Atmos Blu-ray List

Nismo

So.... I've never actually seen (Francis Ford Coppola's) Bram Stroker's Dracula. Despite the stellar cast, it never really captured my interest (unless I;m wrong, I thought it was a slow burn love story). With everything in Sony's arsenal, I have to say it seems like a strange catalog choice to kick off Sony's brand new Cinema Series, complete with 4K restoration & Atmos.  Any of you guys recommend (1992) Dracula?

Dude, you need to see the movie.  All joking aside, even Keanu acts well in this.  Yes, it is a love story told from multiple perspectives, but the dialogue and flow of the story and the building of tension from Dracula's manipulation is superb.  I imagine the ATMOS track will add atmosphere (fancy that huh) to the dread the movie's tone sets.  Crap man, I will buy it for you and ship it.  You need to see this.

The Fifth Element & Leon The Professional are day-one purchases. Looking forward to remastered Atmos version of both. I guess I'll make it a Gary Oldman trifecta.... & pick up Dracula with Atmos. I've never seen it (or even part of it) in the theater, DVD, or cable. One could argue I'll be seeing the best version with my 1st viewing. Thanks for the recommendation !

You won't be upset.  I look forward to your thoughts.  Part of it is narrated by Anthony Hopkins, who also plays an aged Van Helsing.  Some script from the novel is narrated as well as if from a journal.  But it all adds.  I am getting the ATMOS release so I can hear what both the train in the beginning sounds like and the castle.  I bet money the castle sounds awesome.  And most likely creepy as all hell.  

• Like 1

And NISMO, if you don't like it, then our internet friendship is OVER!!!   :P

LOL, j/k

Well,,, you'll save some money (lol)

I did see Mary Shelly's Frankenstein with De Niro & thought it was horrible. Coppola's Dracula was a bit earlier than that... but I might have been unfairly associating with De Niro's Frankenstein. Sometimes its better to have lower expectations coming in. Then again... I've yet to determine if HDCP 2.2 has been implemented with this 4K release.... I might not even be able to watch it. (lol)

• Like 1

I thought John Wick was a great movie

Me too!  I had not heard of it.  At all.  Then a buddy told me about it so I went to Redbox for a blu-ray.  Damn good.  Luckily I didn't buy it since the ATMOS version is coming.  But Keanu did well.  Even though it was a movie, when they killed his dog I was nearly yelling at my TV.  But then he killed everyone...so, justice  :o

• Like 1

Do they ALL have a Dolby TrueHD 7.1 soundtrack, along with Dolby Atmos 7.1.4?

Yes... all titles also offer DD TrueHD 7.1 (for users who do not yet have Atmos decoding).

However, none of the Atmos titles (from Lionsgate, Universal, Paramount, Red Bull MH or Warner Bros.) also include DTS.

Exceptions being.... The Hunger Games: Mockingjay-Part 1, features DTS: Headphones: X

And the earlier (original 2014 release) of Gravity, featured DTS-MA 

That's too bad.  I'm not going to get Atmos, and, so far, I prefer DTS Master to Dolby True.

The new Jurassic World isn't going to be Dolby ATMOS?

I'm only listing titles that have been confirmed for release with Atmos. To date, Universal's upcoming Jurassic World has only been announced as DTS MA HD. Since it's coming out in a few days... pretty sure  the first dip will not offer Atmos. Universal has released several Atmos Blu-rays; Unbroken, The Gunman & the soon to be released... The Minions, so they can author the mix. However, Jurassic World never had an Atmos mix for the Theatrical release.

The strange thing for me is that there have been several Theatrical releases in Atmos (Kingsmen the Secret Service, Avengers Age of Ultron, Tomorrowland, etc.)... but the Blu-ray release was not offered in Atmos. Double dip greed.

Do they ALL have a Dolby TrueHD 7.1 soundtrack, along with Dolby Atmos 7.1.4?

Yes... all titles also offer DD TrueHD 7.1 (for users who do not yet have Atmos decoding).

However, none of the Atmos titles (from Lionsgate, Universal, Paramount, Red Bull MH or Warner Bros.) also include DTS.

Exceptions being.... The Hunger Games: Mockingjay-Part 1, features DTS: Headphones: X

And the earlier (original 2014 release) of Gravity, featured DTS-MA 

That's too bad.  I'm not going to get Atmos, and, so far, I prefer DTS Master to Dolby True.

Wait till you get Atmos. Confident you will then prefer Atmos over DTS-HD MA.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Following the (one-day-only) 4K & Atmos theatrical release of: Roger Waters The Wall... we now have the date for the Blu-ray release:  December 1st.

I've seen different reports on specs, so at the moment, not 100% if the Blu-ray is also 4K & Atmos... but rather silly if it was not. By all accounts the theatrical release was excellent, it should sound equally great on Blu-ray with Atmos. December 1st is not far off, really looking forward to bringing it home.

wY4jam.jpg

ok, so i have to ask this question, the UMC-1, UMC-200, and XMC-1 all don't support Atmos, so what's the processor / receiver that does? actually, just processor, i won't buy a receiver again. well, let me re-phrase...what's the processor that's most common to Klipsch folks that supports Atmos...???

(Nismo, i did read your sig, i see your Denon)

ok, so i have to ask this question, the UMC-1, UMC-200, and XMC-1 all don't support Atmos, so what's the processor / receiver that does? actually, just processor, i won't buy a receiver again. well, let me re-phrase...what's the processor that's most common to Klipsch folks that supports Atmos...???

