Xilica XP-8040 processor

NBPK402

Well, a guess that vindicates the Xilica...bummer on the Yamaha, however. 

It's nice that Xilica tech support helped you out finding the issue.  That's something.

Chris

Yes they were very helpful. When they had me try swapping the inputs the problem followed the bad channel so we swapped the outputs and it also followed. I am trying to find out if I might be lucky, and it is a fuse. If it is not a fuse I will have to have it fixed, but I might just sell it after it is fixed, and go with some other amp for 10 channels.

I decided to buy 2 Crest CM2080 amps (200wpc x8 each) to replace all of my amps except the sub amp which i might sell later for one that is designed to go down to 5hz, and has DSP built in since the Xilica can't go below 20hz.

• 2 months later...

I am going to be selling my Xilica XP4080 if anyone is interested. I am selling it because MiniDSP offered a firmware update to my Dirac DDRC-88A to give it a builtin crossover. This means I have one less DA, and a lot less cables in my rack. It was purchased brand new last year from an Authorized Dealer, and I will include the Sales Receipt.

Edited by ellisr63

The -18db on the processor output doesn't sound right at all.  You need to get full resolution through that processor and instead turn down the gains on the amps to compensate for big differences in efficiencies.

Please tell me your amps have gain controls.  :)

I totally agree with this. I just got my first pre pro (having been a cheapskate AV receiver guy by necessity for years). It's "last years" Yamaha. I didn't get the companion 11 channel power amp, but instead buying class A/B pro amps with no fans and with Attenuation controls.

Taking a systems approach, working backwards from 112 db/w horns, you need to turn down the power amps and get the max output from digital Xovers so you are into the "high bit signals" and out of the "low bit noise."

I decided to buy 2 Crest CM2080 amps (200wpc x8 each) to replace all of my amps except the sub amp which i might sell later for one that is designed to go down to 5hz, and has DSP built in since the Xilica can't go below 20hz.

You might want to get a Crown K2, which is what I use on my subs. It has a high pass filter at 8 Hz. It's a bit low, I know, but I never had an issue with my twin DTS-10's and a Subwoofer torture test with that combination. I used the very beginning of "Edge of Tomorrow" Blue Ray with Tom Cruise. If your drivers don't bottom out with that at normal listening level, then you are ready for anything else out there. Yes, the clip lights do come on a bit, but that's OK.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

I am going to be selling my Xilica XP4080 if anyone is interested. I am selling it because MiniDSP offered a firmware update to my Dirac DDRC-88A to give it a builtin crossover. This means I have one less DA, and a lot less cables in my rack. It was purchased brand new last year from an Authorized Dealer, and I will include the Sales Receipt.

I run a 4080, and might be interested in another.  Shoot me a PM with your asking price.  Thanks.

You might want to get a Crown K2, which is what I use on my subs. It has a high pass filter at 8 Hz. It's a bit low, I know, but I never had an issue with my twin DTS-10's and a Subwoofer torture test with that combination. I used the very beginning of "Edge of Tomorrow" Blue Ray with Tom Cruise. If your drivers don't bottom out with that at normal listening level, then you are ready for anything else out there. Yes, the clip lights do come on a bit, but that's OK.

Thanks Claude, but I use the Yamaha P7500S for my subs...750wpc. If i ever get another pair of DTS-10s.. I will look at another Yamaha P7500S or see if anyone makes an even larger amp in my price range.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...