What Solid State Amps don't sound good with Klipsch Speakers?

Zen Traveler

I saw this discussion and decided it would be better to start a new thread on the topic. :)

Since the amp everyone has in their system is the best thing since sliced bread, which it usually is, we might as well talk about what amps they didn't like or sold because of it.

Righto!   I'd like to know what sounds bad with klipsch...

WHOA!  I'm a newbie again :o

What are the Solid State amps that don't work well with Klipsch speakers?

Edited by Zen Traveler

Something with an idle hiss or crappy noise floor would be the first boat anchor flag for me, like some budget high gain structured amps.  Some of the "budget" amps out there work as good as any with the mid/lower Reference line, but once you get in the upper Heritage line or have something modified with much higher sensitivity and/or upgraded mid drivers is when you can really start picking out resolution and an over compressed sound. I wouldn't kick anything to the curb because it had a different sound whether it was bright, clinical or allowing added resolution and on the other side of things it being darker, warmer and even glossing over some details. IMO,  Its all up to what your ears like. 

Loud Hiss or Hum would be terrible with speakers as efficient as a Klipschorn.  I had to replace a NAD premp because it hissed like a puff adder in heat through my Khorns, even though the factory authorized station checked it and found it to meet specs.  It also had a nasty hum Neither one showed up on my dealer's Paradigms.

My NAD power amps sound fine, though ... still using them.  Any amp will probably hiss a bit if you get your ears within a couple of feet of a Khorn, La Scala, Belle, or, I presume, a Jub or some of the cinema/pro lines.  Hiss that soft can be ignored from listening position.

Edited by garyrc

Members PipPipPipPip 1,349 posts LocationAR Offline Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:30 PM Something with an idle hiss or crappy noise floor would be the first boat anchor flag for me, like some budget high gain structured amps. Some of the "budget" amps out there work as good as any with the mid/lower Reference line,

Loud hiss orr hum is clearly noticeable with any of the Reference speakers.  I don't mean to pick on some of the old Emotiva amps but, I heard so many complaints that I have never even considered them for my systems.

• Like 1

The two Crown XTi-1000s had annoying DSP noise (independent of gain control setting) while bi-amping my Jubs, which have 110 db/watt at one meter sensitivity on the top end.  They really didn't sound very good.  I don't recommend them for that role.

However, I now use both of them for powering the TH subs in bridge mode, and they're pretty spectacular in that role...able to EQ, phase shift, limit, and cross over to the subs (low pass) while delivering more than a kilowatt of available power in bridge mode.  I recommend them doing that job.

I used a Carver M1.5T and a Carver C-2 preamp with the Khorns.  The amplifier sounded clean and reasonably crisp, but the preamp was noisy and presented noticeable distortion, sounding flat, distant, and opaque.

Crown D-75As sound remarkably clean and detailed enough to justify keeping them in my setup (center tri-amped JuBelle, surround biamped Cornwalls) for the center and surround channels.  It takes a careful listen to hear the difference between the FW F3 and the D-75As. This has continued to surprise me.

D-45 Update_The Duke_Klipsch.pdf

Generally speaking, I've found that higher quality amplifiers of modest or even low output power capabilities sound better on Jubs, but typically not very transparent and detailed.  The First Watt F3 is spectacular on the Jub HF channel, however.  More discussion on Pass's JFET design philosophy and design simplicity in a future thread.  The fewer gain stages and the lower the feedback amount apparently improves the listening performance audibly.. 

Chris

Edited by Chris A

Updated previous post to link to a thread and provided saved pdf file of an apparently deleted forum thread on the update to the Crown D-45--called "The Duke". 

The D-45 is the same amplifier as the D-75A, but with smaller power supply and output power transistors--so the upgrade is directly applicable to the D-75A.

Chris

• Like 1

Onkyo integrated's

Though not an integrated amp, my Integra DTM-40.4 stereo receiver sounds fantastic with my Heresy II's. As a matter of fact it sounds as good as my previous Luxman R-117 and that is some tough company.

Bill

Edited by willland
  • Like 1

Updated previous post to link to a thread and provided saved pdf file of an apparently deleted forum thread on the update to the Crown D-45--called "The Duke". 

The D-45 is the same amplifier as the D-75A, but with smaller power supply and output power transistors--so the upgrade is directly applicable to the D-75A.

Chris

I had a Crown D75 for about 2 days before I returned it. I must have gotten a defective one because it had a lot of hiss, plus turn on thumps (which I think no amp should have, let alone a Pro Amp from a Studio). 

I had a Crown D75 for about 2 days before I returned it. I must have gotten a defective one because it had a lot of hiss, plus turn on thumps

No hiss or turn-on transients in any of the 8 used D-75As that I have, even powering the K-402s/TADs which are very efficient; but they all have a mild turn-off thump...which is no biggie.  It's my system's way of saying "good night" when I turn in for the evening. :sleep: 

Chris

• Like 1

Receivers I have had / listened to on K-Horns;

Older Pioneer Silver finish

Newer Pioneer

Newer Pioneer Elite

Old Marantz

Older Yamaha

Newer Harmon Kardon

Denon

Nakamichi TA-4A

Amplifiers;

Many Adcom including years of time with GFA-7000 and GFA-565 Mono Blocks

Vintage NAD when new

Carver

Nakamichi PA-7s and PA-7IIs and PA-7As.

Best Receiver I have heard for my ears is the Nakamichi, followed by Vintage Marantz, vintage Pioneer and vintage Yamaha.

Amps, even when I listened to them both many times brand new, there was a clearly audible difference in the Nakamichi and the NADs and the Nakamichi was clearly better.

Adcoms were the least in amps I have owned, the big 565 model 300 watt mono amps add grunt / Bass, but I liked several of the receivers better by themselves.

Roger

• Like 2

Chris

Thanks for posting the link. I'd would have thought that thread would have been deleted for good. It's good information to get a bit more refinement, (sound quality) out of the D-75/45 series amplifiers.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest David H

Its one thing to list the amps you like, its a whole different ball game to throw is what you think sounds lousy.

On that note, I have not had luck with pro gear on Klipsch.

To date, not heard a Yamaha on Klipsch that was enjoyable. I am sure their are good ones.

Carver Magnetic field amps - not so good on Klipsch, but certainly have their place.

Adcom 5800 Lifeless Powerhouse. Possibly due to age.

There are numerous more, however its just knit picking.

Dave

• Like 1

Its one thing to list the amps you like, its a whole different ball game to throw is what you think sounds lousy.

On that note, I have not had luck with pro gear on Klipsch.

To date, not heard a Yamaha on Klipsch that was enjoyable. I am sure their are good ones.

Carver Magnetic field amps - not so good on Klipsch, but certainly have their place.

Adcom 5800 Lifeless Powerhouse. Possibly due to age.

There are numerous more, however its just knit picking.

Dave

I really like the way the Yamaha pro P2500S sounded with my Klipsch speakers. I only got to listen to the HIPs with them but I didn't find any problems with the amps and HIPs... Of course the HIPs are pro speakers. :)

I do have to say though that the P2500s sounded great with my Qpies. :)

Edited by ellisr63