Atmos News

Nismo

Hello guys i been around here for a while & love Klipsch......I'm adding Atmos to my Klipsch setup this week & expect my pair of RP-140SA to arrive Tuesday. But i need some help. I wanting to do 5.2.4 setup so here my question because i will order another pair of RP-140SA this week. After watching Atmos for over a year & demoing it at Bestbuy like crazy I'm ready to make the investment & don't care about DTS-X right now only one movie out & DTS-X has been really quiet about future content(another discussion..lol)

1) Which AVR route should i take Denon x5200 or Denon x4100 & add Amp.

2) If i go Denon x4100 route which two channel amp would i need & best fix the situation....Be easy I'm a newbie when it come to Amps.

3) I'm planning to sit my front height RP-140SA on RF-7 II & my rear height RP-140SA on top off RF-82 II would this be a issue since my front about two or three inches higher & both are above ear level....Thanks

Edited by Nexgen76

1) Which AVR route should i take Denon x5200

If you go this route, the obvious advantage is all in one convenience, but higher $$$.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx5200w/denon-avr-x5200w-9.2-atmos-full-4k-ultra-hd-receiver-wi-fi/bluetooth/airplay/1.html#!specifications

Denon x4100 & add Amp

This route you get most if not all bells and whistles at a lower $$$.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx4100wa/denon-avr-x4100w-7.2-atmos-receiver-wi-fi/bluetooth/airplay/1.html

plus

2) If i go Denon x4100 route which two channel amp would i need & best fix the situation....Be easy I'm a newbie when it come to Amps.

IMO, if you will use the outboard amp for the additional two secondary channels, you really don't "need" more than about 75w/ch. 

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onkm5010/onkyo-m-5010-two-channel-75-wpc-amplifier/1.html#!specifications----(currently out of stock)

If you want a more powerful better quality amp to drive your main speakers, then look for something like this.

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/ele/5148962146.html

Bill

I personally think it's not wise to buy a 700$+ receiver that will be outdated Ina couple months myself buuuut, not sure of prices on 4100 vs 5200. If a 4100 with a small 200$ 2 channel amp is cheaper than a 5200 i would go that route.

One guy on here named nismo has a 4100 and he uses an emotiva mini-x for his additional amp. Think he enjoys it very much.

And as far as rear being a few inches shorter avr will compensate for that

Edited by Scrappydue

I personally think it's not wise to buy a 700$+ receiver that will be outdated Ina couple months

What part of the tech will be outdated?

Honest to goodness, I can't keep up with the constantly changing "latest and greatest."  It reminds me of the early days of the personal computers with DOS and the early Windows configurations where there was a new OS and a new video format every 6 months, VGA, EGA, Super VGA, ad nauseum.

1) Which AVR route should i take Denon x5200

If you go this route, the obvious advantage is all in one convenience, but higher $$$.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx5200w/denon-avr-x5200w-9.2-atmos-full-4k-ultra-hd-receiver-wi-fi/bluetooth/airplay/1.html#!specifications

Denon x4100 & add Amp

This route you get most if not all bells and whistles at a lower $$$.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx4100wa/denon-avr-x4100w-7.2-atmos-receiver-wi-fi/bluetooth/airplay/1.html

plus

IMO, if you will use the outboard amp for the additional two secondary channels, you really don't "need" more than about 75w/ch. 

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onkm5010/onkyo-m-5010-two-channel-75-wpc-amplifier/1.html#!specifications----(currently out of stock)

If you want a more powerful better quality amp to drive your main speakers, then look for something like this.

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/ele/5148962146.html

Bill

Looks like i will be going Denon x4100 & emotiva mini-x route....... I don't know anything about how to configure this setup where do i start & thanks for the input Bill.

I personally think it's not wise to buy a 700$+ receiver that will be outdated Ina couple months

Honest to goodness, I can't keep up with the constantly changing "latest and greatest." It reminds me of the early days of the personal computers with DOS and the early Windows configurations where there was a new OS and a new video format every 6 months, VGA, EGA, Super VGA, ad nauseum.

well guess it won't really

Be outdated but every has a processor that has Dolby true HD AND dts-HD master audio. Because Dolby and Dts coexist. Both receiver he listed only have Dolby and will not be able to be upgraded when Dts comes out very soon. Not sure I'd wanna spend that much money on something that doesn't have both when it's right around the corner. That's what I meant

I personally think it's not wise to buy a 700$+ receiver that will be outdated Ina couple months myself buuuut, not sure of prices on 4100 vs 5200. If a 4100 with a small 200$ 2 channel amp is cheaper than a 5200 i would go that route.

One guy on here named nismo has a 4100 and he uses an emotiva mini-x for his additional amp. Think he enjoys it very much.

