For Sale Klipsch LaScala ll, $2900

Mdud

I didn't put the tweeters on the bass bins for a couple of reasons.  First, the LS II looks really good as a complete assembly, and would look funny with the small horn sitting on the bass cube.

More importantly, I like the effect of the extra height.  The LS II bass bins are just 25-3/4"/66 cm. tall, so putting the K510 tweeters directly on them places the tweeters at barely ear height when my listening chair is reclined.  "Tweeters at ear height" is an old rule of thumb, but for me it makes it sound like the musicians are sitting down in front of you, not standing on stage.  That's okay for folk guitar and the like, but not for bands or orchestras.

I noticed that effect when I set up the original JubScalas.  I had considered modifying the front panels of the speakers to accept the 510 horns, so they'd look sort of stock, but I put the tweeters on top at first to check out the sound.  I liked what I heard, so they stayed that way.  The La Scala IIs are 4"/10 cm. taller than the early La Scalas, and the extra height gives an even bigger, more realistic sound.

Having the tweeters at ear height makes sense for movies and videos, since the sound is tied to the screen, but for listening to music alone, the taller sound is the better sound, to me at least.

On a related note, Khorns are 52 inches tall.  That height may help to give them the big sound they're famous for.

Apart from considerations of looks and sound, the LS II HF cabinets are big, even bigger if they're inside their shipping boxes.  Instead of having to find space to store them, since they're not being used, it seemed simplest to "store" them on top of the bass bins.  Besides, having a couple of beautifully-finished walnut boxes that match the two working boxes upgrades the appearance of the living room.

That's my story, anyway.

So you're still running them as a three way with the tweet in the hf section?

What are you using for an XO and 510 driver?

No, Schu, I'm running them in 2-way bi-amped configuration.  Nearly all Jubilees and JubScalas are like that.

The whole HF section, squawker, tweeter and crossover, is disconnected, since the Jubilee tweeter replaces the K-55V and the K-77.

The 510 horns are driven by K-69A drivers.  Instead of the stock passive crossover, I'm using an Electro-Voice Dx38 active electronic processor, which has delay units to allow for time-alignment of the woofers and tweeters, as well as providing far more precise EQing and voicing than would be possible with passive crossovers.

I thought this would be old news, since it was set up back in 2008.  The only change since then was to replace the original La Scalas with La Scala IIs in 2013.  The settings are the same, so it was just a matter of sliding out the old Scalas from under the 510/K-69 tweeters and sliding in the La Scala IIs.

Congrats to Mdud and Schu!

Others will disagree, but If I had a Garage Sale thread, I'd welcome extraneous chatter, especially when one of the interrupters becomes the buyer.

What I wouldn't want is silence, which leads to a buried thread. A digression is a bump. It's all good to me. YMMV.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 4

I think chatter is good... nay, positive.

What isn't good is product bashing and pricing sabotage.

talking about modifications a good experiences is nothing but enhancing.... imho

Speaking of Modifications... I have already begun squirreling away mods for these speakers... can't leave well enough alone I suppose when there are gains to be made. :P

Edited by Schu
  • Like 2

Well thank you all again for the nice comments and the thread discussions, didn't hurt my sale at all. Sounds like Schu is going to be happy with these even if he can't leave well enough alone :) Schu, they will be on the way soon..

Mdud

• Like 1