Atmos News

Nismo

I've seen a number of questions on how Atmos & DTS:X will shake out moving forward. Everything from the absurd; that Amos is DOA—to a more rational; is there a new format war coming? 

Atmos is hardly DOA. Atmos has been installed in Commercial Movie Theaters since 2012. Dolby recently announced that there over 1200 theaters that have already installed or have committed to installing Atmos. In fact, Dolby just inked a deal to partner with AMC, that commits up to 100 new Dolby Cinema experiences at AMC Prime Theaters. Dolby Cinema consist of both Atmos Sound technology & Dolby Vision which provides considerable improvment with brightness, contrast, color, black levels & details (larger luminance ranges, wider color gamut & high dynamic range; all at the pixel level). Atmos has over 300 titles announced & has the support from all the major Studio's & streaming via Netflix, Hulu & Amazon: 

* Warner Bros.

* 20th Century Fox

* Disney

* Sony 

* Paramount 

* Universal 

* Lionsgate

With that type of investment & infrastructure from Studio's, mixing & authoring tools, theater chains & hardware support (AVR's, processors, speaker manufactures) safe to say Atmos isn't DOA (unless you're just a hater). With Atmos & DTS:X... I don't see there being in a traditional format war (like HD-DVD & Blu-ray), where one will "win" & the other will be discontinued. In that instance there were separate camps with built-in loyalties & exclusive support with HD-DVD (Toshiba/Microsoft/Paramont/Universal) & Blu-ray (Sony/Disney, 20th Century Fox), eventually those loyalties folded when Warner Bros., Target & Walmart all left HD-DVD & the rest is history. Contrast that with the fact that Dolby & DTS have always coexisted as competing formats. Dolby clearly isn't going anywhere, neither is DTS. Both formats will continue to have support from Studios, mixing facilities & digital tool sets for authoring.

I thought this would be a good thread for the latest Atmos news & updates. So, feel free to add anything new to the thread. I'd like to invite Jay L to share any thoughts or insights with the development & testing of the new RP Atmos Speakers. I'm sure there's a lot of stuff from behind the scenes with Dolby that he could share (& some that he cannot). I'll start with this latest news below.

Recently Jay L brought the Klipsch Reference Premiere Atmos Speakers to Dolby's Burbank lab & mixing stage for a demo with Dolby & journalists. I'm sure we'll see future articles from other publications...

but you can find a full report from High-DefDigest here: klips.ch/1OGThT3 

And from Jay:

aUVFyu.jpg

Here's a glimpse (intro) of the HDD article by Michael S. Palmer

PMkPET.jpg

=================

UPDATE: A current list of ATMOS Blu-ray titles can be found on post #13 

Edited by Nismo

I've seen a number of questions on how Atmos & DTS:X will shake out moving forward. Everything from the absurd; that Amos is DOA—to a more rational; is there a new format war coming?

I looked at your current home theater listed in your sig and all I can say is nicely done. :) I can't imagine a format war between those two entities hurting consumers just like the previous Dolby and DTS codex didn't effect anyone unless they were early adapters...

I purchased a Denon AVR-4311ci about 2 years ago and not planning on going Dolby Atmos/DTS:X until at least another year or two...I also have placement issues for heights, but feel I could make it work especially with where I have Heights for Dolby PLz now...Something I also have been following is how good Dolby Surround converts legacy material to 5.1. I have a ton of DVDs, not as many Blu Rays and about 100 multichannel music disks, which are my main listening pleasure--Interested to see how the latter material converts. B)

• Like 2

I looked at your current home theater listed in your sig and all I can say is nicely done. :) ....

Something I also have been following is how good Dolby Surround converts legacy material to 5.1. ....

Thanks 5.2.4 is fun to finally have at home. Legacy material also works great with Atmos modules in place. When using Dolby Surround for older 5.1 discs, it will activate FHR/FHL & RHL/RHR and extend or elevate the sound. Not sure why, but with Neo:X or DD A-DSX Height... they only activate the FHL & FHR speakers (the rear heights do not become active). I haven't watched a lot of older titles, but The Matrix sounds great with 5.2.4 (simulated).

Edited by Nismo

Question for Jay L on the differences of the elevation speaker between the 280FA & the 140SA.

