Solid State amps known to sound good with Klipsch

mark1101

On 9/30/2016 at 5:01 PM, SWL said:

In my experience, vintage early to mid-70's Marantz has always worked well for me with Klipsch. Warm, rich sound that since I've had all of mine restored I can add 'detailed and clean' to the description. For the last few months a Model 30 combined with a Model 3600 have been sounding great together.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

+1 on the 70's Marantz.

On 9/30/2016 at 6:56 PM, RetiredUSA said:

dont know the exact model number....it was a pioneer 21 something or another.  it was an SS class A amp that put out 30 watts...you could fry eggs on the heat sinks....the amp looked like a tube amp and sounded like one.  4 caps the size of coke cans.   I have owned 3 of them in my lifetime and always regret I dont have one now.

That helps a lot

:P

Old skule silver face or newer black face or...?

2 hours ago, Zoef said:

(Did not read the whole thread. Sorry)
Anybody tried a old Sansui ?
AU9900 perhaps?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

Yes. Both integrated amps and separates (and receivers). Like any other brand, there are the TOTL, the ones that I can afford and then there are the ones to stay away from. 

The AU9900 is one to have. 

Thanks! I'm looking to buy a au9900 in the future.
On the topic of old amps...I have 2 lenco a600 amps collecting dust. They where given to me . They need some work. Still have not done this because i think there not worth the trouble......

• 2 weeks later...

about transistor amps....

Great sound has to come from a complete system not just amps, or not just speakers......

I have been busy with work. I did have a free day. I installed the Volti full system. I have never heard anything like this.  Then I connected my pre amp to amp using the DC option. The BA F1 amplifies from dc to 600,000 hz. This resulted in a noticeable improvement yet again. Volti with the tratrix (sp) is far better sounding than exponential. The 2" throat on the BMS mid, reproduces ( in addition to the dc connection) sounds that I hear now that I never heard before.  Pink Floyd welcome to the machine is actually scary. I can feel the bass in the chair and behind my neck. All this sound at less than 2 watts.... most of the time less than one watt.  Horn loaded base is incredibly efficient and accurate.  So powerful, one has to listen to understand and appreciate.  The woofers were just  total crap compared to the Crites.   To be honest, I have achieved NIRVANA!   I have arrived at  Audio Valhalla.  I happened to listen to martin-logan and Macintosh tube amp at best buy. That $60,000 system sounds like a 2 transistor radio in comparison.

19 hours ago, 2Bmusic said:

about transistor amps....

Great sound has to come from a complete system not just amps, or not just speakers......

I have been busy with work. I did have a free day. I installed the Volti full system. I have never heard anything like this.  Then I connected my pre amp to amp using the DC option. The BA F1 amplifies from dc to 600,000 hz. This resulted in a noticeable improvement yet again. Volti with the tratrix (sp) is far better sounding than exponential. The 2" throat on the BMS mid, reproduces ( in addition to the dc connection) sounds that I hear now that I never heard before.  Pink Floyd welcome to the machine is actually scary. I can feel the bass in the chair and behind my neck. All this sound at less than 2 watts.... most of the time less than one watt.  Horn loaded base is incredibly efficient and accurate.  So powerful, one has to listen to understand and appreciate.  The woofers were just  total crap compared to the Crites.   To be honest, I have achieved NIRVANA!   I have arrived at  Audio Valhalla.  I happened to listen to martin-logan and Macintosh tube amp at best buy. That $60,000 system sounds like a 2 transistor radio in comparison.

I want to visit your Best Buy. 

On 10/2/2016 at 9:31 AM, Zoef said:

Thanks! I'm looking to buy a au9900 in the future.
On the topic of old amps...I have 2 lenco a600 amps collecting dust. They where given to me . They need some work. Still have not done this because i think there not worth the trouble......

Do it. 

My early 70's Zenith Allegro Stereo Console sounds excellent through my Heresy 1's and KLF 20's, haven't tried the Chorus 2's yet. I was quite surprised at the low noise floor and overall quality through these speakers. I believe it's 30 watts rms, and was plenty loud. It was cool to listen to some old 8 Tracks at volume, though cassettes sound best, using my Fisher deck through the line input. Got the low end really thumping thanks to treble and bass eq. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Today The wife and I listened to a Carver M500t powering my LaScala's. This amp is loan to me..... BarryG from the carver site brought it over a couple months back. Even though we played it the day BarryG came over I really haven't sat down and really listened to it. 

I enjoyed the time with it today. I do not own one of these amps but I can see myself getting one of these. I think Barry told me he might be selling this one... Hmmmm maybe that's why he left it with me:P

MKP :-)

IMG_20161127_172831.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hello,

New member here, my first post.

I bought this week a pair of Heresies iii, from Crutchfield, never heard them before, but man I am glad I do have those babies now.:D

I paired them with my Peachtree Nova 65se at first, sounded great, then moved to the Peachtree Nova 220se, and they sound marvelous. I have a plethora of other amps/integrated amps, but the this combination is really sweet and gorgeous. I was wondering if someone has had a similar setup, or experience with Peachtree and Heresies.

The best amp for me is the one I bought with a pair of Forte II a few years ago.  The seller had a Musical Fidelity A2 from the UK and I never had anything but receivers.  His set up sounded wonderful to my ears so I bought the amp, too.  Described as Class A, at 25 watts; it's a delight and really drives those Fortes distortion-free to volumes beyond anything reasonable for my space.  And it helps keep my office warm in the winter!

Musical Fidelity A2 image-front.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/13/2016 at 0:54 AM, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Do it. 

Just threw an au 6600 into my modest mix. With a Thorens table on one side and the Forte ii's on the the other the living room has never sounded so harmonious. I am saving my pennies for an au 111 now.

IMG_2147.JPG

IMG_2148.JPG

Edited by Big Star
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Big Star said:
On 10/13/2016 at 0:54 AM, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Do it. 

Just threw an au 6600 into my modest mix. With a Thorens table on one side and the Forte ii's on the the other the living room has never sounded so harmonious. I am saving my pennies for an au 111 now.

There is something about a lot of the older Sansui AU equipment. It has detail that most amps don't. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...