For Sale Klipsch LaScala ll, $2900

Mdud

post-48548-0-17200000-1439414189_thumb.j For sale is my pair of LaScala ll in Walnut finish. They are 2 years old, in excellent condition. They are sequential serial #'s and top and bottom cabinet #'s match.They have been driven by 8 watt tube amps since I purchased them, never abused. There is one tiny corner ding on the left front of one speaker, and one scratch under the top driver cabinet of the other speaker, not visible when assembled. Other than that, they are factory perfect. I have all the boxes and packing they came in, along with the owners manuals. They were purchased from an authorized dealer and were built to order as all the Heritage line are. Reason for sale is that I simply don't have the room to make them sound their best, and have moved on to another set of speakers. No issues with performance at all, no other flaws or concerns. Price is now $2900 for the pair, shipping included. Buyer pays PayPal fees,  or buyer can pay with cashiers check. No cash sale. More pictures available on request, serious inquiries only please, thanks.

post-48548-0-13880000-1440941787_thumb.j

post-48548-0-36120000-1440941804_thumb.j

post-48548-0-02680000-1440941818_thumb.j

Edited by Mdud
  • Like 1

Thanks for the nice comments on the speakers. I wasn't sure about the walnut finish, seems everyone wants black or cherry. But when they arrived I knew they were the right choice of finish, very nice in pictures and in person. Glad to know at least some other folks like the walnut look too

• 2 weeks later...

I've got walnut La Scala IIs, and they look great.  They also match the walnut Belle between them.

My avatar is the right channel one.  It has a K510/K-69 Jubilee tweeter on top, so it's now a bi-amped 2-way 510 JubScala II, instead of a 3-way La Scala II.  Sounded good before, sounds great now.

Here's a bigger picture.  The black steel tweeter stand is meant to be bolted to the cabinet.  I didn't want to do that, so I had sub-stands made up out of 3/4" Plexiglas.  They sit on rubber knobs, and the added mass helps isolate the tweeters from the cabinet assembly.

post-21606-0-50100000-1440893579_thumb.j

Edited by Islander

Hey all, thanks for the nice comments about my speakers  :)  The walnut finish is my favorite on any of the Heritage speakers, just looks good to me.

The tiger tapestry is pretty too, sorry it's not for sale but I appreciate the comment!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a bigger picture.  The black steel tweeter stand is meant to be bolted to the cabinet.  I didn't want to do that, so I had sub-stands made up out of 3/4" Plexiglas.  They sit on rubber knobs, and the added mass helps isolate the tweeters from the cabinet assembly.

Since the LS II comes in two parts, why not simply remove the top bin and place the new horn on top of the bass bin?

I didn't put the tweeters on the bass bins for a couple of reasons.  First, the LS II looks really good as a complete assembly, and would look funny with the small horn sitting on the bass cube.

More importantly, I like the effect of the extra height.  The LS II bass bins are just 25-3/4"/66 cm. tall, so putting the K510 tweeters directly on them places the tweeters at barely ear height when my listening chair is reclined.  "Tweeters at ear height" is an old rule of thumb, but for me it makes it sound like the musicians are sitting down in front of you, not standing on stage.  That's okay for folk guitar and the like, but not for bands or orchestras.

I noticed that effect when I set up the original JubScalas.  I had considered modifying the front panels of the speakers to accept the 510 horns, so they'd look sort of stock, but I put the tweeters on top at first to check out the sound.  I liked what I heard, so they stayed that way.  The La Scala IIs are 4"/10 cm. taller than the early La Scalas, and the extra height gives an even bigger, more realistic sound.

Having the tweeters at ear height makes sense for movies and videos, since the sound is tied to the screen, but for listening to music alone, the taller sound is the better sound, to me at least.

On a related note, Khorns are 52 inches tall.  That height may help to give them the big sound they're famous for.

Apart from considerations of looks and sound, the LS II HF cabinets are big, even bigger if they're inside their shipping boxes.  Instead of having to find space to store them, since they're not being used, it seemed simplest to "store" them on top of the bass bins.  Besides, having a couple of beautifully-finished walnut boxes that match the two working boxes upgrades the appearance of the living room.

That's my story, anyway.

• Like 3