Hottest TV Show Last Nite!

Jim Naseum

Did you see him with the WH leaders of the 2001 to 2008 era?

Okay. I may have misunderstood what you were saying but still don't agree with your premise--He skewered the political leaders of that era and I don't think he had any love for their policies. If you feel differently do you have any proof? I understand his show was great for book sales, but I don't think it was for the people you suggest.

That said, it appears we are in a minority on this forum. ;)

As a Canadian, I'm already a minority and have been ok with it.... :P

he disarmed most analysts with dumb humor.

Not 'dumb' humour, simple humour. Nothing Jon Stewart has done in his career has been dumb,well except "Death to Smoochy" which I hate to admit I worked on as well. :ph34r:

Dumb humor.

Political humor can cause changes (smart), or it can be benign and harmless (dumb). JS was the harmless type, 

JS loved everyone, which made his humor pointless. He brought and embraced wealthy WASP values to his audience.

can you provide an example of where smart political humour brought real change? 

I highly doubt Jon would have the incentive to bring "wealthy WASP values to anything., did you even watch the show or know anything about the man?

George Carlin did actually interact with opposing views of his all the time for references. Why do you think he could mock institutions and ideas he disagreed with so eloquently. <<<<he did his homework, another trait that made Stewart unavoidable for people he mocked to gravitate to be interviewed by him. Oh and book sales was the guests motivation, not Stewarts for his adversaries he interviewed. 

All in fun....lol

The Amazon site notes that proceeds from the book go to the military charities supported by the Rumsfeld Foundation. - See more at: http://www.dailyshowbooklist.com/books/page/2/#sthash.5ejMCDcx.dpuf

http://www.dailyshowbooklist.com/books/page/2/

There's no book by any of his pretend adversaries that he wouldn't pitch. Helping other millionaires politicians get richer promotes the interests of those he PRETENDED to mock. How much proof would a person need???? Lol!!! All in fun! He pulled such wool over so many gulable peeps!!

Okay--If that's your proof I will let others judge, but if that is all ya got then I suggest your link pretty much proves the opposite of your contention...Like I said, no doubt he sells books, but given Rumsfeld's proceeds went to charity (and did you see that interview?) and the others definitely weren't "WH leaders," during the time period you suggest I think your argument is going to fall short--WAY short.

Edited by Zen Traveler

Hmmmm? Assume you guys have seen the shows with Rice, Rumsfeld, Kristol and so many other of that clique,right???
1/ he promote their books (ergo,ideas)
2/ he defers to them in the live face to fsce
3/ he gives them a stage to his audience

Those three things are very beneficial to those people, who are after all public figure selling ideas!

Now, is that how you best your adversaries? By helping them? By spreading their ideas?

Of course not. So why do it? Surely you must know that answer? Or do you not know how the TV business works? Lol

Try to imagine what guests would be the polar opposites (and therefore working against these pretend adversaries he poking fun at) and ask yourself why they were not on his shoe selling their books??? Lol

Obvious I am presenting you a view point you are unfamiliar with, and you like him, so are not willing to analyze more broadly. Forget the silly superficial joke part of it, and consider the benefit and motives analysis. Took me a couple years to see it.

"No politicians were harmed during the filming of this show" lol!

big perspective here: http://www.businessinsider.com/condoleezza-rice-jon-stewart-iraq-war-was-justified-2011-11

Edited by jo56steph74

If only I could draw a circle..

Entertainment.. Media.. Publishers... Corporations... Politicians... Huge money flows.. Publicity....revolving doors.. The 1%.. Wealth protection... Politicians at each end And then back to entertainment at the start of the circle!!

Who and what is missing??? Lol!

Just fun..

Hmmmm? Assume you guys have seen the shows with Rice, Rumsfeld, Kristol and so many other of that clique,right???

1/ he promote their books (ergo,ideas)

2/ he defers to them in the live face to fsce

3/ he gives them a stage to his audience

Those three things are very beneficial to those people, who are after all public figure selling ideas!

Now, is that how you best your adversaries? By helping them? By spreading their ideas?

Of course not. So why do it? Surely you must know that answer? Or do you not know how the TV business works? Lol

Try to imagine what guests would be the polar opposites (and therefore working against these pretend adversaries he poking fun at) and ask yourself why they were not on his shoe selling their books??? Lol

Obvious I am presenting you a view point you are unfamiliar with, and you like him, so are not willing to analyze more broadly. Forget the silly superficial joke part of it, and consider the benefit and motives analysis. Took me a couple years to see it.

"No politicians were harmed during the filming of this show" lol!

big perspective here: http://www.businessinsider.com/condoleezza-rice-jon-stewart-iraq-war-was-justified-2011-11

The very first question he asked Rumsfeld was, "Why did you lie about why we went into Iraq?". In fact, they spent the ENTIRE interview on that ONE topic simply because Rummy kept trying to dodge the question and *refused* to either accept responsibility or feign incompetence.

Kristol is Kristol, as linear a thinker you'll ever find.

Rice interview was an educational one that brought the mindset of the Bush administration. 

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/extended-interviews/gul4pe/condoleezza-rice-extended-interview

"Or do you not know how the TV business works? Lol"

​I did stand up comedy for many years, worked tv and film for 20yrs on production side, hence sat in on hundreds of production meetings.

I well versed in how the entertainment industry works, both in front of, and behind the camera.

My opinions (not trying to persuade or change a perception, I recognize futility when it's staring me in the face) come from the inside looking out. If you have an IMDB page the length of mine then I'll bow to the knowledge base that forms the opinion..

People who think politics is ruthless never set foot in the entertainment industry.

