Hottest TV Show Last Nite!

Jim Naseum

Jon Stewart carved his niche, but I always liked the show when Craig Kilborn was the host.  When guys like that go mainstream it rarely seems to end well.  Similar to Jimmy Kimmel when he did the man show.  It's all downhill once they water down.

• Like 1

I like Jon Stewart, but I'll be recording him and watching "Rectify" on Sundance Channel.  Far and away the best acted show on TV, although, I don't watch much TV....

I thought I was the only one watching Rectify! I've been watching since day one and really like it. It's a show that's hard to figure out where they're going. I think Amantha is a Hottie!

I like Jon Stewart, but I'll be recording him and watching "Rectify" on Sundance Channel.  Far and away the best acted show on TV, although, I don't watch much TV....

I thought I was the only one watching Rectify! I've been watching since day one and really like it. It's a show that's hard to figure out where they're going. I think Amantha is a Hottie!

You're right, very hard to figure out the progression of where they are going to take it.  Haven't watched last night yet.

For years Stewart was said to have done a comedy show about the news. But this is dead wrong. For 16 yrs, Jon did an honest news show with integrity. The purpose of which was to keep viewers well informed (whether you agreed with his point of view or not). The reason why Jon and his cohorts were so funny is because they were never shy at pointing out just how ridiculous most currents events topis really are at face value.

• Like 1

I completely agree with the below:

For years Stewart was said to have done a comedy show about the news. But this is dead wrong. For 16 yrs, Jon did an honest news show with integrity. The purpose of which was to keep viewers well informed (whether you agreed with his point of view or not). The reason why Jon and his cohorts were so funny is because they were never shy at pointing out just how ridiculous most currents events topis really are at face value.

That said, it appears we are in a minority on this forum. ;)

For the record, I stopped watching the Daily show when my internet provider stopped streaming it the day after the show aired...It seemed that there was a Media turf battle going on and I didn't want to get involved.

Edited by Zen Traveler
  • Like 1

js offered the best platform possible for highly reactionary figures. while nominally poking fun of them, he gave them massive airtime and access to his prized audience of mostly young people. that's how subversion works. never the obvious!! highly rich dudes prize reactionary figures for the most obvious reasons. $30M a year guy doesn't make enemies with them in power!!! LOL but he m,anaged to pull big wool over many eyes for many years! LOL

one of the most clever illusionists ever. he disarmed most analysts with dumb humor.

Edited by jo56steph74

As a Canadian, I'm already a minority and have been ok with it.... :P

he disarmed most analysts with dumb humor.

Not 'dumb' humour, simple humour. Nothing Jon Stewart has done in his career has been dumb,well except "Death to Smoochy" which I hate to admit I worked on as well. :ph34r:

Edited by ajoker2c

Not 'dumb' humour, simple humour. Nothing Jon Stewart does has been dumb,well except "Death to Smoochy" which I hate to admit I worked on as well. :ph34r:

Never saw it but liked his cameo in Half Baked--Now there is a movie to be proud of! Of course, I really admire him for doing Rosewater and think doing it was an incredibly insightful and meaningful gesture...That said, I haven't seen it yet.

Not 'dumb' humour, simple humour. Nothing Jon Stewart does has been dumb,well except "Death to Smoochy" which I hate to admit I worked on as well. :ph34r:

Never saw it but liked his cameo in Half Baked--Now there is a movie to be proud of! Of course, I really admire him for doing Rosewater and think doing it was an incredibly insightful and meaningful gesture...That said, I haven't seen it yet.

I worked a few days on Half baked and more impressed with Chappelle at that time. Rosewater is worth the watch, Stewart did a very good job of directing and telling the story that needed to be told.

I worked a few days on Half baked and more impressed with Chappelle at that time.

I normally don't like sophomoric humor but that movie always cracks me up and I've must've seen it more than a dozen times. "Scientist, I know this isn't your responsibility but mop this shit up." Priceless! :D

Edited by Zen Traveler
  • Like 1

As a Canadian, I'm already a minority and have been ok with it.... :P

he disarmed most analysts with dumb humor.

Not 'dumb' humour, simple humour. Nothing Jon Stewart has done in his career has been dumb,well except "Death to Smoochy" which I hate to admit I worked on as well. :ph34r:

Dumb humor.

Political humor can cause changes (smart), or it can be benign and harmless (dumb). JS was the harmless type, which is dumb because there's no meaning. Like junk food. There was no commitment, no sincerity to it. He loved and revered the people he pretended to skewer. He was not a gunslinger of a comedian just a buffoon.

For example, would George Carlin sit and make nice with people representing things he hates? JS loved everyone, which made his humor pointless. He brought and embraced wealthy WASP values to his audience.

here was no commitment, no sincerity to it. He loved and revered the people he pretended to skewer. He was not a gunslinger of a comedian just a buffoon.

I can't argue against one person's opinion, but what you say doesn't ring true to me. Of course, he had a ton of writers but to call it "dumb" and that he catered to the rich really is a stretch given what actually was exposed  and/or articulated during his run....

Edited by Zen Traveler
  • Like 1

Did you see him with the WH leaders of the 2001 to 2008 era? The people he was pretending to skewer with his humor? He sold more books for those people than Barnes and Noble!!! Lol he was making them rich as he pretended to poke fun at them. It's a book sales show. You know that, right? Lol!!!

The humor can be clever (good writers), but still be dumb. Smart humor would advance a cause, slow down an enemy. None of that on Daily Show. Loll!! Too busy seeking books!!! But he put wool over eyes of much of his audience!!! Lol

Edited by jo56steph74