Solid State amps known to sound good with Klipsch

mark1101

I haven't heard a current dumping amplifier, and as I read about it - it is essentially a small class A driving a big class B cascaded stage.  Other sources state that it is an "ingenious implementation of a class C" (less than 180 degree phase operation) amplifier. 

Whatever the definition, it looks to be a "the mother of invention is necessity" design for Quad electrostatics that have about 1 ohm impedance at 20 kHz - like all true electrostat radiators, and that require an amplifier of great current capability to drive them. 

It would be interesting to hear a Quad 405 connected to a Klipsch speaker.  As I read about the Quad 405 amplifier, it has a damping factor of 200 (i.e., 0.04 ohm output impedance), so it should behave very well indeed without any EQ needed to correct its FR due to driver/crossover loading.

Chris

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

I've always been partial to vintage Marantz receivers driving Klipsch Heritage speakers. That said up until recently I drove my Heresys with an Onkyo Integra integrated amp and was very pleased with the sound the set produced. Sadly the Onkyo amp went TU so I'm on the hunt for a replacement that I can live with and afford.

What I perceive as my first "real" stereo system was assembled 74-75 when I was 16 to 17. It consisted of a Marantz 2240 receiver, a pair of Belles, a Dual 1249 TT with a Shure V15 cartridge, a Pioneer CTX-9191 cassette deck and an Akai GX-Whatever R2R deck. That system stayed with me for many years with very little change. Were it not for a VERY ugly divorce I'd probably still have most of it.

• Like 1

I originally ran my Khorns with an Adcom GFA 585LE back in the 90's in 2 channel, as well used a Pioneer VSX D1S when I moved away from 2 channel. Over time I went with a Marantz Reference SR18EX A\V Receiver(this was a beast) for HT and had 3 Marantz MA700 mono blocks bridged for the fronts and centre in 2001. Now with 3 seperate systems for HT and and 2 channel I am using a Marantz SR7008 A\V Receiver with the 3 MA700's in HT and in 2 channel mode using a 1976 Marantz 2275 and 2245, now and then switch out with a Marantz PM8004 Intergrated amp.

I guess I love Marantz but must admit I do miss the brute force of my old Adcom GFA 585 Limited Edition...a true beast! 

Also back in the early 2000's alot of folks on this board were using Denon with their Klipsch but that seems to have faded somewhat and alot are using Marantz now. 

I don't have any experience with tube amps, but some Class D amps are said to sound "tubey".  I've been running a pair of Yamaha MX-D1 power amps with 510 JubScala IIs with very good results.

The sound is very detailed, as if the whole stage is illuminated all the way to the back, and everything is revealed.  When I got the first one, I hooked it up to a pair of Heresy IIs, and after hearing them driven by an AV receiver, the big power amp was a revelation in terms of clarity and power.

The specs are pretty high:  100 dB crosstalk, 120 dB SNR, 500 Wpc, and listening confirms it all.

Edited by Islander

I think the McIntosh are my favorite sounding thus far....they're just really really good on all points.

The Yamaha MX-D1 is my second favorite.

The Hypex UcD amps are good (way better with an old-school big iron power supply), but I want to hear the new Ncore series. I could see the ncore moving to the top of my list.

I've always preferred the sound of Outlaw Audio over Emotiva.

And I would agree about the old HK X30 receivers. They all need cap refreshes by now, but when running well they are mighty fine sounding.

I have an Aragon 2007 and a 2002 which push my RF-7s. I have a Yamaha M-70 for my Chorus Is. Both the Aragons and the Yamaha work excellent with my Klipsch. I did have to put in a cheater plug to get rid of a nasty hum on my Aragon/RF-7 system. I had tried just about everything else, but could not get rid of it. Now everything is perfectly quiet at idle.   

I have had good success with a SONY ES-500 & my ROTEL -1070, both integrated amps, as well as my McINTOSH MC-2105. I will be rotating in a recently restored SAE-501 power amp in the near future, hopefully there will be good synergy with that one as well.

For me it has been Classé Audio.  Jeff Rowland also worked very well, but they are $$$$$ and I felt the Classé was just about as good but much lower price so a better overall value.  Although they are primarily a tube company, Audio Research also makes some solid state stuff that might be worth trying.  I have near heard an ARC solid state amp with Klipsch, but I did have a solid state ARC preamp (LS-3) for several years that was outstanding.

• Like 1

For me it has been Classé Audio.  Jeff Rowland also worked very well, but they are $$$$$ and I felt the Classé was just about as good but much lower price so a better overall value.  Although they are primarily a tube company, Audio Research also makes some solid state stuff that might be worth trying.  I have near heard an ARC solid state amp with Klipsch, but I did have a solid state ARC preamp (LS-3) for several years that was outstanding.

I used to have a pair of Classe DR-10s, and they were awesome amps!

