Atmos News

Nismo

When I gutted the house and started wiring for surround I guessed at what I might want to do in the future so I actually have runs pulled for upper L&R, sides and rears, but I'm not sure I'm ready to drink the kool aid just yet until I see where the processor pricing is going to settle in at, and when units come out that are capable of what I'm wired for which would be 7.6.2 I guess.

Glad to hear that those of you who are playing with it seem to be happy.

i think you mean 7.2.6. Mains then subs then atmos.

6 subs wouldn't be all that unusual around here.

• Like 2

Had a few months to learn more, set up ATMOS and TWEAK for hours now. Only issue left to solve is if it is possible to get true ATMOS out of Youtube (just Dolby Surround on the Onk 3030)
Thoughts: Frustrated with lack of Blu-ray content. Really, maybe 5 discs worth having to "demo" the system for friends. Love the tech and presence....sort of like me waiting for proper SUHD 4K TV, waiting for 4K BDP etc. hopefully 2016 will tie up these loose ends.

ATMOS discs gotta own if you are ready to take the step, in order:

Transformers-Age of Extinction. The beginning 5 minutes will definitely be a "grab the remote quick!" when the low end response drops, very powerful. Space ship sequence and dinosaurs pretty impressive. Most rest of the flick keeps the excitement going through the surround and overhead speakers.

Mad Max- Fury Road. Virtually a tie for first; the opening sequence is very nice for a first introduction to unsuspecting listeners but just not quite the deep bass extension as Transformers. Certainly a "turn it up" sort of action movie to say the least.

Gravity-Diamond Edition. Just mostly constant space surround sounds. Radio transmissions, objects bouncing and crashing effects, fun, but doesn't detract for a pretty engrossing film with the immersion in the stratosphere factor.

San Andreas. Helicopters, earthquakes, buildings and structures collapsing. Film is really a "see it once" sort but nice effects scattered through the movie quite frequently to tune the sub localization and x-over points.

Pixels. The action bits with video game character scenes are nice. Not thrilled with the audio on dialogue scenes, but what do we expect out of a Sandler movie anyway. Kids like it the most of the 5. Hope it helps, hope to have more to share soon.

EDIT adding TO AVOID!

Insurgent (Part of the Divergent series.   

Bought this really just for a Sci Fi sort of ATMOS experience.   Tried to watch it, ONCE....TWICE.... and finally stayed awake enough to watch it in it's entirety the THIRD time.  No; not just me being tired for the evening entertainment, it's simply terribly BORING.  The ATMOS mixing is at best, mediocre and other than a few brief spots in the movie, not worth the purchase or Netflix.  (I'm selling mine on Ebay now for $12 shipped if you really want to try for yourself!)  

Edited by 007nco

When I gutted the house and started wiring for surround I guessed at what I might want to do in the future so I actually have runs pulled for upper L&R, sides and rears, but I'm not sure I'm ready to drink the kool aid just yet until I see where the processor pricing is going to settle in at, and when units come out that are capable of what I'm wired for which would be 7.6.2 I guess.

Glad to hear that those of you who are playing with it seem to be happy.

i think you mean 7.2.6. Mains then subs then atmos.

6 subs wouldn't be all that unusual around here.

Not what I meant, but at some point I will be up to 6 subs.

Frustrated with lack of Blu-ray content.

This is why my next upgrade will be a new subwoofer instead of focusing on getting a new Atmos capable receiver.  I figure it will be a year or so before Atmos encoded movies will be plentiful enough to warrant the upgrade.  Hopefully the receiver options will also be more plentiful and cheaper at that point as well. 

Frustrated with lack of Blu-ray content.

This is why my next upgrade will be a new subwoofer instead of focusing on getting a new Atmos capable receiver.  I figure it will be a year or so before Atmos encoded movies will be plentiful enough to warrant the upgrade.  Hopefully the receiver options will also be more plentiful and cheaper at that point as well. 

Can't argue with that logic but what has me jonesin' is that I've seen excellent reports on how the Dolby Atmos Surround does on legacy 5.1 material.

Don't forget that the receiver still upmixes to the height drivers. I STILL prefer the speakers doing the dury than before they were installed. It's that when it is ATMOS encoded, it really is that much more impressive. Would be a split decision depending on the current bass situation to me Fuzzy. At any rate, the progression is the enjoyment in the passion.

Don't forget that the receiver still upmixes to the height drivers. I STILL prefer the speakers doing the dury than before they were installed.

I realize this wasn't addressed to me but I run Front Heights (RB-5s) along with Rears in a 9.2 configuration and use Dolby PLz on all 5.1 material---After keeping up with the Atmos thread on AVS people seem to think that the Dolby Surround processor does even a better job...

• 2 weeks later...

New Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3050 and four Klipsch CDT-5800-C II coming in next week. Set up and installation of a 7.2.4 system is going to take the boredom out of January.

Already have Gravity and American Sniper on hand for testing; Mad Max and San Andreas ordered from Netflix blu-ray rental. Will probably buy Ex Machina because Yamaha 3050 comes with DTS-X either installed or ready for immediate download. The A-3050 will be routed out to an Emotiva XPA-7 so it will only be driving my four 5800s in the ceiling.

Should convert nicely from my current 9.2 system -- two RF-7IIs, one RC-64II, two RS-52IIs, four RS-42IIs and dual R-115 subs.

Also, since I am going to an Atmos setup, should I replace my RS-52IIs currently used as side surrounds with a new pair of RB-51IIs for more direction, and same for my two RS-42IIs used for the rears with a new pair of RS-41IIs? (Not much sound seems to be sent to the rears anymore.) And I can always move my 52IIs and a 42IIs to the bedroom.

I have a Yamaha A-3010 now so setting up should be familiar. If I can keep from stepping through the ceiling, all should be well.

Where can I go for recommended ceiling speaker placements? This is a conventional den area (17x21x8) with big leather sofa and recliners, etc. -- not a truly dedicated home theater with wall accoustics and bass traps, etc. I am still dumbfounded that my wife let me install the big RF-7IIs and a pair of huge R-115s in our den. So I'm not going to push it.

Edited by Gentle Ben