Being interviewed by Stewart became unavoidable, profiting from it was a nice benefit to being confronted by a well prepared difference of opinion. Even some of the left wing interviews were not all 'softball questions'.

Entertainment.. Media.. Publishers... Corporations... Politicians... Huge money flows.. Publicity....revolving doors.. The 1%.. Wealth protection... Politicians at each end And then back to entertainment at the start of the circle!!

Just fun..

That's how I perceive Murdoch , Roger Ailles and Fox along with the Kochs, but I'm Canadian, so what do I know....just for fun 

Obvious I am presenting you a view point you are unfamiliar with, and you like him, so are not willing to analyze more broadly. Forget the silly superficial joke part of it, and consider the benefit and motives analysis.

I saw this response and was going to let my observations stand given his link proved my point...I also agree with ajoker2u insofar as how those that the OP referred to fared. Of course they were there to sell their books, but those seeing the interviews didn't have their opinions changed and in fact probably bolstered their views....

For the record, anyone witnessing the exchanges between Bill O'Reilly and Jon Stewart on either of their shows came away appreciating how good of entertainers both were and even the formers audience walked away thinking Jon was the victor. That said, I feel Jon Stewart is every bit as progressive as he portrays himself, but think Bill is conservative along the lines of Donald Trump, imo.

Edited by Zen Traveler

JS was on "CBS Sunday Morning" today. ironically, he talked about rumsfeld interview with mo roccA.

pasted from cbs news----

And then there was the interview with former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld. Stewart believes he let Rumsfeld off too easy during this exchange about the 2003 invasion of Iraq:

STEWART: "In the effort that it took to sell us this . . . "

Stewart recalled the exchange with Rumsfeld: "You were selling it. You presented the positives. You didn't present the negatives. You present -- '"RUMSFELD: "That's a little strong."
STEWART: "'Sell'? Let me back up: In the effort it took the administration to . . . present?"

"'Presented our case.'

"'Okay, fine.' And then I moved on. I should have just stayed there. I lost a lot of sleep on that one. He didn't!"

---------------------------

deference to authority is the JS story on the Daily Show. he never once had the cajones to say to someone's face what he'd say about them when they were NOT on the show. that's a very, very bad sign of weakness. 

Just fun..

That's how I perceive Murdoch , Roger Ailles and Fox along with the Kochs, but I'm Canadian, so what do I know....just for fun 

but it's NOT just fox, its every TV station and network in the nation. they are way too deep in the cycle above to allow anyone to really upset the apple cart (you know, the one carrying all the MONEY). 

JS was on "CBS Sunday Morning" today. ironically, he talked about rumsfeld interview with mo roccA.

I don't know if he was on CBS Sunday Morning today," but your Rumsfeld link came from November 9, 2014: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/jon-stewart-on-politics-family-and-rosewater/ and your contention that he played nice with "the people who were in the WH from 2001 to 2008 so they could make a ton of money selling books" still isn't substantiated by anything you've posted...If Rumsfeld is all you have,  remember his money went to a Veterans charity for that book.

That said, man that john Stewart was tough on the Obama White house! :o

Edited by Zen Traveler

but it's NOT just fox, its every TV station and network in the nation. they are way too deep in the cycle above to allow anyone to really upset the apple cart (you know, the one carrying all the MONEY).

I can't argue that the Media is helping people's understanding of the issues, but It IS their "apple cart" and this election they will be raking in the cash!  I suggest folks read between the lines, follow the Policymakers and weed out commentary from fact...How do you like those apples? ;)

Edited by Zen Traveler

I don't know if he was on CBS Sunday Morning today," but your Rumsfeld link came from November 9, 2014: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/jon-stewart-on-politics-family-and-rosewater/ and your contention that he played nice with "the people who were in the WH from 2001 to 2008 so they could make a ton of money selling books" still isn't substantiated by anything you've posted...If Rumsfeld is all you have,  remember his money went to a Veterans charity for that book.

That said, man that john Stewart was tough on the Obama White house! :o

Yes, he was on CBS this morning. I watched it! I probably fished up the wrong link! Point remains, he caved to rumsfelds authority, and was a chicken plucker. Folded like a cheap suit. Why? Because he isn't operating on principle, he's just being another media entertainer who would not date rock the boat.

I'm not sure why anyone would be impressed by him?? I guess because he tells snide insults when his targets can't talk back?

His TV show is nothing but a big promotional circle jerk. He wouldn't dare cross up a publisher or powerful bureaucrat author.

I do realize he has lots of fans though.

I do realize he has lots of fans though.

As I mentioned earlier, I like him but haven't watched in over a year when I couldn't stream him for free online...That said, you appear to have started this thread to get things off your chest and everyone has an opinion...

Edited by Zen Traveler

one of the most clever illusionists ever. he disarmed most analysts with dumb humor.

Btw, humor is in the eyes of the beholder and he disarmed more than analysts. He was an entertainer who was allowed to pursue his goals and evidently a hard worker to achieve them--Something to be said for that. Otoh, I feel talk radio personalities have it easy compared to what he did and maybe I'll start a thread on Rush's last day.  B)

Edited by Zen Traveler

Opinions are like assholes...everyone thinks it's just their own that doesn't stink. ;)

Jon was not on CBS this morning. it was a Nov interview he did at last minute with his good friend Mo. 

"I lost a lot of sleep on that one. He didn't!"

Not a sentence a corporate ***** you're claiming him to be would say being upset he didn't force elaboration from Rumsfeld.

You really need to cherrypick with a little more thought,  to fit your narrative of a corporate shill and lackey.