Where to Place a Third RSW-15 Subwoofer in My HT

Youthman

• Moderators

Figured while I have the RSW-15 opened up, I thought I would share some photos of the beastly woofer.

klipsch-rsw-15-woofer-1.jpg

klipsch-rsw-15-woofer-2.jpg

klipsch-rsw-15-woofer-3.jpg

Here is a shot of the amp attached to the middle bracing

klipsch-rsw-15-woofer-4.jpg

My Nikon wouldn't fit inside the woofer so this is a shot of the passive using my iPhone.

klipsch-rsw-15-woofer-5.jpg

• Like 2

Problem is I cannot get to the RCA jacks because they are inside that black casing

Yea but what about the solder joints on the bottom of the PCB under the black case. I would think that is where they're connected. How do they look? Any cracks?

• Moderators
Yea but what about the solder joints on the bottom of the PCB under the black case. I would think that is where they're connected. How do they look? Any cracks?

Honestly, that is beyond my area of understanding.  Adam is on his way over now to take a look at it.  He says it looks like the control module was worked on before due to the brownish color underneath the board (forgot what he called it).

Honestly, that is beyond my area of understanding.  Adam is on his way over now to take a look at it.  He says it looks like the control module was worked on before due to the brownish color underneath the board (forgot what he called it).

It's all good. Sounds like you have the right guy coming to look at it. Was the word "flux"? It is not uncommon on consumer stuff that the flux doesn't get cleaned off right from the factory.

Figured while I have the RSW-15 opened up, I thought I would share some photos of the beastly woofer.

klipsch-rsw-15-woofer-1.jpg

klipsch-rsw-15-woofer-2.jpg

klipsch-rsw-15-woofer-3.jpg

Here is a shot of the amp attached to the middle bracing

klipsch-rsw-15-woofer-4.jpg

My Nikon wouldn't fit inside the woofer so this is a shot of the passive using my iPhone.

klipsch-rsw-15-woofer-5.jpg

Holy cow! That is stout looking. What'd you figure that driver weighs?

• Moderators
You should place the rsw-15's in the garage sale section and get some horn subs. B)

Honestly that thought has seriously crossed my mind. 

It's all good. Sounds like you have the right guy coming to look at it.

Yes, he is SUPER knowledgeable in the area of electronic repair.  I'll share what we found in a moment.

Was the word "flux"? It is not uncommon on consumer stuff that the flux doesn't get cleaned off right from the factory.

Yes, that was the word.  He still felt it may have been worked on before but you may be correct.  Not sure.

Holy cow! That is stout looking. What'd you figure that driver weighs?

Total guess but maybe 30lbs?

• Moderators

Ok, so Adam came by and I shared with him what was happening.  With the sub plugged in and no RCA connected, there is zero hum.  If I plug in my phone or a DVD via RCA, the RSW-15 produces a significant hum and no bass.  The only way to get bass was to push in on the Red RCA (loose or broken connection inside).

He put a scope on the sub and after several adjustments and running a sine wave into the sub from an app on his phone, he said he didn't see any distortion in the sub (Great news).

He pulled up the board schematic on his tablet and looked at the RCA terminals.  He said they were both on the same circuit (not his exact words).  Basically he was saying they are connected in the same path.  This means that you can use either the RCA In or the RCA Out to connect a source to.  That doesn't make sense to me because you would think In means in and Out means out but it did just as he said.  We connected a DVD Player via RCA to the Out on the RSW-15 and BAM!  It sounds perfect and ZERO hum!  I can totally live with that.  No "repair" was necessary.  It would have been a pain to replace the speaker terminal. 

I bet when I tested it at the seller's house, I must have inadvertently plugged in my phone to the Out instead of the In because it sounded perfect when I demoed it.

Adam says the seller probably had the RCA plugged in and lifted the sub upwards and when he did, it put stress on the terminal and damaged or broke the RCA Jack internally. 

I asked him how much do I owe him and he said "How about $30" (Told you he was super cheap).  I was glad to give him $40. 

• Moderators

Yes that is correct. I just assumed to be able to Daisey chained you would need to plug the RCA Out on the first sub and RCA In on the second. Apparently it doesn't matter. You can use either.

I'm not sure where he got the schematic. He said he cand email me that and the manual if I wanted them. I'll PM you when he sends it

• 1 year later...

I have my panel and amp out on my RSW 15 and sent to Edwards Electronics.  What do you think Klipsch used for the adhesive on the panel?  I want to use the same stuff when I re-install the panel. I had a tuff time getting the panel off, but finally did using a putty knife.