Discontinued rb-61 vs rs-42 for side surround?

bass911

I'm trying to pick between the 2 for side surround. I'll probably just be running 5.1 right now. I have the rf82's, rc62, r-115sw. It's been said that the rs42 are a too small match for the rf82's? I know it doesn't mean much, but I want the rb61 because of the bass extension and they are twice as heavy. Can the rs42 keep up with the rf82's on loud music? I didn't really want mix and match with the newer models. My goal in the future is to get dts-x going with an Onkyo nr-646 and add the rest of speakers later. I'm trying to buy the surrounds right now online. Anyone know which one I should get?

Edited by bass911

My RS-42 II's are keeping up just fine with my RF-3 II's. They're the weak link in my configuration too, but they don't really have an issue. I think for side surround purposes, the RS line is better, but for rear surround the RB line would be good.

• Like 1

I would say that it would depend on how they are going to be positioned. If they are going to be placed directly to the left and the right of the main listening position, go with the RB-61's. If they are going to be positioned in more of a behind you area, go with the RS-42's. Just a humble opinion though.

Edited by K5SS

• Moderators
I would say that it would depend on how they are going to be positioned. If they are going to be placed directly to the left and the right of the main listening position, go with the RB-61's. If they are going to be positioned in more of a behind you area, go with the RS-42's. Just a humble opinion though.

My humble opinion is the exact opposite.  :D   I'd say RS for side surrounds and RB for back surrounds.

• Like 4

I've had RS-62's, RS-52's and RB-61's, all used as surround speakers. When my couch was against the rear wall, the RB-61's firing at the main listening position, had a much better sounding presence.

Now if there is room behind the couch, I totally agree with Youth;)

• 2 weeks later...

RS for SIDE

RB for REAR.

i have 2 pair's or RS-42's and they keep up just fine with my RF-7's.  (all 7 of my speakers are modified, so it might not be a fair argument).  the reason i have 2 pair's of RS-42's and don't use a RB for the rear, is because the seating position was with in 4'.