klipsch sw 8 humming

harmony08

I am not a stereophile guru. I just am wondering why this sub either flutters or hums.  Maybe I'll have to take it to the shooting range for target practice!

This sub was being used with a computer set up. Kenwood KA 7100 integrated amplifier.   With the level at 2 and the low pass between 50 to 70  ...I get a fluttering noise. I tried tweaking things without success.  I realize the sub was close to the computer, but should it be making this kind of audible noise?  This had been going on for a few months (I bought the sub last year used for $50).

After enough frustrations, I put the sub in the back room and hooked it up with a Pioneer Sa 7500 II   and Pioneer HPM 100's....and now I am not hearing the fluttering - but a solid humming. I disconnected the wires from the amplifier and the hum continues.  Because of the vintage amplifiers, I can't run dedicated sub wires to see if that will work...unless I take it to yet another receiver with a dedicated sub out.    Is there something simple I am missing. I read about plugging  it into the same power strip...would that really make any difference if the humming was going on while not connected to the amplifier? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Harmony08

It sounds like I might need to look for another subwoofer, unless someone out there has the amplifier cheap.

I love NW Indiana.    Potato Creek S.P. is a great place to go sailing... If nothing else on up to Michigan to the Indiana Dunes.    

Before I take this subwoofer out to the shooting range, maybe someone has a 4 ohm 100 watt plate they want to sell cheap   (I'm needing speakers wires from the amplifier to the plate...and then from the plate  to the speakers).   Any advice on closing the existing plate hole and framing  a new sub plate on the back?  There is nothing wrong with the speakers or the case.  I know I could go out and buy another subwoofer, I am just up for a challenge.

Harmony08

Parts express sells some plate amps.  http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sa100-100w-subwoofer-plate-amplifier--300-802

This one is $79 which is pretty good.  Compare this price to some new small subs around 8-10 inches and see if it is worth the trouble.  List your location in the garage sell section as a WTB and may be a member nearby has a small sub to sell. 

I will be putting up some subs to sell soon but, their way to big for what you are looking for. :)

Edited by derrickdj1