Retirement Project: Regional Musical Heritage Center

Mallette

Well, cunning and clever plan or not I am realizing the amount of work required over the next couple of years.  It IS a dream and to realize it I've got to master areas in which I have little or no experience.  Must admit the PAW and I did a helluva job in learning urban real estate realities in about 14 days.  When we closed, our buyer's realtor who comes from a 100 year history family prominent in local real estate there and is a lawyer, said they've agree.  The PAW asked what the next step was and she replied "To get your real estate license so you can go to work for US!" 

She's seriously considering it.

For me, other than the advance planning you've seen, I am reading everything I can find on the subject matter to be featured, looking into to every foundation that provides grants or aid to such efforts, and beginning to consider a web site.  Probably start with an FB page, then link it to a web site.

Of course, as here is where I first announced it you folks will continue to be the first to know as things happen. 

Dave

Sounds like fun Dave. Good luck to you in your adventure.

Keith

Come see me, Keith.  We can get on the roof and get loud and nobody will call the police...  :D

Dave

I might just do that Dave. I've got kinfolk in Dallas so it's a possibility.

Keith

Still no dedicated Thebes Suite.  A nonstarter until you get rid of that artsy center and get a whole floor dedicated to moi. And really, only one parking space in the garage. Where are you guys going to park when I'm in town.?

Seriously, Dave you are a thrill I hope to meet someday.  Energy, passion, brains and vision.  Couldn't be happier for you and the Paw.  I wish you every best success to the continuance, or probably the beginning, of  a cultural Renaissance in Texarkana (motto: "We drawl  like we ave marbles in our mouths so Texas ends up sounding like...")

Thanks, Marty!  Plenty to joke about in Texarkana.  After all, it's where hillbillies and cowboys meet head on...laugh a minute! 

One of my ideas for a festival is a "CowBilly" Festival.  I mean, moonshine, fiddles, and polk salut on one side of the state line and Texas swing, BBQ armadillo, and guns on the other.

Something for everybody...

Dave

Great thread. Love to see someone living out their dream. Enjoy the journey. I also am fascinated with your passion for Boogie Woogie and it's ties to that area and the influences it has had on so many musical styles and artists. I think that is what will make your "museum' interesting for many. jimjimbo recommended a Marshall Tucker song for the "one song" suggestions for the Hope gathering.(Everyday I have the Blues). They introduce the song as a little "watermelon boogie woogie music". Just finished listening to it for the first time in several years! The influence is definitely there, just more with a guitar than piano. Still the best part is you are doing what you love, best of luck, but it doesn't sound like you will need luck.

Good thread!

Toasters are back ordered Brian but I am sending you a years collection of dryer lint :)

It makes excellent tinder starter material for the survival kit.  (or for starting the bbq  with a mag stick in a pinch)

Edited by oldtimer
  • Like 1