RP-280F System Crossover HELP

busht4169

Hello fellow Klipsch lovers!  I just received my RP-280F 5.1 system in delivery!  I am so excited but could use some help on the crossover.  With the understanding that all rooms are different, and all personal preferences are different...what would be a good starting point for a crossover with this system?  Looking for good clean, yet powerful sound.  Sub to handle all the rumble stuff.  Don't like when low pitch male voices in movies/tv come through all speakers...hate that.  Enlcosed room with low reverb.  R115SW in the corner, and the 5 channels equal distance from listening area.  

Pioneer Elite SC-91

RP-280F Fronts

R115SW

R450C Center

RP-250S Surround

• Like 1

Busht4169,

Welcome to the forum.

With my family room system, I am getting the best results with all speakers set to small and my RF-63's set to 50Hz, RC-64 set to 60Hz, and RS-35's set to 80Hz.  I was getting low register male dialog out of my subwoofers and it was just wrong.  Set the RC-64 to 60Hz and my SB13 Plus low pass to 63Hz and voila.  Of course your settings may differ with different size speakers and room size.  Let your auto EQ determine the settings and then tweak as needed.

Bill

• Like 1

Always start with 80 hz from mains to subs which is the THX standard. Bump it down lower if you want the mains to handle more and subs to handle less. I didn't particularly like that sub playing up high so you may very well want to do this, but it does put more strain on the amp/receiver for your mains.

LFE is a bit different, it usually operates independently of the main to sub crossover. Seems that most people are bumping this up a little higher so they don't miss anything. 100 or even 120 isn't uncommon. 80 is the lowest you can usually set this.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

Agree on the 80 Hz XO for the sub.

For the rest of the speakers let MCACC Pro do the settings.  That should mean (generalizing) take the lowest spec on the speaker and add ten.  Since the 280 is listed at 32 Hz if I were setting XO points manually I would set it at 40 Hz.

The "low pitched male voice" will not come through all speakers if you are running in 5.1 mode (again generally speaking).  For TV watching male voice (in fact all voices) usually come out of the center speaker, with the mains carrying mostly music and some ambiance.  The only way you get male voice out of the L/R or the surrounds is if you are in Mono or All Speakers Stereo.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Lets see some pics (congrats )

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I will upload tomorrow once I unpack them.  The lady was really upset with all the boxes.  LOL.  "Look at what you did to our living room!!!"  (My house btw)  Anyway, look for the new setup tomorrow dude.  Have a good night.

Busht4169,

Welcome to the forum.

With my family room system, I am getting the best results with all speakers set to small and my RF-63's set to 50Hz, RC-64 set to 60Hz, and RS-35's set to 80Hz.  I was getting low register male dialog out of my subwoofers and it was just wrong.  Set the RC-64 to 60Hz and my SB13 Plus low pass to 63Hz and voila.  Of course your settings may differ with different size speakers and room size.  Let your auto EQ determine the settings and then tweak as needed.

Bill

Good tip, thank you for the response.  I will give it a shot and see.  It is a good starting point and I have enough exp. to calibrate beyond.  Thx again for responding.

Always start with 80 hz from mains to subs which is the THX standard. Bump it down lower if you want the mains to handle more and subs to handle less. I didn't particularly like that sub playing up high so you may very well want to do this, but it does put more strain on the amp/receiver for your mains.

LFE is a bit different, it usually operates independently of the main to sub crossover. Seems that most people are bumping this up a little higher so they don't miss anything. 100 or even 120 isn't uncommon. 80 is the lowest you can usually set this.

Thanks for the tip.  I have two great places to make a good start because of this forum.  What a great community!

Thanks for the tip. I have two great places to make a good start because of this forum. What a great community!

Welcome to the Forum. I answered your question on AVS and see you have recommendations running from 50 Hz to 100 Hz with everything in between. :) Imo, and given you have a good sub I would think 80 Hz would be best although 60 Hz could work as well. At some point you are going to be driven nuts comparing all of those settings. Good luck and welcome to the club!

• Like 1

The THX recommendations are for sealed speakers.  Although 80 Hz is commonly recommended, two things to consider:

1.) Set the xo 10-15 above the weakest speaker, example:

surround 58 Hz to 24kHz

mains 32 Hz to 25kHz

center 58 Hz to 25kHz

sub 18 Hz to 125 Hz

XO range 58 Hz to 125 Hz

2.) If a FR graph is done and there is a peak at 75 for example then setting the mains lower, 50-60 may get rid of the peak when running the system with a sub and speakers set to small

Note: defeat the sub XO by turning it all the way up or off.  The problem with voices coming from the sub has not been my experience with MCACC.

• Like 1

The problem with initially setting it based on stated frequency response is that this doesn't take into consideration the efficiency of your mains and receiver at that frequency.  For example I'm running RF-7ii's and have a pretty nice Marantz receiver.  I could potentially get away with crossing the mains over at 40 hz.  The problem though is that when cranking certain material (Metallica), I can hear them running out of gas.  It's the receiver more than the speakers, but still.  At high volume with strong kick drums and other effects, my sealed 18's with 3-4,000 watts running to them simply works better than my receiver trying to push the RF-7ii's as well as six other speakers.  It's perceivably cleaner and tighter just by listening but it's also measurable by volume, plus it doesn't run out of gas.  On other material though, especially at lower volume, I might prefer the full range sound of gunfire all around me, and crossing over lower would help with this.  

Also on the center, auto correction will often cross it over pretty low, but this also can introduce a boomy male voice.  But, crossing over higher may make voices come through the subs.  Positioning with the sub may help but if you like to run the sub real hot then that's a different story.  

So, more than the room, it depends on the material that you watch and the volume level you watch it at.  No higher than 80 and no lower than 50.  Otherwise there's no wrong answer, just depends on your preference.  You won't know what that is until you experiment.  Personally I find that 60 is a good compromise.  

• Like 1

The THX recommendations are for sealed speakers.  Although 80 Hz is commonly recommended, two things to consider:

1.) Set the xo 10-15 above the weakest speaker, example:

surround 58 Hz to 24kHz

mains 32 Hz to 25kHz

center 58 Hz to 25kHz

sub 18 Hz to 125 Hz

XO range 58 Hz to 125 Hz

2.) If a FR graph is done and there is a peak at 75 for example then setting the mains lower, 50-60 may get rid of the peak when running the system with a sub and speakers set to small

Note: defeat the sub XO by turning it all the way up or off.  The problem with voices coming from the sub has not been my experience with MCACC.

Great tip!  I also splurged and got a Dirac Processor and ran through frequency tests for about 2 hours.  You were close to right btw.  I had a peak at 71 Hz.  I was able to correct with the built in eq and more testing.  And to anyone else reading this forum, the R115SW sub is a monster!!  Holy crap.  Thank you to this whole forum and to all of you who jumped in to help.  

Thank you to the whole forum for your great input.  After using a Dirac Processor and an amp my buddy let me borrow (Marantz MM8077), I have everything tuned perfectly.  The Pioneer Elite has a great EQ manual mode I was able to use and now I have Klipsch tuned perfection!  As previously stated, the R-115SW is an absolute MONSTER!  If I want more, dial up, that simple.  This is a great community and I will continue to post.  Pictures coming tonight of the final setup.  Gotta clean the living room from all the mess I made before you get to see my setup.  Happy listening to you all!