beginner system for kids?

Stupid question I know. Just wondering if anybody buys quality stereo systems for their kids. My son is starting to get into it, got really bummed out that I took an older Sony system to Goodwill the other day. Wondering if a music app on his tablet plus that little Emotiva amp and some decent bookshelves would be proper for a while. Ideally I'd have two Heresy's in his room but that might be a little while.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 3

Both my kids are into music and have good systems, but it is composed of older stuff I wasn't currently using. My son (guitar player) has my old KEF speakers from my college days, and an old Sony ES series receiver. He runs his computer into it through an inexpensive Behringer unit. My daughter (piano and trombone) is a bit more lucky, she has a pair of Klipsch KP series speakers, an old HK amp, and does the computer thing same as my son. The only thing I had to buy was the 2 Behringer units ($25 each?).  :)

I put together a black face Sansui AU/TU with JBL monitors for the kiddos to use in the game room for tunes and game systems audio. I even had RadioX Tuners work the tuner so they could get "their" FM station. It sits un-used; they never cared to use it.

At 11...I had an Aiwa NSX-AJ20 that I bought myself for my birthday. Before that, I had a GE boom box. It's worth noting that the Aiwa survived until last year, when it was replaced in the master bedroom by a Marantz NR1401 and a pair of RF-3 IIs.

• Moderators

Sounds like a good plan, you could always change out the speakers later. Using the tablet will put him in control and he would be able to listen to many different kinds of music, he would probably love it. Good idea

http://www.parts-express.com/overnight-sensations-mt-speaker-kit-pair--300-706

Would those sound good in a kid's bedroom?  Might be a cool father / son project.  

I don't think they will sound "bad"

I think the time you guys spend together doing that will last a life time.

I still remember doing some projects with my dad it was great.... gets me all warm thinking about those times..

MKP :-)

Start with Heresys and a Dayton T-amp and his audio future will thrive. 

I'd like to get to the point of having Heresy's but keep thinking that's like buying him a new Vette on his 16th birthday, you don't have a whole lot to upgrade up to at that point.  He's only 6, not sure he would appreciate it at this point.  I thought those Overnight Sensations might be neat as they are small, cheap, plus he can learn something and upgrade to something nicer later on.  Plus the bass won't keep us up at night. :)  Sometimes I go to sleep before he does.  The bass might be a little too weak though.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

A guy bought a pair of KG .5s from me and planned on using them with a Dayton "something or other" mini amp as his son's first iPad hi-fi.

So yeah, maybe a small KG bookshelf or third gen RF bookshelf such as RB-15.

Edited by mattSER

yeah i say some kg series of some sort if you wanted to buy instead of build. but the overnights, i heard, are great little speakers. build the dual woofer one. they are a little more but would have a little extra oomph. i think heresy is way too much for 6 years old. make him buy his own stuff. save up for a great deal on something used. i bought all my home theater products. when i was 13 years old i had a sony 5.1 receiver with a 200 disc cd player a full 5.0 pioneer set of speakers and a 12" velodyne sub. payed for it all brand new myself. spent all my heard earned mowing and baseball money on it. probably paid 1700$ for all of it. but i chose home audio then over a go kart or four wheeler or even saving for a car. but i took good care of all of it and actually gave it all to my brother before i left for the military. he uses all the speakers to this day in his home theater.