The (integrated) height/elevation channel of the floorstanding 280FA has a 6.5" driver (75W/300W) (Cont/Peak)

The add-on height/elevation module of the 140SA has a 4" driver (50W/200) (Cont/Peak)

I was curious if you've performed any A/B comparisons with both as front heights?

If so, how does the smaller 140SA hold up with the same source material? 

Are the differences significant enough to be audible between the two? Or are the differences negligible in a real world setting?

I looked at your current home theater listed in your sig and all I can say is nicely done. :) ....

Something I also have been following is how good Dolby Surround converts legacy material to 5.1. ....

Thanks 5.2.4 is fun to finally have at home. Legacy material also works great with Atmos modules in place. When using Dolby Surround for older 5.1 discs, it will activate FHR/FHL & RHL/RHR and extend or elevate the sound. Not sure why, but with Neo:X or DD A-DSX Height... they only activate the FHL & FHR speakers (the rear heights do not become active). I haven't watched a lot of older titles, but The Matrix sounds great with 5.2.4 (simulated).

That is interesting...I absolutely love my rear RB-75s coupled with ones used for surrounds (especially for music) so when I upgrade it will be 7.2.4 all in a less than 2,000 cu ft room.

Edited by Zen Traveler
  • Like 1

Nismo,

My questions about the format war for me are more about that my receiver does Atmos, but not DTS-X.  Will future AVRs have support for both formats?  Maybe I can get another software update to bring DTS-X in support.  

I did read that you don't have to have Atmos speakers or specific setups to take advantage of the sound format.  I am sure that upfiring or ceiling speakers help with the sound field, but not having them doesn't exclude you.  They are object based and not channel based, we (or maybe just me) are all used to 5.1 or 7.1, etc.   (Channel based setups)  Add the Atmos speakers and use them as front heights when the Atmos format isn't available...That is my two cents.

Once I added the Onkyo Atmos speakers I have been much happier with my setup.  Either 5.2.2 or 7.2.  Now I have to work on upgrading those to the RP-140SA's.

Edited by Pathos
  • Like 1

Question for Jay L on the differences of the elevation speaker between the 280FA & the 140SA.

The (integrated) height/elevation channel of the floorstanding 280FA has a 6.5" driver (75W/300W) (Cont/Peak)

The add-on height/elevation module of the 140SA has a 4" driver (50W/200) (Cont/Peak)

I was curious if you've performed any A/B comparisons with both as front heights?

Are the differences significant enough to be audible between the two? Or are the differences negligible in a real world setting?

I have not A/B'd them with a real time switcher. I do not have time right now or I would set that up. There is an appreciable difference from memory. I know in the direct axis the integrated is a big step up. It also has more bass output if that is important to anyone. If I haven't said it before, the direct axis is what you hear while sitting down. The less of it, the better.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I have not A/B'd them with a real time switcher. I do not have time right now or I would set that up. There is an appreciable difference from memory. I know in the direct axis the integrated is a big step up. It also has more bass output if that is important to anyone. If I haven't said it before, the direct axis is what you hear while sitting down. The less of it, the better.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Interesting. Thanks for the insight. Of course that begs the question; any future plans for 6-1/2" add-on modules?

Along the lines of news, here is a good place to list all the Atmos Blu-ray titles.  

I'll update this post as new titles are announced. 

* Transformers Age of Extinction (2D) 

* Transformers Age of Extinction (3D) 

* Step Up All In

* The Expendables 3

* Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2D)

* Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (3D)

* John Wick

* On Any Given Sunday, The Next Chapter

* The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part One

* Unbroken

* Gravity / Diamond Luxe Edition

* American Sniper

* Jupiter Ascending (2D)

* Jupiter Ascending (3D)

* The Gunman

* Insurgent (2D)

* Insurgent (3D)

* Mad Max Fury Road (2D) (Announced)

* Mad Max Fury Road (3D) (Announced)

* The Age of Adaline (Announced)

* Bram Stoker's Dracula (Announced) 

* Bram Stoker's Dracula / Supreme Cinema Series (Announced) 

* San Andreas (2D) (Announced) 

* San Andreas (3D) (Announced) 

* Game of Thrones / Season 1 Steelbook Special Edition (Announced) 

* Game of Thrones / Season 2 Steelbook Special Edition (Announced) 

* Game of Thrones / Season 3 Steelbook Special Edition (Announced) 

* Game of Thrones / Season 4 Steelbook Special Edition (Announced) 

=========================

There are a number of Import Blu-ray's including: Lucy, Chicago, Transcendence, I Frankenstein, Taken 3, Metallica... but no idea on the Region Lock / Subtitles / Dubs etc. for each title.

