwalls.  I personally prefer Cornwalls to Cornwall IIs (I owned a pair of IIs for a long time - sold them when I got Khorns).

• Like 1