Solid State amps known to sound good with Klipsch

mark1101

The Hypex UcD amps are good (way better with an old-school big iron power supply), but I want to hear the new Ncore series. I could see the ncore moving to the top of my list.

I've always been curious on the buzz about D-Class amplifiers used as a main amp... are those Hypex boards where buzz is at these days? ...

Anyone else experiment with kits and what were your reactions?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Hypex UcD amps are good (way better with an old-school big iron power supply), but I want to hear the new Ncore series. I could see the ncore moving to the top of my list.

I've always been curious on the buzz about D-Class amplifiers used as a main amp... are those Hypex boards where buzz is at these days? ...

Anyone else experiment with kits and what were your reactions?

I churned through a bunch of class D amps over the past few years. I really liked the Bel Canto and Wyred 4 Sound amps. The Peachtree 220 was decent, I even tried the diy classdaudio.com amp which was in the same ballpark as the Peachtree as far as sound. In the end I'm back to using an old class a/b Atlantic Technology amplifier. I did not have Klipsch speakers at the time so I cannot say it they mate well. In the end it was more cost effective to go with a classic a/b amp.

So I have a fine condition

SONY TA-3200F

I have a chance of picking up another one for a fair price. I think its sounds good but I really would like some other opinions on it.

Your thoughts please?

TY

Mark

I know some people who are crazy over the older Sony stuff like you have. They were really over-built and very reliable able.

If you can grab another in good condition for a decent price, do it.

I churned through a bunch of class D amps over the past few years. I really liked the Bel Canto and Wyred 4 Sound amps. The Peachtree 220 was decent, I even tried the diy classdaudio.com amp which was in the same ballpark as the Peachtree as far as sound. In the end I'm back to using an old class a/b Atlantic Technology amplifier. I did not have Klipsch speakers at the time so I cannot say it they mate well. In the end it was more cost effective to go with a classic a/b amp.

Thanks for your input… I guess those class D amps look like bargains in their kit forms, but lose their price advantage once you start adding all the other required hardware that isn’t included.  Given the Heritage series high efficiency, power isn’t an issue even with Class A/B amps…

Jeff Rowland also worked very well, but they are $$$$$

Jeff Rowland isn't mentioned very often, so I had to comment (there goes my reputation with my fellow tube guys  :D) .  His Model 1 amp, from around 25 years ago, is the only solid state amp which I probably could have lived with when combined with any Heritage series speaker.  With a passive line stage (mine, of course) between the source and amp, it was very "tube like".  Even the guys working at the Klipsch dealer at which I used to hang out were very surprised at its performance.  Below is a link to the manual which highlights just how advanced and versatile the amp is, as well as its very well designed circuitry which allows its output power to almost quadruple from 8 down to 2 ohms.  Do these ever come up on the used market?  If so, it's worthy of consideration (now my reputation is really gone!).

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/79447/Jeff-Rowland-1.html

Maynard

Here you go, better jump on it while it's still available!

https://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-jeff-rowland-model-1-amp-2015-10-07-amplifiers-95819-sacramento-ca

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

A shameless plug for my office stereo, an Onkyo C-7030 CDP driving an Emotiva mini-X a-100 (50Wpc) which feeds, via equal 10ft length runs of #14 Cu zipcord, my pair of RB-81ii's. My amp is quiet to a fault - and the ensemble just sounds 'right'. Sorry for bringing up an old post, but I just had to relate my happy experience!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone try the newish Yamaha 2 ch. A-S integrated amps with the heritage speakers? I've read that the Yammies can be bright but that there are ways to calm that down.

-Derek

I don't have any of the large Heritage(Khorns, Belles, La Scalas, Cornwalls) so take my opinion for what it's worth. 

I have the Yamaha A-S1000 driving my RB-75s and bright is not a way I would describe the sound.  Neutral, natural, and detailed are better descriptions.

Bill

• 1 month later...

Been running a Crown XLS2502 with my simple R28F's and it sounds great to me. Awesome sounds staging and depth with unlimited power reserves. Crown has $50.00 off until June to make trying one out a little less painful.

Dealer i ordered from was great to deal with also.

I sold my last tube amp. It sounds great, but so do my Wiener TPA3118, h/k 630 and h/k 730. I'm too old to still enjoy fussing with tubes. I'd rather spend my golden years enjoying music than dissecting sound effects recordings.

• Like 2