Newbie here and first home theater

jloew

I think what scrappy is saying is that you'd be better off spending your $1000 budget on a really great pair of speakers than a good set of 5 speakers.

I 100% agree. In my home theater world, the center is the most important speaker, followed closely by the L/R You would find a good 3.1 setup is vastly superior to a mediocre 5.1 for the same money spent.

I agreed. At first i thought i could get by with a phantom center, but realised i did not like the way it panned around. And sometimes the mix would sound funny.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Lol man your all over the place. Rf-10 is a really small tower. It's an older version of the rf-42ii. I had them for a while. It's a good little theater. You can still find rf-42ii home theaters for sale. But you won't get your discount. Reference premiere stuff is good too. All of its better than the best buy stuff for sure.

• Like 1

Lol man your all over the place. Rf-10 is a really small tower. It's an older version of the rf-42ii. I had them for a while. It's a good little theater. You can still find rf-42ii home theaters for sale. But you won't get your discount. Reference premiere stuff is good too. All of its better than the best buy stuff for sure.

Agreed.  Jloew, we are doing our best to help guide you in a direction that is beneficial to you.  It may be time for you to pull the trigger on what you can afford, use some of our advice and just enjoy what you get.

I would try to stay away from the ones you mentioned.  Those are the cheap ones that Best Buy carries and have the aluminum tweeter.  I've heard them on multiple occasions, they just don't sound right as compared to the ones with the titanium tweets.  I'd rather have some better bookshelves with titanium than towers with aluminum compression drivers.  

• Like 1

I would try to stay away from the ones you mentioned.  Those are the cheap ones that Best Buy carries and have the aluminum tweeter.  I've heard them on multiple occasions, they just don't sound right as compared to the ones with the titanium tweets.  I'd rather have some better bookshelves with titanium than towers with aluminum compression drivers.  

Reiterating a previous suggestion, how about you start with a nice 2.1 system?  Or even a 3.1?  It would be more in your budget, and give you the flexibility to perhaps get a decent series of speaker you will enjoy for the long run.  You can always add speakers later.

I agree I plan on getting a 3.1 for now. Just searching for the right towers now and a center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, then all your questions are answered.  I say make a choice and stick to it.  You can grow the system later if you like it and have the funds.

I have read for first few pages of comments and felt I needed to chime in. I am not familiar with the denon or marantz receivers. I know that denon came very highly recommended, but I went with a pioneer elite sc-65 and got it for about $550 if I remember right. It is a good receiver and runs very cold (thanks ice amps). If you were willing to step away from the "deal" you get, I would highly recommend the pioneer sc series. As for the speakers, size would not really be a concern when filling an apartment with quality sound. I started with some reference level rsx speakers and they flooded my living room with breath taking sound. The bookshelf sized speakers are mode than enough in most cases and very high in build and sounf quality. I recommend hunting on craigslist, I got lucky and found an entire rf-7 7.1 matched set for 2,000. Yes this is abovery your range, but it just showcases that bang for buck you can find some great deals. My last bit of advice is to think about placement for the surrounds. I can tell you that it is quite important. My brother has a 5.1 Polk audio setup, and his rears are sitting next to his couch (no clearance behind couch). It doesn't sound very good.