• Like 1

Jeff Rowland also worked very well, but they are $$$$$

Jeff Rowland isn't mentioned very often, so I had to comment (there goes my reputation with my fellow tube guys  :D) .  His Model 1 amp, from around 25 years ago, is the only solid state amp which I probably could have lived with when combined with any Heritage series speaker.  With a passive line stage (mine, of course) between the source and amp, it was very "tube like".  Even the guys working at the Klipsch dealer at which I used to hang out were very surprised at its performance.  Below is a link to the manual which highlights just how advanced and versatile the amp is, as well as its very well designed circuitry which allows its output power to almost quadruple from 8 down to 2 ohms.  Do these ever come up on the used market?  If so, it's worthy of consideration (now my reputation is really gone!).

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/79447/Jeff-Rowland-1.html

Maynard

Edited by tube fanatic
  • Like 1

Jeff Rowland also worked very well, but they are $$$$$

Jeff Rowland isn't mentioned very often, so I had to comment (there goes my reputation with my fellow tube guys  :D) .  His Model 1 amp, from around 25 years ago, is the only solid state amp which I probably could have lived with when combined with any Heritage series speaker.  With a passive line stage (mine, of course) between the source and amp, it was very "tube like".  Even the guys working at the Klipsch dealer at which I used to hang out were very surprised at its performance.  Below is a link to the manual which highlights just how advanced and versatile the amp is, as well as its very well designed circuitry which allows its output power to almost quadruple from 8 down to 2 ohms.  Do these ever come up on the used market?  If so, it's worthy of consideration (now my reputation is really gone!).

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/79447/Jeff-Rowland-1.html

Maynard

Yes, Jeff Rowland is about as good as it gets with solid state.  They build some quality stuff.  I toured their factory in Colorado Springs several years ago and it was pretty neat.  Jeff Rowland wasn't there at the time but it would've been neat to meet him.  There have been a few of the Model 1s for sale not too long ago that I had my eye on, so they do come up for sale but not that often.

https://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-jeff-rowland-design-group-model-1-stereo-bridged-mono-amplifier-tested-perfect-cleaned-2013-10-31-amplifiers-60610-chicago-il

The Rowland was the last solid-state amp I had in my primary system -- I have other solid state amps that are used elsewhere or are in closets.

Edited by JMON

"I do not think I have ever heard anyone say that their McIntosh did not sound great with Klipsch"

Most older McIntosh amplifiers sound dull, lacking in detail, and muddy in the bass.

That said, it is a sin of omission, not commission, so I would say many could live with it.

Like an old car getting new shocks and tires, an older McIntosh will get a new lease on life with replacing the old, dried-out capacitors.

Dennis,

Your opinion on this one...does the use of autoformers on the output stage of McIntosh amps increase the "darkness" effect, even on their SS amplifiers?

The following from Roger Russell:

The McIntosh Autoformer

Transistor power output circuits can match 8-ohm loads directly. This eliminates the need for the output transformer for most manufacturers. However, output stages that are designed to operate into an optimum load of 8 ohms can double or quadruple heat dissipation when operating into 4 or 2 ohm loads. At some frequencies, speakers rated at 8 ohms can dip as low as 4 ohms. Some 4-ohm systems can dip even lower. This mismatch can cause the amplifier to exceed its thermal dissipation limits.

On the other hand, if an amplifier is designed for an optimum load of one or two ohms, a low impedance load would be no problem. However, less power would be available for a speaker having 4 or 8 ohms impedance.

The unique McIntosh output autoformer was the answer. Since McIntosh output stages were connected in a single ended push-pull circuit, one side of the output was always connected to ground. They were typically designed to work into an optimum load of 2.1 ohms. The matching autoformer was connected directly to the output. In the MC2505 amplifier, the matching output was for 4, 8 and 16 ohms. Other impedances became available in later amplifiers. Full continuous amplifier power could be delivered to each of these loads. There qas no danger of exceeding safe limits or overheating.

The autoformer also protected the speakers from damage in the event of amplifier failure. Should a direct current component appear at the amplifier output, it was shunted by the low DC resistance of the autoformer, instead of passing through the speaker voice coil, which could damage the speaker or even cause a fire.

McIntosh autoformers continued to be used in the "top-of-the-line" amplifiers. They were all designed and manufactured by McIntosh. Although the autoformers added extra cost, weight and took up extra space, they assured a safe, optimum match to a variety of speakers and speaker hook-ups. They were constructed and performed in the McIntosh tradition of excellence.

"Your opinion on this one...does the use of autoformers on the output stage of McIntosh amps increase the "darkness" effect, even on their SS amplifiers?"

Not at all.

With some capacitor mods the McIntosh sound can be brilliant with tight, slamming bass.

I used to think an amplifier had to have the basic Leach topology to sound the best.

After modifying a MC2120 I changed my mind, it sounded virtually identical to the Leach!

The electrolytics in the signal path blur all the HF detail, and the lack of supply bypass caps make the bass muddy.

The DF of the MC2120 is only 14!

After adding bypass caps the MC2120 could slam harder than any other amp in the store!