Dyeing Khorn Grills

ZEUS121996

So I picked up the 73 Ks on Sunday and a 84 LaScala. The Ks were reveneered in oak and after peeling away the veneer the cabs have a thick later of glue on them, question is I'm going to use steel wool with paint thinner, will the thinner have any effect and damage the W/O finish? I did a little test and it doesn't seem to have any effect. So most of the old veneer is mostly stripped, they are starting to look good

The grills were also dyed from their original bronze/brown to black and the grills need to be redyed. How do I dye the grills without getting the wood frames too wet and is RIT the best way to dye them?

TY

Mark

post-48599-0-49640000-1439935910_thumb.j

post-48599-0-74560000-1439935959_thumb.j

Edited by ZEUS121996
  • Like 1

The veneer just about peels off and the walnut looks great. The great news is that htey were stored in self-storage snd the heat started to break the glue down. Check it out

Can someone tell me what kind of crossovers these are?

TY

Mark

post-48599-0-53960000-1439936780_thumb.j

post-48599-0-98960000-1439936801_thumb.j

post-48599-0-44320000-1439936850_thumb.j

post-48599-0-33640000-1439936868_thumb.j

post-48599-0-86600000-1439936888_thumb.j

Edited by ZEUS121996

Wow, so there is walnut veneer under the oak? Cool. Personally I would prefer walnut anyway. But hey everybody's got there own tastes, its all good. Those crossovers look like modified AA(duh) type. Perhaps a previous owner replaced iron core inductors with air core? And replaced old PIO caps. Maybe try contacting DeanG or Bob Crites for their better than my opinions/knowledge. Or maybe one of them will chime in here.

I've got the oak (tiger oak?) pulled off 90% of one of them. I bought them under the impression they were WO, the tag says K-B-WO, serial 4L691 AND 4L692.

I cleaned just a small area with paint thinner and the grain is really good. there's a couple small gouges I need to repair, but I feel a little better about selling the Belles.

It looks like the owners changed a few things. The woofer isnt the square K-33, it's the round one and the horn doesn't look like an original K-55, but  a newer version along with the veneer being poorly done

Mark

The iron broke the glue down in a hurry, the veneer peeled right off.  Interesting, one of the cabs has a couple gouges and scratches and the other one looks great. Somewhere along the way, (I'm guessing the 80s) the owners decided that oak was fashionable and had them reveneered. They also dyed the grills black from their original bronze. I'll post some more pics when I take the excess glue off. The walnut underneath looks beautiful, I need to thank OPUS again, he went out of his way to help me pick these up, testing everything out and then loading them into the truck. Oh and helping me negotiating the price down a little bit from the original asking price

Mark

Take the oak off..... Even though I like the oak . I wonder if this was done at factory..hhmmmm. Should be able to heat it up with an clothes iron enough to peel oak off. Rick

The oak couldn't have been done at the factory. I can't imagine letting them go back out with the veneer job that was done

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...