=========================

The first DTS:X Blu-ray has already been released: EX MACHINA

Edited by Nismo
  • Like 1

Along the lines of news, here is a good place to list all the Atmos Blu-ray titles. I'll update this post as new titles are announced.

Good idea, but having it on post #13 without a link and description in the opening of the thread may not easily lead folks that are interested to it...Possibly starting another thread may be better and it won't get convoluted with hardware, imo, 

Good idea, but having it on post #13 without a link and description in the opening of the thread may not easily lead folks that are interested to it...Possibly starting another thread may be better and it won't get convoluted with hardware, imo, 

I thought about a creating a new thread, but there's only a handful of forum members who have an interest in Atmos. So, another Atmos thread seemed overkill.  Might be different for everyone, but normally (at least with my browser & OS) when I click on a thread that I had previously visited, it automatically advances to the "last post" I have viewed, making any new content (posts) available. But good idea to update the 1st post of this thread, making note of the list on post #13. 

I thought about a creating a new thread, but there's only a handful of forum members who have an interest in Atmos.

Who cares? :D No, seriously, ChrisA started a Multichannel Music Thread that was excellent and we didn't have many responses, but I bet with Dolby Atmos becoming more Mainstream, it may even entice folks to consider upgrading. As far as I'm concerned, the more Dolby Atmos/DTS:X threads the better!

I also think a separate one with titles being released in those formats will be more beneficial for those that have already made the leap and folks can comment on various releases. My 2 cents.

In an earlier post, I had mentioned that during connection & configuration set-up, you will want to connect your Atmos speakers to the height terminals or the height pre-outs. Also, during calibration you will want to select "Front Height" with 5.1.2 &  "Rear Height" with 5.1.4 (do not select any of the other Dolby Surround, Dolby Front or Dolby Back configurations). Dolby Labs & (in my instance) Denon, both specify this connection & configuration for proper playback of an Atmos track.

Switching gears to alternate surround mode playback, Dolby Surround (Upmixer) DSU....  is the current available sound mode that replaces ProLogic IIx (at least with current generation of AVR's from Denon). Dolby Surround is selectable, just as is is Atmos,  Neo: X Cinema, Neo: X Heights, Dolby Digital A-DSX Height, DTS-MA, DTS:X... or any other sound mode that your AVR provides.

For non-Atmos content, Dolby Surround Upmixer is the perfect mode for all of your older legacy material. With your Atmos speakers in place (Front Height L/R; Rear Height L/R), Dolby Surround mode activates all the speakers you have configured 5.1.2  /  5.1.4  /  5.2.2  /  5.2.4 / .... etc.

Link below has a full article/review that touches on legacy material & Dolby Surround Upmixer mode (DSU):

Legacy Material & Dolby Surround with Atmos Speaker Configuration

7Mogmd.jpg

Speaker connection & configuration with Atmos:

JsWedv.jpg

ldQdN4.jpg

With Dolby Surround Upmixer (DSU) selected, older legacy (non-Atmos) material... all 5.2.4 speakers become active. Naturally DSU does not convert material to Atmos, but does a great job sending legacy content to your existing Atmos speakers . For example, The Matrix sounds excellent, with a great sound all around.

WJ04eu.jpg

7Mogmd.jpg

Well, I guess that quote didn't work, but I was quoting the Jim Roders quote about playing not Atmos mixes and noticing an improvement.

Hey!!! I said the same thing.  I have been happier all around since moving to the Atmos setup.

I am thinking about changing out the front Module speakers for Ceiling speakers.  I think I will get more coverage and better sound.

Keep up the info Nismo, I am sold on Atmos and we need to convert more followers!!!

Edited by Pathos