Windows Ten

derrickdj1

• Moderators

Was thinking about it and started reading stories in the news today and decided to wait. I'm not a computer guy so I figured I would wait until I see less negative stories. It seems it works fine but it has some changes especially with spying and there is a large update coming out soon to fix some already known problems.  ?

Don't know if any of it is true but with my experience (little) I decided to wait a while.

Edited by dtel

Had it for a while, and like it.  The acid test?  The PAW has a laptop with 8.1 and after nearly a year still cusses it to holy hell.  Upgraded her to 10 while she was on her mission trip to Nicaragua and she is happy as a clam.  No issues at all.

That's all I need to know...  Upgrading the rest as time allows.  As a person who has made a living from MS since 3.15, I really believe the new CEO is headed in the right direction.  The new core, continuum, Edge browser...really solid code that will allow MS to be fluid from desktop to phone. 

Her machine is an old Dell T5500 workstation, bit over 2ghz.  Boots 10 in 8 seconds from a several year old SSD. 

Impressive.  Appears stable, too. 

Dave

YMMV, dtel...but the installs so far have been flawless.  I have a bit of an issue with shared drives in that one of my 7.1 one machines is denied access to shared drives on the 10, but the 10 is able to get to the other.  Only burp so far and that is amazing.  I've never upgraded before until the first service release...but my research indicated this was worth a shot and I am having less problems so far than with any new release I can remember.

No driver issues, period...and I have some weird stuff compared to most.

Dave

• Moderators

8.1 right now, I use Classic Shell because I hate windows 8. I started having little problems lately, like with yahoo it wants to disconnect and re start the page pretty often, I had no choice this thing came with 8 and updated itself to 8.1, 10 can't be worse. 

Guest Steven1963

Win 10 has a feature called 'wi-fi sense' and allows your facebook friends and email lists access to your home wi-fi network if they are within range. As Martin Armstrong says "The real problem with this is rather sinister. The government would no longer need a search warrant for your surrendered privacy; good luck finding a judge who will uphold the rights that exist only in your imagination." 

I suppose they could just sit outside your house and tap into your computers and look for ....something. Sound rather paranoid, but the possibility is there I suppose. Be aware and make adjustments to your settings if that bothers you.

• Administrators

Wi-fi sense is an interesting "feature". I get the appeal that Microsoft is going for, but perhaps it should be disabled by default. The good news is it apparently only shares your wifi network info if you specifically tell it to with certain friends/contacts. Passwords are still encrypted and not able to be seen. I've not used the feature yet, and I doubt I will, as I only have a desktop PC running windows at home (and in a virtual machine on my work Mac)

What does Wi‑Fi Sense do?

Wi‑Fi Sense connects you to Wi‑Fi networks around you. It can do these things for you to get you Internet access:
  • Automatically connect you to open Wi‑Fi networks it knows about by crowdsourcing networks that other people using Windows have connected to. These are typically open Wi‑Fi hotspots you see when you're out and about.

• Automatically connect you to Wi‑Fi networks that your Facebook friends, Outlook.com contacts, or Skype contacts have shared with you after you've shared at least one network with your contacts. When you and your contacts share Wi‑Fi networks with each other, you give each other Internet access, but don’t get to see each other’s passwords. No networks are shared automatically. When you first connect to a network that you decide to share, you'll need to enter the password, and then select the Share network with my contacts check box to share that network.

The initial settings for Wi‑Fi Sense are determined by the options you chose when you first set up your PC with Windows 10. You can change your Wi‑Fi Sense settings any time by selecting Settings > Network & Internet > Wi‑Fi > Manage Wi‑Fi settings, and then changing one or both of these settings under Wi‑Fi Sense:

Loaded it upgrading from Win 7, was stable for a bit.  Liked it did some adjusting to get it to my liking then it started constantly restarting and giving me a Bad_Pool_Header error and would not boot.  Right back to Windows 7 once I got it working long enough to revert. 

Anyone else updating with the free Windows 10?  My computer is trying to get this new OS and it seems like it is going to take forever.

I've had the technical preview for over a year!!!! It takes a while to download and install...but it's a good OS. 

Win 10 has a feature called 'wi-fi sense' and allows your facebook friends and email lists access to your home wi-fi network if they are within range. As Martin Armstrong says "The real problem with this is rather sinister. The government would no longer need a search warrant for your surrendered privacy; good luck finding a judge who will uphold the rights that exist only in your imagination." 

I suppose they could just sit outside your house and tap into your computers and look for ....something. Sound rather paranoid, but the possibility is there I suppose. Be aware and make adjustments to your settings if that bothers you.

If your wi-fi is secured, they would still need your access codes to get in right? Oh and that's one thing that I've never kept ....a contacts list!!!!! The Melissa virus spread itself through our system many moons ago through contact list that our administrators and employees had.  Well - my machine was one of the few that didn't get infected!!!! They wanted to know how....I said no contact list ;), and no preview plane! 

As to it going smooth, part of the reason mine go smooth is that having been with Windows since 3.15 for Workgroups I have learned and taught my family and staff NEVER keep files on a system partition.  It's gonna die at some point.

When I upgrade, it's always a clean install to get rid of a few years of detritus in the registry and other garbage in the attic.  Yes, have to re-install software and settings, but I find it worth it.

The moment it is stable, I clone the drive to a good working drive I don't need, label it, and put it away.  If something goes wrong I can either shove it in and keep working, or clone back to the system drive.

Costs a little time and you need a spare drive...though that drive needn't be top of the line...but it's saved me a LOT of hassles over the years.

Regards,

Dave

• Like 1