How does the internet work anyway? Right now I can visit here but nowhere else.

JL Sargent

So my internet connection is wonky for some reason. It only works here and nowhere else. Never had this problem before. It either worked or it didn't. Now my access seems to be the first site and I go to and that is it. How does it work anyway? How do all those servers shake hands and get all these people where they want to go?

• Like 1

So my internet connection is wonky for some reason. It only works here and nowhere else. Never had this problem before. It either worked or it didn't. Now my access seems to be the first site and I go to and that is it. How does it work anyway? How do all those servers shake hands and get all these people where they want to go?

Some days "And believe me I have them", You just gotta Bow Down to the 0 and 1 GODS

• Like 1

Have you run a full virus scan?  Do you clean up your machine regularly?  Seriously, with what you are describing, I would do that first and rule out any kind of infection or malware.

• Like 1

After your ISP resets your connection and doesn't see a problem from their end, power down all your network gear. Power it pack up after a few minutes, routers first, then switches. After everything is rebooted if it is still wonky, log into your router and make sure your settings are correct, no dupe IPs if your static routed, have a DNS source and do a DHCP release/renew.

If it's still acting up after that check for cabling issues.

Forgot to ask, wired issue or wireless issue?

Both. Its really weird. I'm suspecting the DSLAM or similar problem on their end. That's just based on the fact that I don't think I'm loosing snyc at all. I've lost my ability to change web pages???

Example: I can go to the forums here and look around all I want but if I redirect to Yahoo.com "server not found" is the message I get. Unplug my router, wait for resync, I can go on to Yahoo.com.

Cannot access Amazon Prime with the TV "service not available".

My son's Xbox One will not sign on.

You get the idea.

Sounding more like some dorky DNS stuff. You may want to make sure your router is configured with an alternate DNS server. If you only specified one then when it's dorked so are you.

I've had broadband since I can remember, don't really know squit about DSL.

Good luck JL!

ATT tech just left and my twisted pair was bad, also two bird nests in the cross box (12,000 ft away), and lastly my modem had crapped out. My signal to noise ratio now a whopping 28 db. Right now I have the best internet service ever. 

• Like 2