Atmos News

Nismo

True... I've found Victorian white has a more relaxed... Classic sound.

Most excellent  choice Jeeves. Non-Victorian options are a bit too austere for my taste. Especially since Black & darker colors are absorbing & thereby counter intuitive. :D  

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking at Pioneer as well. That AVR should get you to the 5.2.4 you were looking for. Did you also pick up a second pair of 140's (for the rear)?  Connecting them was a welcome addition for my HT. Just watch San Andreas & it was outstanding.

Congrats with the new arrival!

I've been looking at Pioneer as well. That AVR should get you to the 5.2.4 you were looking for. Did you also pick up a second pair of 140's (for the rear)?  Connecting them was a welcome addition for my HT. Just watch San Andreas & it was outstanding.

vvvvvv vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Congrats with the new arrival!

Starting out i was going to go .4 or nothing,Tomorrow my second pair arrive & everything going to be placed together.......Any tips on mod placements because my back couch is against the wall.

Edited by Nexgen76

Nismo, this is probably not the appropriate thread, but I read in another one that your surrounds are directly to the left and right of your seating.  That is similar to my setup.  Are your 140SAs placed directly on top of your surrounds and if so, are they angled directionally in any way?  Or are they lined up the same as your surrounds?  Thanks!

• Like 1

Nismo, this is probably not the appropriate thread, but I read in another one that your surrounds are directly to the left and right of your seating.  That is similar to my setup.  Are your 140SAs placed directly on top of your surrounds and if so, are they angled directionally in any way?  Or are they lined up the same as your surrounds?  Thanks!

Starting out i was going to go .4 or nothing,Tomorrow my second pair arrive & everything going to be placed together.......Any tips on mod placements because my back couch is against the wall.

My room is not large, an average room space 16' wide by 13' deep. My seating is along the back wall (with no space behind seating for speakers).

I have my RS-7's placed in each corner, on stands, angled into the room... which permits the 140's to sit on top no problem.

JEUPSz.jpg

IWv23F.jpg

U4lCSB.jpg

Edited by Nismo
  • Like 2

4200... 140... RF-7 ll... DTS:X... Atmos.... sounds like a great combo! Congrats ! Make sure to get San Andreas & Mad Max, those are the 2 best examples of Atmos.

Ironically, I already own those discs in part for the 3D.  I didn't even consider the Atmos component until I had my display pro calibrated last week and we talked about it.  I own a handful of Atmos discs already, so just need that pesky hardware. :D

4200... 140... RF-7 ll... DTS:X... Atmos.... sounds like a great combo! Congrats ! Make sure to get San Andreas & Mad Max, those are the 2 best examples of Atmos.

What demo you use to setup your Atmos ?

What Blu-ray do I use to dial in Atmos set up? My favorite Atmos Blu-rays in order:

1: Mad Max

2: Transfomers AoE

3: San Andreas

4: John Wick

5: Insurgent 

6: Gravity

7: Atmos Demo Disc

MxZjYC.jpg

ZfvbwKe.jpg

dxpuk1.jpg

K9xsbUk.jpg

27vdMb.jpg

jFQ2Oc.jpg

LYBthw.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the informative post.  I'm going to start with buying a single pair of 140SAs (along with an X4200W) to place on top of my RF-7iis and see how I like it and then move on from there.

ICYMI.... here is the 140 sitting on my RF-7. It should give you a good preview:

fF6rlHa.jpg

sCsZjw6.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the informative post.  I'm going to start with buying a single pair of 140SAs (along with an X4200W) to place on top of my RF-7iis and see how I like it and then move on from there.

ICYMI.... here is the 140 sitting on my RF-7. It should give you a good preview:

fF6rlHa.jpg

sCsZjw6.jpg

Where are the binding posts located, NIsmo?  Banana plug compatible?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Transformers just came in today!  that sure looks great on the Youtube ATMOS clips.

Not sure why my San Andreas doesn't seem to be in a true ATMOS?  doesn't seem to be hardly any overhead energy.  Maybe Mad Max just spoiled me....

Tried to watch Insurgent, fell asleep  (not good)  

Discovered it's not playing back in ATMOS.  Thinking the PS3 is the culprit.  UPDATE: bitstream audio out NOW ON...Didn't default back for some reason so now I just check it as I start the blu-ray.  It did help to crank up the overheads by 2db to balance with the rest of the RF speakers as well.  Huge difference, it's just not as realistic now when it's a unmixed disc (although way better than going back to just Dolby surround mode.  Recommend if you are thinking about it, very pleased with my set up coming along!

Edited by 007nco

When I gutted the house and started wiring for surround I guessed at what I might want to do in the future so I actually have runs pulled for upper L&R, sides and rears, but I'm not sure I'm ready to drink the kool aid just yet until I see where the processor pricing is going to settle in at, and when units come out that are capable of what I'm wired for which would be 7.6.2 I guess.

Glad to hear that those of you who are playing with it seem to be happy.

When I gutted the house and started wiring for surround I guessed at what I might want to do in the future so I actually have runs pulled for upper L&R, sides and rears, but I'm not sure I'm ready to drink the kool aid just yet until I see where the processor pricing is going to settle in at, and when units come out that are capable of what I'm wired for which would be 7.6.2 I guess.

Glad to hear that those of you who are playing with it seem to be happy.

i think you mean 7.2.6. Mains then subs then atmos.