Has anyone heard a 9.1.2 setup?

Superdave

No.. two different animals. I was just posting a uber-precise, big $$$$, extreme example of what our hobby has to offer. The Trinovv mic is designed to work with their proprietary systems & 3D mapping for items such as their Altitude 32 preamp (32 channels). Not really sure how a Echo can properly calibrate an AVR. You need to use the AVR's software to apply & calibrate any measurements.

But no worries, all existing Atmos capable AVR's have the Dolby Atmos Renderer (software) & decoder built-in. And Audyssey can calibrate your room with the existing mic. I wonder if future AVR's will have the desire or find it necessary for a similar 3D mic technology to obtain even more precision. Nut the Trinniov system is around $20,000 - $25,000. Not sure how fast the tech will trickle down to more modest systems 

This a great video in the link below, that covers a lot of Atmos 101. A bit long & somewhat dry, but still an informative presentation about bringing Atmos to the Home environment:

I really like how he explains object based audio vs. traditional channels. It also touches on "spatial coding" and how the Dolby Atmos Renderer will know  & adapt to the layout of your room, the number of speakers you have (or will have). Basically Atmos is extremely flexible and Atmos track will replicate the experience "custom" to your individual space.

STOP FEEDING MY HT ADDICTION!!  

Nice article man.  Good info.

• Like 1