What Solid State Amps don't sound good with Klipsch Speakers?

Zen Traveler

On 2/5/2018 at 6:53 AM, wdecho said:

There are many that are perfectly happy with Yamaha amplifiers. 

More than happy with my 48.5lbs A-S1000 integrated.

Got to demo this CR-2040 for a while before I sold it for a neighbor.  Sounded excellent with Heresys and RB-75s.

Image result for yamaha CR-2040

Never heard Yamaha with Khorns, Belles, or La Scalas but would not be surprised if they were on the bright side.

Bill

• Like 1

21 hours ago, willland said:

More than happy with my 48.5lbs A-S1000 integrated.

Got to demo this CR-2040 for a while before I sold it for a neighbor.  Sounded excellent with Heresys and RB-75s.

Image result for yamaha CR-2040

Never heard Yamaha with Khorns, Belles, or La Scalas but would not be surprised if they were on the bright side.

Bill

Yeah!  ...and you should hear it NOW after a rebuild!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I use a Yamaha AS1100 with my LaScala II and there's no hiss or hum, dead silence from the speakers.  It has a detailed, clinical, natural sound, which I prefer over an engineered or a smooth warm sound.  I don't have them placed directly in corners but all the bass is produced by the amp.  You can hear everything, the good and the bad, of the source material.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2018 at 7:31 AM, MVC said:

I use a Yamaha AS1100 with my LaScala II and there's no hiss or hum, dead silence from the speakers.  It has a detailed, clinical, natural sound, which I prefer over an engineered or a smooth warm sound. 

Nice to hear that the A-S1100 mates well with crazy efficient and dynamic LaScala IIs.  My A-S1000 is dead quiet also with my RB-75s and RF-63s and produces a very natural and balanced sound without any exaggeration of frequencies.  

Bill

• 5 weeks later...

Behringer amps sound like crap with any speakers including Klipsch.  I have used over 30 Pro amps with my different speaker setups. I had good experiences with Yamaha P-Series, Crown XLI series, Samson amps, and Lab Gruppen IPD 2400 class D amp.

I would never use low watt receivers to power any of my speaker setups. 

I had an ST-120... terrible amp. Traded it for some other audio gear. The guy who got it lost it when his cat decided to urinate on it. Lucky for the cat it wasn't on, but it corroded before he found the evil deed had been done. Probably the best thing that could have happened to that amp.

Bruce

• Haha 2

When I picked up my pair of first pair of Klipsch Heritage, a pair of 90s LaScalas off craigslist, it was bundled with an Adcom 555ii amp and Adcom GTP 400. Listening with that 400 preamp almost turned me off the sale, it isnt bad per se, but certain music was unbearable in the fatiguing high end and seemed slightly veiled so I had to mess with the tone controls to tame it. No worries, I thought as I bought the speakers, I have a decent Onkyo reciever that is collecting dust I can use for the time being. This was a bad choice.  

Haha, this is funny to me now, but you know that feeling you get when buyers remorse sets in. All because the soothing noise you expect to hear is crystal clear high end being shoved in your ears forceably and you are afraid to admit this to your wife. Thankfully its all sorted out now, I am actually still using the 555ii paired with a few other pre amps and it sounds worlds better. 

17 hours ago, Marvel said:

I had an ST-120... terrible amp. Traded it for some other audio gear. The guy who got it lost it when his cat decided to urinate on it. Lucky for the cat it wasn't on, but it corroded before he found the evil deed had been done. Probably the best thing that could have happened to that amp.

Bruce

That cat was steaming music way ahead of the curve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/12/2018 at 6:44 PM, thebes said:

What Solid State Amps don't sound good with Klipsch Speakers?

Answer: All of them!

Tubes rule!!!!

The Tube Collective (raised fist with red flag waving in the background)

Somebody finally got to the point. To quote Alex Trebek, "The answer is"......Most all of them. Not that it HAS to be tube, but should be a specially selected solid state amp for these speakers. The old Nak, Mac, and Luxman all made pretty good SS choices for Heritage.

• 2 weeks later...