Tracy

That is an issue that I am unaware of in the KLF line.  Bigest issue with KLF series are loose cabinets that need to be braced and re-glued.  Titanium diaphrams in the tweeters would not be the cause either.  Is it the driver or diaphragm that fails?  Either way without further details it sounds like either dirty or surgeing power is overloading the tweeter.

Best regards,

John

• Like 1

When I first brought home my KLF20's some 16-years ago, with a few weeks I blew both tweeters with what I thought was a moderate volume level.

Turns out I left the EQ set to the same levels as a pair 87db sensitive Technics speakers I've had forever. The HF settings were WAY too hot for the 100db sensitive Klipsch.

Edited by Mighty Favog
  • Like 1

Don't worry too much about the guage of the wiring you're using. That has nothing to do with the tweeter freaking out. 14ga. lamp cord wire should be fine for now.

I'm using speaker wires about the size of a garden hose but that's all about "voicing" more than anything else......(uh, oh.....here come the arguments). ;)

Edited by Mighty Favog
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The tweeters in the KLF 30s are reasonably robust.  They are used in many other Klipsch speakers with similar network topography.  I would be looking at what was done on the crossover upgrade or at the upstream components unless you are listening in a very large room at very loud levels.

• Like 1

stock KLF20/30 tweeters are robust enough, but the poly diaphragms just sound like crap and should be replaced with phenolic or to me better yet with titanium diaphragms from Bob Crites. The K79 tweeter is a good tweeter and is easily modified into an excellent tweeter with a little work. If your amplifier has a high frequency oscillation you are not likely to hear it but you will fry tweeters. There is no reason to suspect the tweeters. I would first have your amplifier and or source component checked out if they come back with a clean bill of health then contact Bob Crites and get a fresh set of capacitors and enjoy a better sounding set of loudspeakers that won't blow tweeters.

• Like 1