Atmos is not that popular here (yet), so there in not a common processor or AVR of choice. If I was in the market for a pre/pro, these are some considerations:

1) MARANTZ  AV8802...... 11.2 / supports Atmos / DTS:X cannot update, $$ upgrade option TBD / HDCP 2.2 / THX U-2 certified / allows for 7.2.4 ($3,999)

2) MARANTZ AV7702Amkll......  11.2 / supports Atmos / DTS:X firmware update available / HDCP 2.2 / allows for 7.2.4 ($2,199)

3) INTEGRA DHC-80.6......   11.2 / supports Atmos (but not DTS:X) / supports HDCP 2.2 / THX U-2 certified / allows for 7.2.4 ($3,200)

4) INTEGRA DHC-60.6......  7.2 / supports Atmos & DTS:X / supports HDCP 2.2 / THX U-2 certified / allows for 5.2.2

5) ONKYO PR-SC5530...... 11.4 / supports Atmos (but not DTS:X) / supports HDCP 2.2 / THX U-2 certified / allows for 7.4.4 ($1,799)

There are some uber high-end option from Steinway Lyngdorf 16-ch ($18,000) & Trinnov 32-ch ($25,000-$30,000).

Atmos is not that popular here (yet), so there in not a common processor or AVR of choice. If I was in the market for a pre/pro, these are some considerations:

1) MARANTZ AV8802...... 11.2 / supports Atmos / DTS:X cannot update, $$ upgrade option TBD / HDCP 2.2 / THX U-2 certified / allows for 7.2.4 ($3,999)

2) MARANTZ AV7702Amkll...... 11.2 / supports Atmos / DTS:X firmware update available / HDCP 2.2 / allows for 7.2.4 ($2,199)

3) INTEGRA DHC-80.6...... 11.2 / supports Atmos (but not DTS:X) / supports HDCP 2.2 / THX U-2 certified / allows for 7.2.4 ($3,200)

4) INTEGRA DHC-60.6...... 7.2 / supports Atmos & DTS:X / supports HDCP 2.2 / THX U-2 certified / allows for 5.2.2

5) ONKYO PR-SC5530...... 11.4 / supports Atmos (but not DTS:X) / supports HDCP 2.2 / THX U-2 certified / allows for 7.4.4 ($1,799)

There are some uber high-end option from Steinway Lyngdorf 16-ch ($18,000) & Trinnov 32-ch ($25,000-$30,000).

there was an installer stating the 8802 would be able to do 11.2.4. It was in a home theater enthusiast group on Facebook. I kind of sat back and watched but he posted all kinds of stuff and everyone left him alone finally. I would guess he was correct in that is can support that much? He was in a current high end install already doing it. Edited by Scrappydue

1) MARANTZ AV8802...... 11.2 / supports Atmos / DTS:X cannot update, $$ upgrade option TBD / HDCP 2.2 / THX U-2 certified / allows for 7.2.4 ($3,999)

2) MARANTZ AV7702Amkll...... 11.2 / supports Atmos / DTS:X firmware update available / HDCP 2.2 / allows for 7.2.4 ($2,199)

3) INTEGRA DHC-80.6...... 11.2 / supports Atmos (but not DTS:X) / supports HDCP 2.2 / THX U-2 certified / allows for 7.2.4 ($3,200)

4) INTEGRA DHC-60.6...... 7.2 / supports Atmos & DTS:X / supports HDCP 2.2 / THX U-2 certified / allows for 5.2.2

5) ONKYO PR-SC5530...... 11.4 / supports Atmos (but not DTS:X) / supports HDCP 2.2 / THX U-2 certified / allows for 7.4.4 ($1,799)

There are some uber high-end option from Steinway Lyngdorf 16-ch ($18,000) & Trinnov 32-ch ($25,000-$30,000).

there was an installer stating the 8802 would be able to do 11.2.4. It was in a home theater enthusiast group on Facebook. I kind of sat back and watched but he posted all kinds of stuff and everyone left him alone finally. I would guess he was correct in that is can support that much? He was in a current high end install already doing it.

That would be 15 channels for mains & surrounds. Could be he's confusing the fact the 8802 has 15 balanced XLR's outputs. But 2 of the 15 XLR's are for the subs, so that still leaves him short (bringing the total number of XLR outputs for mains & surround to 13) & eliminates the possibility of 11.x.4

Even then, with 13 XLR's available for mains & surrounds, I would have to believe that not that all 13 XLR's can be actually used to processed at one time. You can only select (assign) 11 total channels that your set-up requires. 15 possible XLR's (including 2 for subs) just provide flexibility with various speaker configurations required by the user. 

Edited by Nismo
  • Like 1

holy cow! ok, i didn't want to derail the topic....to me, anything past 7 speakers is just nuts.  now if you are daddy war bucks and you have a 10,000sqft dedicated room....yeah, sure go nuts....

i guess you can use the phrase.... "if you build it, they will buy it!"

• Like 1

holy cow! ok, i didn't want to derail the topic....to me, anything past 7 speakers is just nuts. now if you are daddy war bucks and you have a 10,000sqft dedicated room....yeah, sure go nuts....

lol!!!!

holy cow! ok, i didn't want to derail the topic....to me, anything past 7 speakers is just nuts.  now if you are daddy war bucks and you have a 10,000sqft dedicated room....yeah, sure go nuts....

Now you know this forum is about spending money and stimulating the economy.  But, it can reak havoc on our personal economy, lol.