SOLD: Oak KLF-20's $700 (Kansas City)

CANT

Yes.... Midwest market is slow.... Sold three sets of towers/2centers (CL) 1 SVS PB10 sub (CL)

Three sets of surrounds/ one set of book shelfs (forum)

Kinda decided to sell everything not in use.... Still got a couple subs to sell.... But they Will sell.

The most difficult part is holding tight and not buying more..... Like I said it is a sickness..... Come on... Right now there is a pair of Hersey II's in Dubuque going for 350.00...wish I had a transporter.... Maybe I am better off not

Edited by oldred

I'm going to go ahead and close this listing for now...

I've had more scam attempts, low ball offers and disappearing acts than I can count and it's been driving me crazy. I wish I knew what was going on because I've never had this many issues selling any of my previous gear?! After the holidays I'll reassess what I want to do... 

Rockanroller, you should probably edit your phone # out of your posts. 

I don't respond to Craigslist replies that say generically "I want to buy your item."  This is not just a deal breaker, it isn't even a deal starter.

But this is the Klipsch board, and you have an offer to buy for cash.  I fully sympathize with you not wanting to deal with scammers, but one way I check out buyers is to get a phone number and talk ear-to-ear.  Mr. Rockanroller offered a phone number, which in my book rates at least a phone call.  Give the guy a chance to convince you he's legit.  Ask for references if he's bought audio gear before.

Still, it's your stuff and you may sell or not sell at your discretion and for your own reasons.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

He told you he wanted them with cash???? What seems to be the problem??  Rick

It's nothing against Rockanroller, he could be a very nice guy... but I already had one last offer I was in the middle of and Columbus, OH is 10hrs away from me. I guess if he really wanted to make the 20hr round trip to pick these up he could PM me but I figured he was probably better off waiting for something local to pop-up. I don't know, 8hrs round trip is kind of my max for this type of thing if I'm buying and I would have to REALLY want that item?

But this is the Klipsch board, and you have an offer to buy for cash...

Still, it's your stuff and you may sell or not sell at your discretion and for your own reasons.

Honestly, I would MUCH rather sell to some one on this forum because I feel like they will better understand what I am selling and appreciate it more but the forum isn't fool proof either...

At this point I am mostly holding off on the sale for my sanity. I've given my address to at least 3 people, after vetting, who then never showed up and stopped returning my emails/phone calls... which is a bit frustrating/unnerving... I just need a break 

• Like 1

At this point I am mostly holding off on the sale for my sanity. I've given my address to at least 3 people, after vetting, who then never showed up and stopped returning my emails/phone calls... which is a bit frustrating/unnerving... I just need a break

Like I said, I'm sympathetic.  It would be nice if you could simply do a business deal and be done with it, but a handshake deal just doesn't happen like it did in the past.  You really don't know who you are dealing with on CL, and you hear horror stories all the time.

I've been lucky with my CL deals, but I don't buy or sell that much stuff.  I don't have anybody come to my house.  We meet at the mall and once I met someone at the racquetball club for a phone, but it's all local to me.  I have heard of people arranging to meet someone hours away and then the other party does not show.  That would un-nerve me as well, since you now know someone is screwing with you.

I would trust a forum member to come to my house, but only after a conversation over the phone.  I've done business with several people here and I've had 100% good transactions with really good people.

As much as most of us don't like Ebay or Paypal, they have built-in safeguards for buyer and seller.  What else can you do?

• Like 1

I've been lucky with my CL deals, but I don't buy or sell that much stuff.  I don't have anybody come to my house.  We meet at the mall and once I met someone at the racquetball club for a phone, but it's all local to me.

Dave,

Re your comment above, how about the people who insist on actually listening to the speakers before handing over hundreds (or more) dollars?  I mean, I generally do (though, didn't listen on a recent purchase of $200--at the man's nice home).

What is a good, generally mutually satisfactory means of handling that?

Thanks.

I've been lucky with my CL deals, but I don't buy or sell that much stuff.  I don't have anybody come to my house.  We meet at the mall and once I met someone at the racquetball club for a phone, but it's all local to me.

Re your comment above, how about the people who insist on actually listening to the speakers before handing over hundreds (or more) dollars?  I mean, I generally do (though, didn't listen on a recent purchase of $200--at the man's nice home).

What is a good, generally mutually satisfactory means of handling that?

That's a good question.  Remember, I am in a rural area and although we don't have a lot of violent crime, we do have a significant amount of property crime.  I err on the side of caution, and I always consider the safety of my family.

My philosophy for selling is probably different from most of you guys because I have never sold any speakers.  I've bought them sight unseen, but not sold.  The seller met me in a parking lot in front of McDonald's.

When someone is buying a big ticket item the rules almost have to change, at least a bit.  Anyone wanting to put out (for instance) a thousand dollars for something isn't likely to be wanting to check out your house to see what they can steal.  In that case I might invite them over to try before they buy.  OTOH is I try to sell something small, like a phone for a hundred bucks that person isn't entitled to see what other gear I have in my house.

I have a small 15 watt amp that is battery powered that any iphone can plug into, and I'll meet them at the Walmart parking lot and they can listen to them work.  If I didn't want someone to check out my speakers in my house, that is what I would do. 

Some of you guys have items worth thousands of dollars, and you travel many hours to get gear.  If I had someone who put out that much effort, I am almost certainly going to allow them to audition an item.

Edited by wvu80

This message is for CANT.

As far as I am concern, three things: 

-one, how can you judge what distances I am willing to go to pick up speakers? I might have flown, packed them up and ship them! 

-two, how do you know I wanted to listen to the speakers ?

-three, why would you think that I might scam you? I posted my cell phone, and you did not call , or attempt too. I have bought quite  a few items on EBAY  i do have a five star rating. The fact that you assume all those facts "de facto makes you an ***....

So , please keep your speakers, because I am quite sure that someone will be willing to do a transaction with me.

Goodbye, Sir (sarcasm in the sir?!?!?!?)

Edited by rockanroller

• 6 months later...