For Sale Klipsch LaScala ll, $2900

Mdud

Well, this may or may not be of help, but thought I would share my experience with a damaged piece of audio gear that came through UPS, how I documented it, and the (positive, claim paid) results.

This was a vintage Marantz receiver, with a wooden case.

Photos taken of the unit prior to shipping, date stamped.

Photos taken of the box after packing, date stamped.

Photos taken of the box with shipping label and tracking number attached, date stamped.

Upon receipt:

Photos taken of the box with shipping label and tracking number attached, date stamped, with damaged areas clearly specified.

Photos taken of the box after opening, unit still inside, date stamped, clearly showing packing materials and method.

Photos taken of the unit after removal from the box, date stamped, clearly showing damaged areas.

Blue painters tape then attached to the box, and the unit, in each of the damaged areas, with a big, black arrow pointing to the damage (making it as simple as possible for them)

All photos were printed and were made available to UPS when they eventually came to collect the unit for inspection.

Unit was re-packed in the box, in the exact same way it was received.

Multiple estimates were then gathered via numerous sources for both repair and full replacement.  These were all documented and printed and provided to UPS.

The unit was collected by a driver, who gave me the number of the local office and the person's who would be doing the inspection.  He encouraged me to call and talk to them.

I did call and spoke to them, and offered to answer any questions they might have, and asked them to keep me posted on the progress of the inspection and the claim.

Less than 24 hours after the unit was collected, I was called by the local office and informed that they were going to approve the claim in full, which was basically a complete replacement.

I will say this....I tried to be as nice and cordial as possible with everyone I spoke with, realizing that this damage was likely NOT caused by any of them, it could have happened anywhere along the chain.  I believe this to be a company cultural issue that they need to address with additional training, etc, not necessarily a specific personnel issue.  Just food for thought....

YMMV

• Like 1

Just seeing this now. Incredible that they could do this much damage short of having a single 98lb weakling moving and dropping them. It is the shipping company's obligation under the contract to perform the pickup, move and delivery in a good and workman like manner.

Apparently UPS did not do so here!

Just seeing this now. Incredible that they could do this much damage short of having a single 98lb weakling moving and dropping them. It is the shipping company's obligation under the contract to perform the pickup, move and delivery in a good and workman like manner.

Apparently UPS did not do so here!

There is so much damage, and in so many locations, that it's hard to see it as accidental, or mere negligence.  It looks more to me like some resentful worker, who feels underpaid and unappreciated, decided to take out his frustrations on what appeared to him to be some rich guy's undeserved and unearned toys.

There was clearly no thought of what we actually have to sacrifice to afford these objects of our passion, or that not every body who has big speakers has a big income.

• Like 1

I hate to think that someone purposely did the damages... my mind doesn't work that way. But the fact remains the damages are comprehensive and irreversible in as far as that one front outter doghouse wall. Anything else might be negotiated given the right circumstances, but that area is horrific.

On top of everything, there is still a missing HF section...

Why on earth was UPS used for these ?

They should have been strapped to pallets and freighted .

That was the sellers decision.

I did bring up the topic of using pallets, but it's the sellers choice to ship in a way that they see befitting for the item, especially as they assume ultimate responsibility.

Edited by Schu

Here's the story of my LS II acquisition expedition.  I brought my La Scala IIs home in my old Grand Caravan, with the middle seats removed.  Those four big boxes really filled up the van.

There was the 90-minute ferry trip to and from the mainland (plus waiting, after arriving early to be sure of getting on), the listening test and visual inspection to be sure they sounded and looked as good as they were described to be (they sure did), and the much-appreciated assistance of a strong neighbour to help carry everything downstairs after they were boxed up.  Add in the drives to the ferry docks from my place, from the mainland docks to the seller's place (he was also a forum member), and back, about half an hour for each bit of driving, and it was an all-day quest. 

By the next afternoon, the speakers were unboxed, in place, and making music.  It took a couple more days to get stands for the old La Scalas, and a bit of time to get them on the stands single-handed.  Since the old speakers are behind the sofa and armchair doing surround left and right duty, the stands are mostly hidden.  I used black folding step stools, 13.5"/35 cm. tall, rated at 300 lbs. max load apiece, and used 4 stools per speaker for maximum stability.  The "feet" on the step stools gently penetrate the carpet, so the speakers might as well be on spikes.  There is no hint of movement if you try to give them a little jiggle.

I recommend the all-La Scala surround setup if it can be managed.  I'm not quite there.  The Belle centre makes a better TV stand than a Scala, and the rear centre has been the second Belle, but is now a Heresy III, since there is a baseboard heater right where the big speaker would sit.  The H-3 is on a tall box, to keep it away from the heater.  Close enough for rock and roll.

still no resolution here. there is still a missing HF section and no one has contacted me from UPS to pick up the speakers.

I have requested my payment returned but have only been told by Tim, the seller, that I need to wait until there is a UPS decision... and that is not really acceptable because I am not at fault in way shape or manner.

still no resolution here. there is still a missing HF section and no one has contacted me from UPS to pick up the speakers.

I have requested my payment returned but have only been told by Tim, the seller, that I need to wait until there is a UPS decision... and that is not really acceptable because I am not at fault in way shape or manner.

That's a load of crap. Who would ship those like that? What if the claim is rejected for poor packaging? I would demand for my money to be returned immediately This is the sellers fault and it's their job to get their money back from the shipper. Can you say Bullshit on this forum?

Final top section FINALLY arrived last night.... I have not even opened it because at this point it doesn't even matter. the chances that it is in as bad of a condition as the rest of the set up is very high anyway.

still no contact with the seller.

Any respectable cabinetmaker could repair these to like new condition without much difficulty.

Question is price and if its worthwhile to do the needed repairs.

Just a dam shame it happened in the first place, should have been crated on a pallet.

• Like 2

Final top section FINALLY arrived last night.... I have not even opened it because at this point it doesn't even matter. the chances that it is in as bad of a condition as the rest of the set up is very high anyway.

I would initiate a conflict through Paypal. That might show the seller how serious you are and get him to communicate with you.  If UPS takes over 30 days to make a decision then you may be out of luck with Paypal.

I would initiate a conflict through Paypal. That might show the seller how serious you are and get him to communicate with you.  If UPS takes over 30 days to make a decision then you may be out of luck with Paypal.

Think Pay Pal upped the time to 180 Days now