And as far as rear being a few inches shorter avr will compensate for that

Denon x4100  699.99

emotiva mini-x 219.00

Total= 918.00

VS

Denon x5200  1,199.00

Saving.... 281.00

Which route would you choose ?

Honest to goodness, I can't keep up with the constantly changing "latest and greatest." It reminds me of the early days of the personal computers with DOS and the early Windows configurations where there was a new OS and a new video format every 6 months, VGA, EGA, Super VGA, ad nauseum.

Be outdated but every has a processor that has Dolby true HD AND dts-HD master audio. Because Dolby and Dts coexist. Both receiver he listed only have Dolby and will not be able to be upgraded when Dts comes out very soon. Not sure I'd wanna spend that much money on something that doesn't have both when it's right around the corner. That's what I meant

DTS-X not important to me now because the content( 1 Blu-Ray) isn't there so I'm willing to sit out another year.

I still think you're right! 

My philosophy is usually to buy mid-range and then after 4-5 years buy something else because of what you said, the tech changes so often.  I think we are about to change HDMI standards 2.0 to 2.2 (I think).  I've heard others discuss how the 4K HDTV's are about to change as well, so it's probably not a good time to invest in a big bucks TV.

Back in the 80's I bought a Zenith VHS player, in stereo for $700 when all the other VHS players were $200 for the promise of when stereo tapes would be released some day, I would be ready!  I was so smart, so hip, so ahead of the tech curve!  :smile:

Yeah, no.  Not so much.  :sad:

Stereo VHS tapes were never released, I never, ever played anything in stereo on that stupid white elephant!  And then just to mock me, VHS went out and CD's were in.

I just went back to bootlegging movies on my Betamax.

Edited by wvu80

My philosophy is usually to buy mid-range and then after 4-5 years buy something else because of what you said, the tech changes so often.

Agree. 

If most of you(us) have not figured it out yet, you(we) will always be behind the eightball when it comes to consumer A/V gear.  It's all part of the plan of obsolescence.  Too many fall right in that trap to have the latest and greatest right now.  I for one am not an early adopter and am content with what I have for a good while.  I was an early adopter of 1.3a HDMI standard with my Onkyo TX-SR705 that I bought in 2007 and used it in my main HT rig until 2012.  At that time, I went back to a pre HDMI 2004 AVR NAD T773 because it was a flagship model and produced superior music quality while maintaining equal quality with HT.

I am currently using a 2010 1.3a HDMI NAD preamp-processor that I have been very happy with but "may" go to an Atmos equipped pre/pro or AVR in the near future like the Yamaha RX-A3040.

Bill

Nexgen76:  Either the 4100 or the 5200 would make for a great option when going 5.2.4

It just depends on if you're comfortable with a refurbished 5200, with 1 year warranty for $1200.

Or of you prefer a BNIB 4100 ($779), with a full 3 year warranty + adding a 2ch Emotiva mini-x-a-100 ($219) for at total of $1000.

As far as being "obsolete"....virtually any gear is almost obsolete after purchase, because Company X is already working the next model. (lol) 

Half the guys here will say "Don't buy" the old model... because its outdated.

The other half will say "Buy" the old model... because you save $$$$."

Neither the 4100 nor the 5200 offer DTS:X or HDCP 2.2 so there's no pro/con evident there (seems that is not an issue with your decision).

The 5200 has the convenience of not connecting an external amp, but doing so hardly takes any an effort.

======================

I actually have the 4100 & the 2ch Emotiva driving my 5.2.4 Atmos setup & the 4100 has plenty of power for my mains & front RP-140's. While the Emotiva powers my rear RP-140SA's perfectly. Combined they more than fill the room with no effort.  No concern with your fronts being slightly higher than the rears, Audyssey will easily correct placement. No problem.

The 4100 offers tremendous value, so just depends on if you prefer BNIB or going the refurbished route. 
Edited by Nismo

• 1 month later...

Now this is multi-channel music. The first Blu-ray Audio disc authored in Atmos: 1615 Gabrieli in Venice.

http://www.whathifi.com/news/dolby-reveals-first-blu-ray-audio-disc-atmos?utm_content=buffer26e1c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Blur-ray Pure Audio Discs have been available for some time now, remastered with uncompressed 24bit/96k audio, including The Stones, The Who, Supertramp, Diana Krall, Vivaldi, Beethoven & many others. But all previous offerings were mastered in PCM 2.0, Dolby TrueHD & DTS Master Audio.

I hope the trend continues with Atmos Blu-ray Audio with more mainstream releases moving forward. 

White is "reflecting"... so, for this application that's a good thing. :D  

===============

Nextgen... your ceiling height would be an effective environment for either add-on modules or in-ceiling speakers. 

Any progress with AVR selection?